Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Three PWM Fans from Noctua

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 12:23 PM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

Three PWM Fans from Noctua

Talk about an embarrassment of riches! In short order, Noctua banged out a bunch of PWM fans at the end of 2011. I thought you'd like to look at three of them...

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by mdcomp; 02-17-12 at 01:00 PM.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-12, 01:29 PM   #2
King107s

Only 54cfm.... Its not exactly hard to get a quiet fan or even a high pressure fan when the RPM's and flow rate are this low.

VC Sapphire Dual-X OC 7970 3GB 1050/1500 (3DMark11 P10551)
SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD RAID0 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
PSU Corsair AX1200
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D w/ Aerocool Shark Black ed. fans
Cooling EK Supreme HF Rev 2 block, BIX GTX360 Rad, AFC1212D-PWM Fans, Primochill Myraid Res, Swiftech MCP655-B, Prolimatech PK-1 TIM, PrimoChill Liquid Utopia, PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" UV Blue
King107s is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-12, 07:51 PM   #3
ehume

I suppose I'll have to post comparison data with other fans. They are quiet and compare well with other fans cooling heatsinks like the NH-d14.

Good Cases for Air Cooling

Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + HD 4600 w/1GB system RAM | GA-Z87X-UD4H f7
Armageddon w/two NF-A15's | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix @1600MHz
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup
CM N600 + 2 NF-P12+ULNF front, TY-140 top intake, NF-S12A mid-case, PWM frankenfan side intake
ehume is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-12, 10:12 PM   #4
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

I have a couple of the NF-F12 PWM fans I received along with a heatsink from them I am presently testing, ehume. I haven't crunched the numbers yet (still collecting data points), but right off the cuff I'm not seeing any performance difference between them and the NF-P14 fans that come with the heatsink. They are very well built fans though and I might swap them out on a watercooled rig for the Swiftech fans on the rad on that system and see what temps do. The Swifty fans are much noisier than the NF-F12 PWM fans.
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-18-12, 12:19 AM   #5
SupaMonkey

But, these are focused flow fans. They are going to work best on heatsinks designed to take advantage of that.

X-25M
All on a cross flashed P5K-SE/EPU @ 445FSB
HSPC Large Tech Station
3Dmark11
E6231P4909X1496
***Rosetta Multi-Millionaire***

Last edited by SupaMonkey; 02-18-12 at 12:31 AM.
SupaMonkey is offline Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-18-12, 02:58 AM   #6
synphul

Nice review. Definitely see what you mean about the rubber mounts, way too short. Depending on the type of material (some are soft silicone, others feel like parts of a radial tire), looks like bleeding fingertips or broken fan corners are sure to follow. Would like to give them a try, but I just can't get past that distinct Noctua color scheme. That beige/brown is sure to match..nothing except maybe another Noctua? lol

: Intel C2D E8400 @3.9ghz | CM V8 | GA-EP45-UD3P
: ATI HD 4850 | 2 x 2gb GEIL Evo1 | 2 x 2gb Patriot 6400EL
: Seagate 500gb | Scythe 120mm x2 (SFF21E/SFF21F)
: SeaSonic S12 650w | Antec Sonata II | ASUS DRW

synphul is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-18-12, 07:41 AM   #7
ehume

Quote:
Originally Posted by synphul View Post
Nice review. Definitely see what you mean about the rubber mounts, way too short. Depending on the type of material (some are soft silicone, others feel like parts of a radial tire), looks like bleeding fingertips or broken fan corners are sure to follow. Would like to give them a try, but I just can't get past that distinct Noctua color scheme. That beige/brown is sure to match..nothing except maybe another Noctua? lol
The fans are too tough to break with mere rubber pegs, and those pegs won't cut your fingers. You just won't get a good grip.

Back when I still thought I needed an exhaust fan I tried to mount an NF-S12B in the back of my case. I couldn't do it with the Noctua pegs. I ended up using double-ended pegs for the fan corners away from the side panel (that was before I discovered the isolators linked in the article). The problem with the double-enders was that the rubber was very stiff; they had to be cut or broken off the fan. Where the NF-F12 differs from previous fans it that its screw holes seem a bit smaller -- smaller enough that I don't want to risk putting a Noctua peg in. The Nexus pegs are much softer.

Good Cases for Air Cooling

Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + HD 4600 w/1GB system RAM | GA-Z87X-UD4H f7
Armageddon w/two NF-A15's | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix @1600MHz
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup
CM N600 + 2 NF-P12+ULNF front, TY-140 top intake, NF-S12A mid-case, PWM frankenfan side intake
ehume is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-18-12, 10:39 AM   #8
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

One feature I really like on the NF-F12 PWM fans is the soft rubber on the corners to help cut vibration noise down. The rubber corner inserts are removable too, in case you run into a situation where they would interfere with mounting somehow. But I had no problems mounting them on the heatsink I am presently testing with the rubber corners mounted on the fans.

And synphul, I have to agree with you about the Noctua fan colors. The beige/brown scheme is particularly ugly in my opinion too I wish they had chosen a more nuetral color scheme that doesn't clash so badly with most anything else you put inside your case.
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-20-12, 09:29 PM   #9
Billys Gates
Registered

Yeah I really don't get why they need to have these colors, even though fans are hidden inside and mostly out of view it would be nice to get them in other colors as well. The rubber mountings however are a nice touch.
Billys Gates is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-21-12, 10:59 AM   #10
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billys Gates View Post
Yeah I really don't get why they need to have these colors, even though fans are hidden inside and mostly out of view it would be nice to get them in other colors as well. The rubber mountings however are a nice touch.
Well, I guess it's to go together with ASUS The Ultimate Force motherboard line.
Actually, they do look nice together.

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras
txus.palacios is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-21-12, 01:31 PM   #11
Bobnova

I reviewed a NF12-F for funkykit, it's my daily driver fan now.

The low rating speaks more of Noctua's honesty than it does it's poor airflow compared to other fans. Most fans are wildly over rated, I think I actually believe Noctua.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-22-12, 01:31 PM   #12
King107s

PWM Delta FTW hehe

Its hard to find a better fan for flow rate, pressure and durability than a delta...for all that performance you get some noise but its not too bad IMHO

VC Sapphire Dual-X OC 7970 3GB 1050/1500 (3DMark11 P10551)
SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD RAID0 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
PSU Corsair AX1200
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D w/ Aerocool Shark Black ed. fans
Cooling EK Supreme HF Rev 2 block, BIX GTX360 Rad, AFC1212D-PWM Fans, Primochill Myraid Res, Swiftech MCP655-B, Prolimatech PK-1 TIM, PrimoChill Liquid Utopia, PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" UV Blue
King107s is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-22-12, 01:36 PM   #13
Bobnova

Throw some intense blue LEDs in there and the colors look a lot better, too.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-29-12, 05:53 AM   #14
fwupow

Money poorly spent

My opinion is that these fans are overpriced. All you really get for your money is higher snob-appeal based on the name. Long-life bearings, OK, but you'll be rebuilding & tossing fans out before they have a chance to wear out, so why bother?

1300 rpm is slow. Any fan turning that slow is gonna be quiet. Might as well go with some Blademasters and a properly tuned install of Speedfan and you'll have quiet idle and performance cooling when you need it.
fwupow is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool