• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3-2133 Quad Channel Memory Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

gskill-x79-2133-16g-12-300x241.jpg

G.Skill was kind enough to send this kit for evaluation prior to the Sandy Bridge-E release so it could be used in the launch review. We saw how it performed at DDR3-1866 / 9-11-9-28 on Intel's Siler board and at its rated speed & timings on the Rampage IV Extreme. Now we'll have a look at the kit itself and run a few comparisons while we're at it.

... Return to article to continue reading.

When is it advantageous to go with RAM with speeds these high? I'm working on an audio workstation build and I'm having a lot of trouble determining which RAM to go with for it. If someone could help me with giving some thoughts, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

unless you are benching then go for 1600 RAM. it is the sweet spot for price to performance.

Well, it's always advantageous...but the real question is HOW advantageous. Based on my testing, not too much. If you want the fastest reasonable kit, these are great. If you don't mind losing a few seconds here and there when compressing / encoding your audio files, you can go with 1600 / 9-9-9-24 and be happy. The thing not to do is go with crazy high latency kits like 1600 / 10-11-10-28 or 2133 / 11-13-11-30 (numbers puled out of thin air). As long as you go with 1600 or 2133 CL9 or better, you'll be fine.

Well, it's always advantageous...but the real question is HOW advantageous. Based on my testing, not too much. If you want the fastest reasonable kit, these are great. If you don't mind losing a few seconds here and there when compressing / encoding your audio files, you can go with 1600 / 9-9-9-24 and be happy. The thing not to do is go with crazy high latency kits like 1600 / 10-11-10-28 or 2133 / 11-13-11-30 (numbers puled out of thin air). As long as you go with 1600 or 2133 CL9 or better, you'll be fine.

Okay, as the 2133 kits are almost double the price, then I will probably be inclined to go in the direction of the 1600 kits I guess. Also, is there any advantage of going with a kit with 8 sticks packaged together making up the 2 quad channel kits, or would getting 2 of the same quad channel kits be the same thing?

Yes and no. Eight-stick kits are tested to work together..."matched", if you will. It's always best to get matched sets when you can. There is less risk of incompatibility. The risk is low mostly with like speed and timings, but when trying to run so much memory I'd err on the side of caution.

Yes and no. Eight-stick kits are tested to work together..."matched", if you will. It's always best to get matched sets when you can. There is less risk of incompatibility. The risk is low mostly with like speed and timings, but when trying to run so much memory I'd err on the side of caution.

Okay, thank you. I guess that will probably be what I will go with then. The person who runs Hardware Revolution recommended this kit to me, and I assume the members of this community may be inclined to do so as well?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231498

Wow that's (relatively) cheap. Double the capacity of this kit for the same price at 1600 / 9-9-9-24 is mighty impressive, and at only 1.5V too. I say go for it!

I also wanted to point out this kit will almost certainly get to 2400 no problem (though I'm not sure at which latencies; probably 10-12-10-28); my IMC is just horrid on this chip compared to apparently a lot of SNB-E chips out there.

I have already bought this kit for a build i am doing very soon, will this work with an i5 3570k in a gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 at 2133? It is on the qvl, but i dont want to have screwed myself if it only runs at 1600. I can also go SB-E since i havent gotten the cpu/mobo yet, would it be worth the extra $100+ for an i7 3830?

Absolutely, this is a very strong kit. Ivy Bridge has a stronger IMC than SNB-E, you'll probably be able to clock it better than I could.

The 3820 has HT, so it'll be better at multi-threaded loads, but that's about it. The 3570K will have a better IMC. A Z77 board should also be cheaper than X79.

Last edited:
Yah, I've been happy with mine for a about 7 months now..... Works well with AMD kit too. I got the ones with red heat spreaders instead of black ;)

Back