• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd call it a botched marketing campaign and an engineering triumph. With that said, the consumer market will make BD into a failure because it doesn't beat Intel on white paper.

I'd call it a botched marketing campaign and an engineering triumph. With that said, the consumer market will make BD into a failure because it doesn't beat Intel on white paper.

Sorry, but I need clarification.. How does a chip that uses more than double the transistors and draws way more power yet performs worse equal an engineering triumph?

Simple, AMD did something that no other company has attempted, and they executed pretty damn well. This could have been a lot worse than it looks if they would have remained with their older architecture revision of BD.

Not really. The old one was outdated. Module Architecture is exactly the same thing as HT Architecture, but different in every way.

Like a Gold Fish and a Cat Fish are the same but different.

So what you are saying is that Bulldozer is a bottom feeder/glass licker like a catfish?

6Bl11.gif

;)

Funny... What I'm saying is that AMD is going to play Intel's game of core manipulation.

I wrote an article explaining all this.

Funny... What I'm saying is that AMD is going to play Intel's game of core manipulation.

I wrote an article explaining all this.

George, you know I'm just playing with you. I'll give that article a read tonight if I have some time, I'm really interested in how it all works. :popcorn:

the consumer market is the only thing that will keep BD from being a failure.

"8 cores" will sell better than 4c+4t. doesn't matter if it is slower the average user won't know that and they definitely will not know what hyper threading is.

for OEM they are noting going to be paying an inflated price for BD so it will preform admirable I would expect.

If I didn't already have a nice, stable OC'd 1090T-based system, I would still end up buying a BD CPU - once the prices come down to realistic levels. This, despite my plans (coming to fruition soon) to build an Intel-based rig.

As others have noted, OEM's will easily sell BD simply because they can say "It has 8 cores while Intel's CPU's only have 4/6".

Most people buy computers without doing much research, let alone, scouring forums/test sites for benchmark data.

When I gave a friend my old AMD Phenom II X4 940-based system, I told her "It has 4 cores running @ 3GHz and 8GB of ram, etc". Her reply: "What does that mean in English?". "It's really fast!" I answered. That was enough for her, and arguably most others.

Having sold consumer electronics for a number of years, if the price is right BD will sell well, I remember when the P4 came out it would still sell more than AMD x64 systems because of intel marketing even if you explained that it was actually faster and more efficient than the P4.

Power consumption is not a factor for the average consumer, they never turn power savings off and they never leave thier pc on 24/7 and BD is actually pretty fast for everyday use and will most likely be much faster than what they are replacing leaving happy customers anyway.

The consumer market causing the downfall of the BD is only an effect. The cause is by the benchmarks done over the CPU, therefore effecting the decisions of the customers who still have the mentality that the Benchmarks are everything, and a CPU must be better then all the others. I have actually realized this recently when I began to ponder over the real concepts of a benchmark. And it completely blew my mind. Seeing how a core 2 duo and an Anthalon 2x still kicks but in the game world, I see how it works.

If you surf the net a bit, you will find that people will immediately say BD is a fail core. None of them has actually bought it, but they have seen the benchmarks, and they are looking at it as what it was supposed to be, and not what it is.

Explain to someone that a Benchmark is over processes that you will rarely if ever run into, and should not be the guideline when buying a CPU, and they will throw a fit. Tell someone that a Avg FPS is only for Speed stability and not speed as a whole, and they will scream. Tell someone that in real world scenarios a certain core will pull through indefinitely, the benches say other wise in the mentality of your peer. The benchmarks are seen as a marketing method to some average consumers and they ignore them completely. For the more experienced customers, who have been in the game for a while, the Benches means everything. So who typically makes a good decision?

Last edited:
The consumer market causing the downfall of the BD is only an effect. The cause is by the benchmarks done over the CPU, therefore effecting the decisions of the customers who still have the mentality that the Benchmarks are everything, and a CPU must be better then all the others. I have actually realized this recently when I began to ponder over the real concepts of a benchmark. And it completely blew my mind. Seeing how a core 2 duo and an Anthalon 2x still kicks but in the game world, I see how it works.

If you surf the net a bit, you will find that people will immediately say BD is a fail core. None of them has actually bought it, but they have seen the benchmarks, and they are looking at it as what it was supposed to be, and not what it is.

Explain to someone that a Benchmark is over processes that you will rarely if ever run into, and should not be the guideline when buying a CPU, and they will throw a fit. Tell someone that a Avg FPS is only for Speed stability and not speed as a whole, and they will scream. Tell someone that in real world scenarios a certain core will pull through indefinitely, the benches say other wise in the mentality of your peer. The benchmarks are seen as a marketing method to some average consumers and they ignore them completely. For the more experienced customers, who have been in the game for a while, the Benches means everything. So who typically makes a good decision?

Benchmarks are not just a 'marketing method,' they are a measurement of the performance of the processor at certain tasks. The informed consumer will look at these performance measurements, along with price, cost of ownership (power use and mobo price), and possibly brand preference.

The Anthalon 2x (???) does not "kick butt" in the game world, at least not in the games I play. IPC is king, and Sandy is the only way to go for me. Yes, it wins in benchmarks, because it also wins for my actual uses, and not by a small margin. It's simply disingenuous to claim that looking at benchmarks is not an important part of the CPU selection process. Would you really suggest that folks in the market for a new processor just go with whichever one comes in the nicest looking box?

I'll quote this part again, because it's important:

Looking at what it actually is... Overpriced, underperforming. Mince words all you like, but that's a simple fact. The 8150 should sell for about $200 based on how it performs.

Marketing and what's on the shelf are what sells computers. Does it play games? Does it play videos on my 52 inch TV? Even those points are losing out to consoles, internet appliances and TVs that hookup directly to internet. Seriously, how many people do you know that build their own? Other than techs and my family I don't know anybody else who does. I was told that in Boise, Idaho, Newegg will be my friend because there are hardly any places to get parts, and that's a fairly big town. 90% of computer tech's work is to run interference on viruses and build networks, not build systems. Somebody come up with stats for custom builds opposed to off the shelf. Netbooks, tablets, consoles, most consumers are fine with those choices, not if the cpu is 6 core or 8 core. Price and function.

Not really, the problem is calling is an 8 core when its not in reallity an 8 core. Marketing won out over common sense it would appear.

Likewise, it's the server workloads where it will truly shine.

Not really, the problem is calling is an 8 core when its not in reallity an 8 core. Marketing won out over common sense it would appear.

Likewise, it's the server workloads where it will truly shine.

But it won't unless heat output and power draw isn't an issue, and in a data center it is always an issue.

But it won't unless heat output and power draw isn't an issue, and in a data center it is always an issue.

Iceland my friends, Iceland. Other cold climates areas are also drawing data center interest. Central Oregon has a Facebook data center in Prineville, climate was a factor; long, cold winters. Basically, just pump ambient air through the servers and leave the windows open.

Iceland my friends, Iceland. Other cold climates areas are also drawing data center interest. Central Oregon has a Facebook data center in Prineville, climate was a factor; long, cold winters. Basically, just pump ambient air through the servers and leave the windows open.

Most data centers filter their air ;)

On another note, power draw in terms of efficiency not heat is the problem in data centers. Using less power on all machines in house saves money and by making hardware more eco friendly, data centers can maximize gains and potentially add more machines at their previous allotted power limits.

Investing in "cold climate" data centers is a moot point. Using already existing data centers in regional metropolitan areas is more cost effective than building a data center in the Arctic Circle just because 1 of 2 enterprise CPU manufacturers have high power draws. If anything, that logic would encourage data centers to adopt Intel products over AMD products.

Back