Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC *** READ THIS FIRST ***

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 07:20 AM   #81
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Sure, that should be fine but I would check the head pressure ratings to be sure. They may have plenty high GPM ratings, but potentially very little head pressure. As long as that rating is good enough that you'll get at least 1LPM through the loop with the added restriction of the blocks you're fine.

With that caveat in place, the only advantage to actual water cooling pumps is the ability to easily secure fittings.

As far as plug-in pumps, fish tank / fountain pumps aren't what that refers to. There are Eheim pumps adapted for water cooling use such as this one. They're expensive and used rather rarely, which is why they received small billing.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-26-12, 10:19 AM   #82
130rne

Ahh, that's it. The pump head on my cheapo is about half that of the pc pumps. Mine's just above 4ft, 100-150gph. It should be enough for just a cpu loop though. Pump head is what I was worried about. For anyone trying this, DO NOT buy the cheapest pump, most small fountain pumps have less than 3ft of head. Mine is the cheapest I'd go-http://www.lowes.com/pd_58695-60084-...ump&facetInfo=

Something like this is what I'd recommend-http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1-92" pump head and still cheaper than pc pumps.

That Eheim looks impressive, I figured you were talking about high end pumps, I wonder what the MTBF on that is?

Great article btw, I think I'm ready to take the plunge!
130rne is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
hokiealumnus (01-26-12)
Old 01-26-12, 04:41 PM   #83
m0r7if3r
Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130rne View Post
That Eheim looks impressive, I figured you were talking about high end pumps, I wonder what the MTBF on that is?
MTBF on the ddc and d5 is 50000hrs, Eheim and Iwakis all have higher MTBFs than that...it's pretty impressive to say the least.

Heat
m0r7if3r is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-24-12, 02:45 PM   #84
Jason_23
Registered

Great read..

I just build a new rig on air, but entertained building it as WC unit. This is exactly what I needed to get started into my research. I am only going to WC 2 @ EVGA GTX 570HD's. After seeing some images and reading I now have an idea of what to look for and start my list.

I will start my own thread once I get closer to the parts list. Questions and comments will be appreciated.

Thanks again for the Write-Up
Jason_23 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
hokiealumnus (02-24-12)
Old 02-24-12, 02:50 PM   #85
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Thanks for the kind words Jason_23, glad you found it useful!

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-26-12, 09:50 AM   #86
GDESMO

New member, that thread on watercooling was fantastic !
GDESMO is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
hokiealumnus (02-26-12)
Old 02-28-12, 10:55 PM   #87
gabloo

Wow! very nice wright up. This is going to be my first time doing liquid cooling and guide explained all the question that I was having. Thanks a lot.
gabloo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-28-12, 11:10 PM   #88
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Thanks! Feel free to post up a thread if you have questions not answered in there, or if you just want to show your new loop.
Old 03-09-12, 06:07 PM   #89
Pvt.Dancer

Does any one know if the Black Ice® GTX Gen Two Xtreme 360 rads are copper or if there another metal? i just ordered mine and am already at the point of no return. the block I got for my CPU is the HK supreme HF all copper block and i forgot to make sure the metals were the same.

Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme CPU: Intel I7 2600K @ 4.8 GHZ Vcore 1.48 Cooling: Custom water cooling 3x120 rad, EK supreme HF full copper, EK 150 basic res, Koolance PMP-450 High-flow Pump RAM:16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2300 GFX: ASUS GTX 690 PSU: Corsair HX 850 Case: Corsair 800D

Server
CPU: 2x Xeon x5550 Memory: 48GB DDR3 1333 ECC REG 8x QR HDD's: 3x 15k SAS 350GB Raid 5 & 3x 7200 RPM SAS 1TB Raid 5
Pvt.Dancer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-09-12, 06:11 PM   #90
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Dancer, start your own thread and put the radiator name in the title. That will get you a better answer faster.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-09-12, 06:22 PM   #91
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

It is (well, copper and brass IIRC). You've got nothing to worry about.
Old 03-09-12, 06:29 PM   #92
Pvt.Dancer

sorry I.M.O.G probably should have but just though it would be such a short simple answer it would be easier. Thanks Hookie that's all i wanted to know.

Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme CPU: Intel I7 2600K @ 4.8 GHZ Vcore 1.48 Cooling: Custom water cooling 3x120 rad, EK supreme HF full copper, EK 150 basic res, Koolance PMP-450 High-flow Pump RAM:16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2300 GFX: ASUS GTX 690 PSU: Corsair HX 850 Case: Corsair 800D

Server
CPU: 2x Xeon x5550 Memory: 48GB DDR3 1333 ECC REG 8x QR HDD's: 3x 15k SAS 350GB Raid 5 & 3x 7200 RPM SAS 1TB Raid 5
Old 03-09-12, 06:34 PM   #93
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Hokiealumnus could answer you in your own thread as well, and others would find the answer easier while searching.

No need to apologize though, just helps everyone if questions are organized by topic as often as possible. Glad you got what you needed.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-09-12, 06:42 PM   #94
Pvt.Dancer

I always do that's why I'm here! and have been for so long. Ill start my own thread because ill have pics to post being that this is my first WC build. Thanks again

Server
Old 04-07-12, 11:26 AM   #95
Bojan2801

I'm new to this forum and this is very good guide for beginner's (me)

psu Corsair TX850M
ram DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB (2red,2black)
case Corsair Carbide 500R
ssd Corsair Force GT 120GB
hdd Samsung 7200 1TB
Bojan2801 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-12, 06:42 AM   #96
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

This should be added here somewhere.

If you're going to watercool a SLi rig, and going to use EK blocks, if you need the 3-Slot separation, buy the triple card one and a blank bridge thingy.

If not, when you upgrade your rig to another motherboard with a different PCIe layout, you'll have a beautiful useless EK bridge and will have to buy another.

My two cents!

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras
txus.palacios is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-12, 08:05 AM   #97
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

That is a bit too specific of a problem to fit a sticky well, in my opinion. Insightful tho.
Old 05-27-12, 10:15 PM   #98
ooostephen

plumbers tape on the threaded parts...

Maybe one of the best once-overs I've read. Not too technical for an introduction, but with resources once your interest has been piqued. One thing, I didn't see any mention of plumbers tape, and thought it would be critical to ensure no leakage occurs. Is there any info on this?
ooostephen is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-28-12, 06:30 AM   #99
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Thanks for the kind words. You don't need plumbers' tape at all really. The vast majority of fittings you can buy have o-rings, which make plumbers' tape pointless.

Last edited by hokiealumnus; 05-28-12 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 01:02 PM   #100
saint19

My radiator is built with Brass body and tubes, louvered copper fins, my CPU block is a full nickel EK waterblock and my compression fittings are bitspower. The tube that I use is primochill black, my simple question is (since I read the guide again), Do I have to use any other liquid like antifreezer or similar?

GPU: MSI GTX 680 Lightning 2GB
RAM: 2x2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600MHz + 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX 2400MHz @ 1600MHz
SSD: Crucial M4 256GB
HDD: 2x500GB Itachi 3Gb/s
Case: Cooler Master HAF X
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Windows 7 Pro x64
Cooler Master CPU Cooler fight : Hyper TX3 Evo vs 212 Evo
saint19 is offline Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop