Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Lamptron's Official Statement Regarding Unauthorized Reproductions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-15-12, 09:43 AM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

Lamptron's Official Statement Regarding Unauthorized Reproductions

Quote:
Lamptron has a bit of an intellectual property dispute on its hands. We’ll tell you what’s going on and share Lamptron’s official statement on the matter.
... Return to article to continue reading.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-15-12, 09:56 AM   #2
Bobnova

Sounds like the Lamptron flavor of the Foxconn issues that have plagued everybody.
Also known as "Welcome to using dirt cheap unethical Chinese labor to build your products".

While I do not like, condone, or support theft of IP, I have to think that maybe, just maybe, the guy should have been paid as promised. From my brief survey this morning it looks like this is a fairly clear cut case of "what goes around comes around", and/or the Golden Rule.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
Mario1 (01-15-12)
Old 01-15-12, 09:56 AM   #3
Mario1
Grammer, its my favoriate thing

"We cannot be responsible for any present risk to the consumer and the hazards these products pose as cannot be overestimated, as these products are not tested and approved by Lamptron certified technicians."
The "G-Vans" fan controllers are really dangerous, I almost got poisoned by one.
If I only knew that it wasn't inspected by a Lamptron certified technician before buying it...

CPU Cooler; Box AM2 cooler
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance & 1x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 804mhz 9-9-9-24 1T CR
Graphics card: HD3650 1GB DDR2 (400/400, runs at x4 for some weird reason)
HDD: WesternDigital Caviar Black 1TB, SATA III, 64MB Cache
PSU:Corsair CX430
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430 (3x 120mm Thermaltake intake fans; 1 front, 1 side, 1 bot. 3x 120mm Thermaltake exhaust fans; 2 top, 1 back)

Last edited by Mario1; 01-15-12 at 12:13 PM.
Mario1 is offline Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-15-12, 01:28 PM   #4
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

Putting aside whatever issues between Lamptron and whoever started G-Vans may exist... I don't think this is the type of product that I'd want in my computer case.

Name:  Gvans_5810.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  135.1 KB

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Seebs is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-15-12, 02:02 PM   #5
Bobnova

lol, that's a bit sad for a copied design.

Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-15-12, 02:13 PM   #6
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
lol, that's a bit sad for a copied design.
QFT. And that GVANS guy says that was Lamptron real stuck from factory?

Don't think so.

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras
txus.palacios is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-15-12, 02:34 PM   #7
Mario1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx View Post
Putting aside whatever issues between Lamptron and whoever started G-Vans may exist... I don't think this is the type of product that I'd want in my computer case.

Attachment 103936
Why not?
I don't see anything wrong in that picture. It ain't like they're running a stripped wire through the components that shorts the sht out of everyting.

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430 (3x 120mm Thermaltake intake fans; 1 front, 1 side, 1 bot. 3x 120mm Thermaltake exhaust fans; 2 top, 1 back)
Old 01-15-12, 07:06 PM   #8
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1 View Post
Why not?
I don't see anything wrong in that picture. It ain't like they're running a stripped wire through the components that shorts the sht out of everyting.
Simple... If I'm spending $50+ on a controller; I expect the manufacturer to have done some quality control on their end. That wire tells me that there was a trace missing on the design and that rather than correcting the PCB they went with the cheap alternative. And then there is the fact that the middle cap is already starting to bulge. No thanks.

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Seebs is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-15-12, 11:50 PM   #9
ehume

But does an official Lamptron unit have that wire? From what I've been able to see of Lamptron products outside controllers, I wouldn't be surprised to see such a wire in a Lamptron controller. Anyone have one from, say, a year ago to compare?

Good Cases for Air Cooling

Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + HD 4600 w/1GB system RAM | GA-Z87X-UD4H f7
Armageddon w/two NF-A15's | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix @1600MHz
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup
CM N600 + 2 NF-P12+ULNF front, TY-140 top intake, NF-S12A mid-case, PWM frankenfan side intake
ehume is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-16-12, 12:12 AM   #10
Bobnova

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/L...es/fc5rear.jpg

Actually looks like a significantly different design.

V2 version: http://skinflint.co.uk/?morepix=607980

Assuming that thing is a FC5 clone, it looks like one.

I wonder it Gvan grinds the ID label off the mosfets like Lamptron does.

Old 01-17-12, 12:41 PM   #11
macklin01
Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Moderator on Vacation, Ph.D.

10 Year Badge

Quote:
The "G-Vans" fan controllers are really dangerous, I almost got poisoned by one.
Care to elaborate on that?

Need image I/O for your science apps? Try EasyBMP

My biomedical research: Mathematical Cancer Modeling & Simulation

I'm on vacation as a moderator as I devote more time to my faculty position.
Thank you for your understanding if I don't respond to your PM. -- Paul
macklin01 is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-17-12, 01:07 PM   #12
Mario1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx View Post
Simple... If I'm spending $50+ on a controller; I expect the manufacturer to have done some quality control on their end. That wire tells me that there was a trace missing on the design and that rather than correcting the PCB they went with the cheap alternative. And then there is the fact that the middle cap is already starting to bulge. No thanks.
Maybe the problem was corrected in a newer PCB rev.
If I was a manufacturer who built 50,000 PCBs that miss a trace I'd figure out a way to make those boards work too. Don't see how a wire bridge could hurt anyone.
I believe the angle the picture is taken makes the mid cap look like its "starting to bulge".
Quote:
Originally Posted by macklin01 View Post
Care to elaborate on that?
I was being sarcastic, I guess I fail at it.

Old 01-17-12, 01:28 PM   #13
macklin01
Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Moderator on Vacation, Ph.D.

10 Year Badge

Quote:
I was being sarcastic, I guess I fail at it.
Ah, thanks. I was trying to see if you had more insight on the "dangerous products" claim by Lamptron, since it seems a bit melodramatic to me. (Lousy products that may not perform as expected? Sure, I buy that. Products that can physically harm people? Color me skeptical.)

Need image I/O for your science apps? Try EasyBMP

My biomedical research: Mathematical Cancer Modeling & Simulation

I'm on vacation as a moderator as I devote more time to my faculty position.
Thank you for your understanding if I don't respond to your PM. -- Paul
macklin01 is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-17-12, 01:45 PM   #14
Bobnova

Probably refering to a lack of RoHS certification, either due to not paying the fees/bribes or due to using leaded solder.
That is 100% guesswork on my part.

Alternatively they may be saying it just as PR.
Or they may be concerned that the new guy isn't using the same MOSFETs and/or control setup as the Lamptron unit, which may cause Exploded MOSFET Syndrome.

I'd like to take this moment to call Lamptron out on their highly sketchy move of grinding the part ID numbers off the MOSFETs on their controllers. That's every bit as professional as a hand soldered wire on the PCB

Thanks!
macklin01 (01-17-12)
Old 01-19-12, 12:59 AM   #15
Spawne32

Quote:
Ah, thanks. I was trying to see if you had more insight on the "dangerous products" claim by Lamptron, since it seems a bit melodramatic to me. (Lousy products that may not perform as expected? Sure, I buy that. Products that can physically harm people? Color me skeptical.)
Id be happy to address these concerns and your right to be skeptical over the whole thing, as the intention of this rival company was solely to introduce skepticism into this situation. The units that you see replacing ours in retail stores are being made from inferior products at a much cheaper price, this is how they are able to undermine our retail sales. They copy the same power specifications that we list on our product descriptions, as you may have seen...word for word, many of those descriptions I wrote myself personally to translate them into english, however the inferior components are not cable of handling these power spec's and thus cause the unit to fail in a normally catastrophic manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
Probably refering to a lack of RoHS certification, either due to not paying the fees/bribes or due to using leaded solder.
That is 100% guesswork on my part.

Alternatively they may be saying it just as PR.
Or they may be concerned that the new guy isn't using the same MOSFETs and/or control setup as the Lamptron unit, which may cause Exploded MOSFET Syndrome.

I'd like to take this moment to call Lamptron out on their highly sketchy move of grinding the part ID numbers off the MOSFETs on their controllers. That's every bit as professional as a hand soldered wire on the PCB

Although I was not able to include it in the statement, most of our newer products are indeed RoHS compliant, and we have an extensive engineering and quality control process to ensure that these units are safe. The last thing we want is someone burning their house down due to a fan controller.

The removal of the part ID numbers is and was strictly for the purpose of preventing copies, and as you can tell from this experience we have now, it has worked. All of the imitations you see hitting the retail shelves do not use the same individual parts on the PCB's out of the sheer fact that they either cannot afford them or cannot locate the source.

Old 01-21-12, 06:39 PM   #16
Mario1

Quote:
I totally agree with you.
Sure, the overal quality of the product could be worse, but I believe its the same way with all the ripoff products.
Being able to hurt a person in any physical way whatsoever - hell no.
Worst thing a fan controller can do is die on you, which will (most likely) lead to you being pissed off.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool