Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > AMD (ATI) GPUs
AMD (ATI) GPUs
Forum Jump

AMD Radeon HD 7970 Graphics Card Review

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread
 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-23-11, 10:31 PM   #61
pwnmachine
Member

 
pwnmachine's Avatar 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbaxter View Post

Mafia II the physics (glass breaking, car blowing up, clothes blowing, pretty much everything) in that game with PhysX enabled was IMO so much more realistic than with just the cpu handling physics. I have 2 GTX 580's and only run 1 1920x1080 monitor so fps was not an issue with PhysX enabled so I tried it with PhysX enabled and with just cpu. GPU's blow away any cpu in these type of situations.
I agree 100%, PhysX when used to its full potential is quite amazing. The only reason it is not used to it full capacity is simply the fact that there is no install base. Therefore developers see no benefit of adding the extra effort to implement it in any meaningful way.

Look at Cryostasis; imo one of the best survival horror games released this generation. Amazing tech flawless physx implementation however its sales were poor. That is all that really matters to developers.

__________________
i5 2500k @ 4.8 gHz. 1.3v..................Q9650 @ 4.0 gHz.
Kingston Hyper 1600mHz 4gb..........XMS3 1600mHz 4gb
Asus P8P67 Pro B3...........................790i Ultra FTW
XFX 5970 BE + XFX 5850..................GTX 260 2xSLI
CM Hyper 212/Thermalright HR-03...Scythe Mugen II
CM Cosmos S Modified......................NZXT H2
Custom Maple Gaming Case
pwnmachine is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-23-11, 10:41 PM   #62
Ivy
Member

 
Ivy's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2011

 
Why do you think that i say that we finally should get ride of proprietary stuff and try to set a certain "shared standart". Btw: Agreement isnt issue, respect is.

__________________
Most important values: Quality>Price/Performance>Noise Level>GFLOPS/cm3>GFLOPS/W

Screen/Audio: Panasonic Plasma @1080P + Onkyo NR609. Computer Series Gen Alpha: Every PC may act as a backup for another one.
Gamer PC: Shuttle SZ77R5 (SFF) modded/I5 3570K @4 Ghz/7870 DCII @1150/1400/Gskill 2x8 GB @1600,1.5V,9,9,9,24, 2T/120 + 240 GB OCZ Vertex 3 MI V. 2.22/750 GB WD 7500BPKT/LiteOn SH-D163B
Workstation: Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC/I7 990X (stock)/6950 FLEX 2GB (stock)/Mushkin 3x4 GB @1600,1.5V, 9,9,9,24, 1T/128 GB Crucial M4 V. 0309/4 TB Hitachi, 2 TB WD RE4/Seasonic X-850/Lian Li PC-C60/NH-C12P SE14/LiteOn IHBS112
HTPC: Asrock Extreme 4-M/I7 3930K (stock)/650Ti AMP! 2GB (stock)/Gskill 4x4 GB @1600,1.5V, 9,9,9,24, 1T/128 GB Samsung 840 PRO/4 TB Hitachi, 2 TB WD Green/Corsair 1200i/Lian Li PC-V354/Phanteks TH-TC14CS/Pioneer BDR-207EBK
Ivy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-24-11, 10:49 AM   #63
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

 
I.M.O.G.'s Avatar 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Rootstown, OH

10 Year Badge
 
hardwareheaven (not hardwaresecrets) said they ran Batman with physics on because everyone with a nvidia card would run the game with physics on, so it was more of a real life result.

I disagree with their approach and presentation, however they did make it clear how the test was run and that is important.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-24-11, 04:56 PM   #64
Shelnutt2
Overclockers Team Content Editor

 
Shelnutt2's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: /home/

 
Hoki, I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for thinking about fah again!! I know you didn't have time to run it in the short lead but you thought about it, and I really think if we become known for always throwing in some fah benches on hardware we might just get a few extra page views. So here is to looking forward to the results (and hoping AMD is catching up to nvidia in fah!)

