Intel CPUs
Forum Jump

Intel Sandy Bridge Extreme i7-3960X Processor Review

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 09:01 AM   #21
Devil_Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbaxter View Post
no need to find a gem if a 5.3ghz chip beats 6ghz gulftown.

anyone know if there is an SR3 mobo in the works?
That is true but I still would have to try to bin for better. That may cause a divorce.

Yes, there is an SR3 in the works but iirc it will be just like the SR2 and be limited to Xeon chips.
Devil_Dog is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 09:04 AM   #22
Brolloks
Benching Senior on Siesta
Premium Member #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post

I'm knee deep in the RIVE review right now but after that one I'll see what I can do. However don't I remember something about first-gen SB chips dying from disabling cores? I don't really want to take a chance on this chip.

I can do a really quick comparison with WPrime in the comments here. I'll just assign it four threads, then eight and see how they compare with each other. Would that help?

It was Gulftown that died when you disable all cores except one, I will include that in my review, that way we have something different in another review if you dont mind

Brolloks is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 09:08 AM   #23
ghost_recon88
Senior Jedi Master
Premium Member #9

Curious as to how much faster quad channel is over dual channel on the same CPU, or if its just a marketing gimmick? Any chance of running the 3960X with both dual and quad channel? Might be to ones advantage to run only in dual channel if the DIMMs they have can run higher MHz and tighter timings than the quad channel kit.

Old 11-14-11, 09:11 AM   #24
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolloks View Post
It was Gulftown that died when you disable all cores except one, I will include that in my review, that way we have something different in another review if you dont mind
Fine by me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_recon88 View Post
Curious as to how much faster quad channel is over dual channel on the same CPU, or if its just a marketing gimmick? Any chance of running the 3960X with both dual and quad channel? Might be to ones advantage to run only in dual channel if the DIMMs they have can run higher MHz and tighter timings than the quad channel kit.
Excellent point, and I plan on addressing it in the review of this G.Skill kit, which is in line after the motherboard.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 09:26 AM   #25
capttripppp

Making a sign right now..... "Will work for LGA2011"
Edit: or we can "occupy" Intel.... Anyone interested?

"I just picked up some Vaseline and a big syringe. I'm thinking using the syringe will make it easier to put the Vaseline in all the little hard to reach spots. I'm hoping to get to mess with it tonight, if so I'll post some videos" Convicted1
capttripppp is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 09:34 AM   #26
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Thanks hokie, great article and everything I was looking to read on this. Can't wait to see some benchmark scores crushed very soon.

I'm still on the fence about plunking down the cash here, but man this chip's performance look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
Dissapointing chipset. X79 is not a "flagship" Enthusiast chipset. It's just not. Looks pretty mainstream to me.
Maybe you aren't looking at the price on the boards - that looks pretty flagship enthusiast to me.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 09:43 AM   #27
dejo
Senior Moment Senior Member

10 Year Badge

anyone know how they respond to cold? As that will be a factor for some.

Asrock z77 ex6
2600k @4.8ghz
Samsung 2x4gb rams
OCZ Vertex4 256gb ssd
EVGA GTX480
Sparkle 1250 gold PSU
Arc Midi case
dejo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 09:46 AM   #28
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
Maybe you aren't looking at the price on the boards - that looks pretty flagship enthusiast to me.
Haha...what's more amusing is that I've heard the chipset is what's driving up the price of these boards. It's not much better than P67. I can't imagine precisely why it costs so much more to produce. If it had at least six SATA 6Gb/s ports along with USB 3.0 native support, maybe...but it doesn't. No idea what they were thinking with this one. The CPUs are insanely powerful, but the chipset? Not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
anyone know how they respond to cold? As that will be a factor for some.
I'm so disappointed you didn't hang on my every word.

From the review:

Quote:
It’s important to note that Intel has said repeatedly that their focus is on optimizing these CPUs for air and water cooling. Their “…more integrated PCIe architecture is optimized for more real world conditions vs. maximum frequency under extreme cooling.” They feel that’s where they should focus their efforts and indeed on a decent water loop these things perform wonderfully with low temperatures. Like Sandy Bridge, chances are going cold might allow you higher clocks but it will definitely allow the same clocks you get on ambient cooling to be more stable and run with less fear of killing your chip.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 09:51 AM   #29
dejo

10 Year Badge

the point was, Is it a fight to get it to boot if sub-zero as the Sb is?

Asrock z77 ex6
2600k @4.8ghz
Samsung 2x4gb rams
OCZ Vertex4 256gb ssd
EVGA GTX480
Sparkle 1250 gold PSU
Arc Midi case
Old 11-14-11, 09:56 AM   #30
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

When asked directly, Intel said we can expect the same behavior out of SNB-E as we did with SNB before it. I haven't had the chance to take it cold yet, but chances are we'll see the same issues.

Old 11-14-11, 09:57 AM   #31
dejo

10 Year Badge

I would have guessed the same, but you never know till you try it. We were told that SB wouldnt boot cold, but there are ways, just takes some trial and error.

Asrock z77 ex6
2600k @4.8ghz
Samsung 2x4gb rams
OCZ Vertex4 256gb ssd
EVGA GTX480
Sparkle 1250 gold PSU
Arc Midi case
Old 11-14-11, 09:57 AM   #32
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

I haven't tested it, but I expect it will act the same way Dejo. Like you though, I'd like confirmation from those actually doing it.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 09:59 AM   #33
Janus67
Benching Team Leader
Grabbed Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
I would have guessed the same, but you never know till you try it. We were told that SB wouldnt boot cold, but there are ways, just takes some trial and error.
SB will boot cold, but it surely as a CB/CBB unlike AMD chips. I didn't run into any issues when I did mine on my MIVE with DICE.

Folding User Stats Folding User Stats
Janus67 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 10:01 AM   #34
ghost_recon88
Senior Jedi Master
Premium Member #9

Native USB 3.0 would have been icing on the cake, guess we'll have to wait until IB to get those.

Old 11-14-11, 10:37 AM   #35
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

I'm thinking there will be a surplus of SB chips and mobos hitting the "used" market soon. Good thing for those of us that have not made the move to SB just yet.

I'm sure that's CPUz just bugging out, but did anyone else notice this?
Name:  memory.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  252.6 KB

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Seebs is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 10:41 AM   #36
bmwbaxter
Premium Member #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx View Post
I'm thinking there will be a surplus of SB chips and mobos hitting the "used" market soon. Good thing for those of us that have not made the move to SB just yet.

I'm sure that's CPUz just bugging out, but did anyone else notice this?
Attachment 101414
he mentioned in the review that CPUz wasn't reading it correctly.

Old 11-14-11, 10:41 AM   #37
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

What, you don't believe I hit DDR3-10500?!?

Old 11-14-11, 10:41 AM   #38
ghost_recon88
Senior Jedi Master
Premium Member #9

I like how bclk is finally above 107 again

Old 11-14-11, 10:43 AM   #39
Theocnoob
Hates Trashcans
LOVES GRAMMER

SO FAST! I saw the benchies. OH MY GAWRSH... This is a QUANTUM LEAP for cryin out loud. Look at those numbers. Crushes a 2600K by double in most cases.
Theocnoob is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 10:51 AM   #40
bmwbaxter
Premium Member #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_recon88 View Post
I like how bclk is finally above 107 again
i didn't think bclk went above 100mhz all FSB strap did was add a multi so it was like 125mhz, 150mhz, 200mhz and 250mhz. but blck stayed at 100mhz. thats how I understood it working. Clarification?

EDIT: my 2600k and M4E can do 108.3 thats over 107

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs