• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm rather happy with my P-II X6, since I got the chip for $60 I couldn't really go wrong.

In the staggeringly subjective "feel of windows" test, I like the 8150 better than my 2600K, it's second only to my 980x in the all time Bobnova's Favorite 24/7 Chip Ranking.
980x is going to be hard to beat.

And I prefer my 955BE to y SB as well.

In the staggeringly subjective "feel of windows" test, I like the 8150 better than my 2600K, it's second only to my 980x in the all time Bobnova's Favorite 24/7 Chip Ranking.
980x is going to be hard to beat.

I've heard some people say that, or at least the last thing I read was someone moved from an i5 2500K to the FX-8150 and he said while games may have drop a tinsy bit (negligible) that the feel of W7 and its multitasking was better... I'd say that sounds like it all depends on the user and what he/she does.

I don't multitask at home the way I used to so I'm not sure it's worth upgrading from an X6 1100T, though I am still thinking about it. My 1100T runs like a champ at 4ghz with barely a voltage jump (haven't even tried more).

Now, if I popped in an 8-core at work, I'd shine... but I'm happy that I got my hands on an i5-2400 and 8GB of RAM at work (it pays to be in I.T. and have the goodies).

Been using it a couple days now as my 24/7 box (I was afraid it'd murder my install, it didn't), and it definitely seems to be better. Running boinc with rosetta and LHC@H plus a GPU bitcoin miner and Pandora (especially pandora, I hate the new pandora, bring back flash!) I ran into slowdowns with the 2600k that haven't popped up with the 8150.
Why? No clue.

Pft, still in IT here however they don't replace stuff here till it breaks.... Which is good because they keep giving people this god aweful HP Thin Clients to run virtuals instead. Completely ***** for support work.

I think if my poor old Core2Duo dies, I'll build myself a rig and avoid telling anyone. Can never go to a virtual, too restrictive. Doesn't pay to be IT in govt.

Been using it a couple days now as my 24/7 box (I was afraid it'd murder my install, it didn't), and it definitely seems to be better. Running boinc with rosetta and LHC@H plus a GPU bitcoin miner and Pandora (especially pandora, I hate the new pandora, bring back flash!) I ran into slowdowns with the 2600k that haven't popped up with the 8150.
Why? No clue.
But I don't multitask that much, so not sure if it's worth it for me... hmmm
Pft, still in IT here however they don't replace stuff here till it breaks.... Which is good because they keep giving people this god aweful HP Thin Clients to run virtuals instead. Completely ***** for support work.

I think if my poor old Core2Duo dies, I'll build myself a rig and avoid telling anyone. Can never go to a virtual, too restrictive. Doesn't pay to be IT in govt.

Our desktops and laptops are leased so we have to replace hundreds of machines every quarter. It's funny when users complain about "how come I have to change my computer" b/c little do they know they are getting a much more powerful computer.

I'm not going to be upgrading from my 1090T until AMD come up with something that beats the 2500K convincingly and costs around the same or less.

If that's not going to happen in sight of the next two years i will be moving to Intel in two or three, i can't afford to have both an Intel and AMD. while i like and respect AMD for what they have done in the past and continue to do now in terms of value they just don't seem capable of getting themselves on top again.

My Phenom for example is little more then a reworked K8, the K8 always was and still is good, but its old. Where is the innovation? the new technologies?

Come on AMD sort your selves out, please.

Bulldozer is a new innovation. Total rework of its core design. Also it is on a 32nm fab process new technology their for them atleast.

Bulldozer is a new innovation. Total rework of its core design. Also it is on a 32nm fab process new technology their for them atleast.

Ok point taken, but the performance difference between it and mine needs to be detected with a microscope (yes, slight exaggeration there)

It begs the question, what was the point of it?

I know its new, so who knows a bit more work and v2 might surprise us all and eat 2500K's alive. but it does not seem that will happen.

The point was a step in a certain direction. It had to be taken sometime and only time will tell if it was the right direction.

The point was a step in a certain direction. It had to be taken sometime and only time will tell if it was the right direction.

I think you make a good point here. Intel did this same thing back with P4s. The only difference was Intel sort of hid this transitional steps because they continued pushing the P4 while they first worked on dothan and then yohan as steps toward the conroe architecture. Doth and Yohan were solely in the mobile segment minus the few server based version and the ASUS adapter. Was dothan and yohan better than prescotts and ceder mill? Sure on a clock for clock bases but there were many other issues and refinements (some minor some major) before intel got to conroe. AMD didn't have this luxury of working on two architectures at the same time. AMD already is stretched in the resources and have bobcat to worry about along side bulldozer. I think the real indication of whether or not this was the right road will be piledriver. If its a "flop" then this architecture might not be the best. However if piledriver shows good improvements similar to conroe over yohan than it'll have been a good move.

That makes sense and i'm a little wiser about the whole thing now.

I hope it comes good for them :)

Best thing we have so far is "2012". No month or quarter mentioned to my knowledge.

I have an FX-8150 sitting in my room. I'm wondering if I should replace my 1100T or just flip the 8150 at cost... very eager to try it, but I don't want to disappoint myself.

I too was willing to wait for Piledriver since my 1100T honestly kicks butt...

The FX-8150 is a lot of fun to play with, especially if you go cold. It depends on what you do with it as to whether it will disappoint you. If your plan is to run standard HWBot-style benchmarks on ambient cooling and compare it to your 1100T, I'd sell the thing. If you want to see how it works with productivity and the like (video/audio editing and encoding, photo manipulation, compression...things like that) as well as freeze it just to see how far you can go...then you won't be disappointed. :)

Honestly, I don't care much for benchmarks anymore. I just always strive for a "snappier" computer... :D

Back