__________________
Build!.Borg!.Recruit!.Folding.for.Team.32!
Gigabyte P35-DS3R, E6300, 2x512MB Team Group DDR2 667, EVGA 7800GT Heat

Want to run the folding@home gpu client in linux?
www.linuxfah.info

Your teacher is a dumbass. The equation is exact. ~Frodo Baggins
Damn....It's 12:00 AM and I thought my 805 would be a magic pumkin and turn into a conroe.........boy was I fooled:) ~Stilletto
This is what I get for not only being a newb, but also disregarding instructions! ~ShadowPho
I hate women... but im not gay lol. ~MrCrowley
Love can fade but knowledge stays forever (unless you develop alzheimers). ~Constantinos
Shelnutt2 is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-24-11, 05:38 PM   #65
Bobnova
Innocent Senior Member



 
Bobnova's Avatar 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Humboldt

 
The thing is, turning physx off doesn't show you the max the CPU can do, it shows you the max Nvidia allowed the game designer to run on the CPU.
A modern top end CPU can run a far better physics model than they get credit for, because nvidia seems to demand that all the "physx" type eye candy be disabled if physx is turned off, even the stuff that could run happily on the CPU.

__________________
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Einstein (maybe)


How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

Heatware.
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-25-11, 12:17 PM   #66
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

 
hokiealumnus's Avatar 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt2 View Post
Hoki, I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for thinking about fah again!! I know you didn't have time to run it in the short lead but you thought about it, and I really think if we become known for always throwing in some fah benches on hardware we might just get a few extra page views. So here is to looking forward to the results (and hoping AMD is catching up to nvidia in fah!)
Just sorry I couldn't run it in time. I haven't run a gpu client for years since an 8800GTX. If there are any tips or tricks, definitely pm them. I'll try to get some numbers in the coming week for you.
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-25-11, 12:29 PM   #67
MIAHALLEN
Senior Member

 
MIAHALLEN's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PNW

 
I know, I know....I'm slow

Good read Jeremy, nice work taking down my scores....those were leading the team for far too long

MIAHALLEN is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
hokiealumnus (12-27-11)
Old 12-26-11, 08:55 PM   #68
Ivy
Member

 
Ivy's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2011

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
The thing is, turning physx off doesn't show you the max the CPU can do, it shows you the max Nvidia allowed the game designer to run on the CPU.
A modern top end CPU can run a far better physics model than they get credit for, because nvidia seems to demand that all the "physx" type eye candy be disabled if physx is turned off, even the stuff that could run happily on the CPU.
Thank you!
I mean, a CPU could do more than that but Nvidia kinda will disable it on purpose. They are telling us that actually as good as any PhysX is impossible on CPU, and we could get a 1 million core supercomputer and they will still say the same. People should stay tuned for future CPUs, the Ivy bridge with new transistors and what else... CPUs arnt sleeping. Its however true that on a few games the physX still may own, but its truly just a hand full and for the majority barely worth it, especially when they have no interest in such games (i am RPG gamer so i got little interest into Shooter). Aswell i am not sure how effective the PhysX programming truly is executed, but one thing im sure about: CPU can do more than what they currently do, thats why CPU have almost no impact on games anymore. Only theyr clocks truly matters, architecture is almost wasted, means that most parts of CPU isnt used. Im sure that Intel will build some true monster CPUs while AMD will build a monster Radeon i guess... it kinda looks like. Strong CPUs are currently underused for most games... a overkill to even own them. Any other program will get more gain than a game.

Im not truly a fan of whatelse but at the current condition i rather support AMDs view, because CPU/GPU was always a team in the past and Nvidia slowly is trying to break a highly efficient and powerful team in order to make theyr GPU look superior. But no matter what, they have to work together for a shared standart which can easely be implemented by the devs and which does use CPUs more effective, its not a useless part.

Performance wise in scientific manner, a current SB flagships can handle about 120 GFLOP in double precision, a 7970 will handle around 950 GFLOP in double precision (the current stongest single). However, GPUs used for PhysX arnt usualy high end, and if we try to run it on a single GPU, then the GPU will break down by ~15-30%**, because thats the load the CPU is able to take away. (**Much higher than 15% when GPU is weaker than current Radeon flagship). I get the feeling that it will increase in near future, because its Intel. As long as physics can be run on roughly 100 GFLOPs then it may run without GPU, hard logics and the GPU got more power for rendering. But even more powerful is to share the physics so the CPU is fully utilized and the rest can still be taken over by the GPU, there simply will be a slider which we can adjust how much physics load we want to hand over to CPU, 1 to 100% (in term the CPU is overused it will simply destroy performance, kinda same such as on a overused GPU). Ofc the CPU still got the advantage to be the "jack of all trades" while a GPU is always very hard to adapt to something else, so main focus have to be on how to get the 2 GPUs (Radeon/Geforce) to a shared standart on such terms. Master software is still not on this planet, its somewhere on a unknown planet.

Why a CPU isnt stronger than that? Huge amount of transistors are used for cache (billions!). But we soon come to a point where we dont need so many of it anymore and can instead increase raw computing performance with. But well, a 8 core Ivy Bridge having 3D transistors, i wonder its computing performance. Prehaps 150-200 GFLOP. Some might get dual CPU board, 300-400 GFLOP? Especially for such people a engine which can hand over dutys to CPU is critical. Who knows, but its not weak and its much more adaptive to whatelse. But they will take theyr time and slowly walk up the ladder, and why? Because they can, no competition.

Because its going to much into OT (not truly topic related because to much CPU/gaming talk) i will continue the specific terms on: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...94#post7056694

__________________
Most important values: Quality>Price/Performance>Noise Level>GFLOPS/cm3>GFLOPS/W

Screen/Audio: Panasonic Plasma @1080P + Onkyo NR609. Computer Series Gen Alpha: Every PC may act as a backup for another one.
Gamer PC: Shuttle SZ77R5 (SFF) modded/I5 3570K @4 Ghz/7870 DCII @1150/1400/Gskill 2x8 GB @1600,1.5V,9,9,9,24, 2T/120 + 240 GB OCZ Vertex 3 MI V. 2.22/750 GB WD 7500BPKT/LiteOn SH-D163B
Workstation: Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC/I7 990X (stock)/6950 FLEX 2GB (stock)/Mushkin 3x4 GB @1600,1.5V, 9,9,9,24, 1T/128 GB Crucial M4 V. 0309/4 TB Hitachi, 2 TB WD RE4/Seasonic X-850/Lian Li PC-C60/NH-C12P SE14/LiteOn IHBS112
HTPC: Asrock Extreme 4-M/I7 3930K (stock)/650Ti AMP! 2GB (stock)/Gskill 4x4 GB @1600,1.5V, 9,9,9,24, 1T/128 GB Samsung 840 PRO/4 TB Hitachi, 2 TB WD Green/Corsair 1200i/Lian Li PC-V354/Phanteks TH-TC14CS/Pioneer BDR-207EBK

Last edited by Ivy; 12-28-11 at 10:19 AM.
Ivy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-29-11, 07:42 AM   #69
mikeyw
Member



Join Date: Dec 2010

 

__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz @ 1.380 V| AsRock Extreme4 Gen3 | 8GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1T
EVGA GTX 570 @ 840MHz/2000MHz | 120GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Spinpoint F3

Last edited by mikeyw; 12-29-11 at 07:48 AM.
mikeyw is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-29-11, 08:03 AM   #70
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

 
hokiealumnus's Avatar 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

 
Awesome. Look at those memory clocks too. Over the next-highest result, that is a 400 MHz core clock improvement over a GTX580 (1180 vs. the next-hightest 580 at 1560). These things are DX11 beasts!

__________________

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-29-11, 03:02 PM   #71
Ivy
Member

 
Ivy's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2011

 
To sad phils processor didnt clock higher, else it would be completly devastating on DX11. 1610 memory clock, ok not world record but extremely high and the 7970 with its new 384 bit bus can make big use of it. I mean that thing is on stock cooling, the processor/memory can still go up!

Short time after release, only a few 7970 ever tested yet, and the superclocked 7970 beats it by a large margin, im impressed. Also, the Radeon seems to work on quad fire it seems? The highest is currently 6970 on quad. However, that will be beaten soon.

Although the Unigine Heaven is a pretty demanding engine which makes high use of the tesselation. But i still didnt expect to have the 580 GTX beating that soon at those superclocked ones. We still only had a bundle of 7970 tested ever.

Quote:
No more competition with HD 7970... the GTX 580 era finished...

__________________
Most important values: Quality>Price/Performance>Noise Level>GFLOPS/cm3>GFLOPS/W

Screen/Audio: Panasonic Plasma @1080P + Onkyo NR609. Computer Series Gen Alpha: Every PC may act as a backup for another one.
Gamer PC: Shuttle SZ77R5 (SFF) modded/I5 3570K @4 Ghz/7870 DCII @1150/1400/Gskill 2x8 GB @1600,1.5V,9,9,9,24, 2T/120 + 240 GB OCZ Vertex 3 MI V. 2.22/750 GB WD 7500BPKT/LiteOn SH-D163B
Workstation: Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC/I7 990X (stock)/6950 FLEX 2GB (stock)/Mushkin 3x4 GB @1600,1.5V, 9,9,9,24, 1T/128 GB Crucial M4 V. 0309/4 TB Hitachi, 2 TB WD RE4/Seasonic X-850/Lian Li PC-C60/NH-C12P SE14/LiteOn IHBS112
HTPC: Asrock Extreme 4-M/I7 3930K (stock)/650Ti AMP! 2GB (stock)/Gskill 4x4 GB @1600,1.5V, 9,9,9,24, 1T/128 GB Samsung 840 PRO/4 TB Hitachi, 2 TB WD Green/Corsair 1200i/Lian Li PC-V354/Phanteks TH-TC14CS/Pioneer BDR-207EBK

Last edited by Ivy; 12-29-11 at 03:30 PM.
Ivy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-30-11, 10:11 AM   #72
LawL_Vengeance
New Member



Join Date: Dec 2011

 
Über Sad Face


I would love to own a card like this, money isnt the issue, i can save up for it np. However, i would need to remake my entire computer to handle the dang thing. Stats: Phenom II 1055T 2.8GHz X6
ASRock N68 VS3 UCC MOBO
AMD HD 6670 1GB Graphics Card
2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
450W Power Supply
Nvidia Geforce 7025/630a Chipset

Yea, im good on RAM, maybe i need some with better MHz? Need a better case. and power supply. PS!!! Hint: its alot harder to switch out parts in a gaming comp as to just building your own from case up.
LawL_Vengeance is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-30-11, 10:15 AM   #73
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

 
hokiealumnus's Avatar 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

 
If you're serious that money isn't an issue, you might want to just sell the whole prebuilt unit as a whole and do just that, building from the case up.

__________________

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-30-11, 11:05 AM   #74
Janus67
Benching Team Leader
Wannabe Admin Senior

 
Janus67's Avatar 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ohio State

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
To sad phils processor didnt clock higher, else it would be completly devastating on DX11. 1610 memory clock, ok not world record but extremely high and the 7970 with its new 384 bit bus can make big use of it. I mean that thing is on stock cooling, the processor/memory can still go up!

Short time after release, only a few 7970 ever tested yet, and the superclocked 7970 beats it by a large margin, im impressed. Also, the Radeon seems to work on quad fire it seems? The highest is currently 6970 on quad. However, that will be beaten soon.

Although the Unigine Heaven is a pretty demanding engine which makes high use of the tesselation. But i still didnt expect to have the 580 GTX beating that soon at those superclocked ones. We still only had a bundle of 7970 tested ever.

Quote:
No more competition with HD 7970... the GTX 580 era finished...
To be fair, when people with ATI cards run Heaven they disable Tesselation in their drivers to get a much higher score.

__________________
Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440


Folding User Stats
Janus67 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-30-11, 11:13 AM   #75
EarthDog
Super Mutterator
Overclockers.com Editor


 
EarthDog's Avatar 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stuck in Maryland...

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus67 View Post
To be fair, when people with ATI cards run Heaven they disable Tesselation in their drivers to get a much higher score.


Absolutely. Thats a HUGE difference since you can adjust the level of tessellation in the benchmark.

__________________

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-30-11, 01:07 PM   #76
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

 
hokiealumnus's Avatar 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post


Absolutely. Thats a HUGE difference since you can adjust the level of tessellation in the benchmark.
Another big +1. I just got a new personal best 3DMark 11 using that method plus some extra MHz on the GPU (still air cooled with stock cooler).



(HWBot link.)

__________________

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-30-11, 10:31 PM   #77
Ivy
Member

 
Ivy's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2011

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus67 View Post
To be fair, when people with ATI cards run Heaven they disable Tesselation in their drivers to get a much higher score.
I dunno what is it you wanted to tell me?

After all they got a few pride left, really really + really!

The 7000 series indeed handles a hard punch on tesselation, they are strong at that. The 6000 series however surely will go down to the kneel at some point. The Radeon 7000 isnt tuned for pointless performance ratings, because its using a architecture which does handle demanding setting much better, leaving the most powerful parts unused when that stuff isnt running. Sure, rating still goes up but not barely as much such as on Geforce card, so its not actually a advantage. On some of those performance ratings they may get several thousand FPS in some cases and then they gonna tell me that theyr CPU is limiting, i mean, yes, thats indeed sad.

Whatever.

__________________
Most important values: Quality>Price/Performance>Noise Level>GFLOPS/cm3>GFLOPS/W

Screen/Audio: Panasonic Plasma @1080P + Onkyo NR609. Computer Series Gen Alpha: Every PC may act as a backup for another one.
Gamer PC: Shuttle SZ77R5 (SFF) modded/I5 3570K @4 Ghz/7870 DCII @1150/1400/Gskill 2x8 GB @1600,1.5V,9,9,9,24, 2T/120 + 240 GB OCZ Vertex 3 MI V. 2.22/750 GB WD 7500BPKT/LiteOn SH-D163B
Workstation: Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC/I7 990X (stock)/6950 FLEX 2GB (stock)/Mushkin 3x4 GB @1600,1.5V, 9,9,9,24, 1T/128 GB Crucial M4 V. 0309/4 TB Hitachi, 2 TB WD RE4/Seasonic X-850/Lian Li PC-C60/NH-C12P SE14/LiteOn IHBS112
HTPC: Asrock Extreme 4-M/I7 3930K (stock)/650Ti AMP! 2GB (stock)/Gskill 4x4 GB @1600,1.5V, 9,9,9,24, 1T/128 GB Samsung 840 PRO/4 TB Hitachi, 2 TB WD Green/Corsair 1200i/Lian Li PC-V354/Phanteks TH-TC14CS/Pioneer BDR-207EBK

Last edited by Ivy; 12-30-11 at 11:20 PM.
Ivy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-31-11, 09:51 AM   #78
Janus67
Benching Team Leader
Wannabe Admin Senior

 
Janus67's Avatar 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ohio State

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
I dunno what is it you wanted to tell me?

After all they got a few pride left, really really + really!

The 7000 series indeed handles a hard punch on tesselation, they are strong at that. The 6000 series however surely will go down to the kneel at some point. The Radeon 7000 isnt tuned for pointless performance ratings, because its using a architecture which does handle demanding setting much better, leaving the most powerful parts unused when that stuff isnt running. Sure, rating still goes up but not barely as much such as on Geforce card, so its not actually a advantage. On some of those performance ratings they may get several thousand FPS in some cases and then they gonna tell me that theyr CPU is limiting, i mean, yes, thats indeed sad.

Whatever.
You mentioned that the card did well with the Tesselation of Heaven. What I'm telling you is that when people benchmark Heaven with an ATI card they turn off Tesselation in their drivers (nVidia doesn't have this 'feature') thus giving a much higher score on ATI cards since it doesn't have to render the Tesselation of the benchmark, but nVidia does.

__________________
Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440


Folding User Stats
Janus67 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-31-11, 10:32 AM   #79
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

 
hokiealumnus's Avatar 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

 
To be clear, Janus is talking about competetive benchmarking. When I run Heaven in a review, CCC is set at its default settings, with no artificial Tesselation manipulation.
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-01-12, 12:51 AM   #80
Ivy
Member

 
Ivy's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2011

 
I know what he mean, i did understand it from the beginning but its cheating, thats how i call it. I said that im unable to understand because i didnt actually expect such benchers using dirty tricks and i simply leave it by that. But finally the correct stuff is to leave it at default, means it should use it at the level such as Nvidia does. Its not a bad option to be able to make such finetuning (immense gain for real situation, when you want to get the most out of it) but sadly it does allow for unfair behaviours.

However, with or without tesselation, the 7000 series will clearly beat the 580 GTX in long term, because neither the games nor the drivers are fully optimized yet, the hardware is simply to much of a child at the current date. It already is beating by 20% (overall) at real situations, but the distance will be even higher and surely no "cheating" needed, there is no need for it, its tesselation is superior to the 580 GTX. Even allowing so much finetuning is a clear sign of its superiority. AMD/ATI was always the forerunner of tesselation. Just with the Fermi architecture Nvidia truly was pumping massive effort into it and did even stomp down the 6000 series on raw performance. However, the 7000 series will get the throne back and continuing where AMD/ATI started on its very tesselation capable consumer cards.

__________________
Most important values: Quality>Price/Performance>Noise Level>GFLOPS/cm3>GFLOPS/W

Screen/Audio: Panasonic Plasma @1080P + Onkyo NR609. Computer Series Gen Alpha: Every PC may act as a backup for another one.
Gamer PC: Shuttle SZ77R5 (SFF) modded/I5 3570K @4 Ghz/7870 DCII @1150/1400/Gskill 2x8 GB @1600,1.5V,9,9,9,24, 2T/120 + 240 GB OCZ Vertex 3 MI V. 2.22/750 GB WD 7500BPKT/LiteOn SH-D163B
Workstation: Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC/I7 990X (stock)/6950 FLEX 2GB (stock)/Mushkin 3x4 GB @1600,1.5V, 9,9,9,24, 1T/128 GB Crucial M4 V. 0309/4 TB Hitachi, 2 TB WD RE4/Seasonic X-850/Lian Li PC-C60/NH-C12P SE14/LiteOn IHBS112
HTPC: Asrock Extreme 4-M/I7 3930K (stock)/650Ti AMP! 2GB (stock)/Gskill 4x4 GB @1600,1.5V, 9,9,9,24, 1T/128 GB Samsung 840 PRO/4 TB Hitachi, 2 TB WD Green/Corsair 1200i/Lian Li PC-V354/Phanteks TH-TC14CS/Pioneer BDR-207EBK

Last edited by Ivy; 01-01-12 at 02:14 AM.
Ivy is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > AMD (ATI) GPUs
AMD (ATI) GPUs
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Mobile Skin
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
You can add these icons by updating your profile information to include your Heatware ID, Benching Profile ID or your Folding/SETI profile ID. Edit your profile!
X

Welcome to Overclockers.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this the best community on the Internet since 1998!


(4 digit year)

Why Join Us?

  • Share experience
  • Max out your hardware
  • Best forum members anywhere
  • Customized forum experience

Already a member?