• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry to make you so upset ,peace please!

I will say it again with love,
There is a power issue with the fx series chips.
The hot fix has been pulled,
The transistor count lowered ,why power issues.
I did not come here to throw stones,
I choose djangry because amd fan boy is usually taken.
You guys are the hot rodders I value your suggestions,
But the fx is a dog...can any of you recall the phenom1 tlb bug.
You bet it's a hardware problem and when newegg takes a product back after two months and tells me your the second caller today with bsods.
Just lucky I guess.
Please don't attack me, I have built computers since 2000 ,it is how I earn my living.
Amd forever ,but the fx is crap for now.
I am attacking the problem ,none of you personally.
Maybe this isn't a site for adult discussions.

One more thing...press kits hmmm

Hulk
I bet you every press kit is tested to the max.mobo included ,cooler included,cpu cherry picked..belt buckle(haha).

The real world is something else.....
With love and respect......djangry

well I apologize, guess I woke op on the wrong side of the bed this morning, the FX does have its problems, but like others have said, you might have just gotten a bad chip on that one, or it could be incompatible memory, but then it would probably just not post if it was.

As for the lower transistor count, I believe that was a marketing mishap and they gave the wrong transistor count at launch from what I have read.

It's not the FX chip in general, it is your setup specifically.

My FX8150 works fine.
Two BSOD issues for thousands of chips that newegg sold is hardly a concern, especially when other components have a far higher "failure" rate out of the box.

Failure is in brackets as the #1 cause of DOA parts as far as I can tell is user error.

Thank you Khan.

Thank you again,
The problem with the transistor count is important...
Because the mobo company's counted on that in their designs,
why would you lower transistor counts(power issues)leakage etc.
This is very important and I think a lot of people are not putting 2 and 2 together....not you per say,just in general.
Peace

When was the transistor count lowered? Why do you believe it to be an issue that it was?

Dear Bob

Dear Bob,
I'm glad yours works,
I will never build a fx box for any of my customers- until I'm sure this puppy is stable.
Compute in peace.

transistor count

They changed the whole chip,good god man.That is serious!
They are changing fabs- something happened ,when is your guess.

last one from me

Never ever have I had a bad chip from amd.!!!!!

I sent one or two back just for my own peace of mind on troublesome builds.
But I will admit like a man-
It was never the amd chip that was the root of the problem.

So now they make shoddy chips in Africa or where ever their fab was .
Not buyin it.
Flawed design or failure to update mobo manufactures of changes...
Is all I can think of.
I don't have all the answers, that's why I'm here ,
but there is a problem that is developing and comin to light.

Bashing my skills, setups and hardware is not cool.
hot fixes pulled,hardware manufactures just finger pointing and passing the buck,that's crapola.
We need Amd I am concerned about this issue.
And there is an issue!
Even if you diehards don't believe it.
Time will tell.....one love.
Be excellent to each other!

First thing, there is an edit button you can use so that you don't have to keep making double and triple posts.

They changed the whole chip,good god man.That is serious!
They are changing fabs- something happened ,when is your guess.

They have not changed fabs, the # of transistors has not changed. There was merely a marketing mistake.

What a error on my part to seek info ,from such a jaded bunch of flamers.
go melt your sockets.

How about someone with something positive to say about this issue.?
That's why I came here, I think some of you need a little cooling.

I was just trying to warn people and get some feed-back .
You guys just want blood -to much gaming perhaps.
I just want my computers to run right ,not pick fights all day.

:(way...later

Please try not to insult eachother. Your posts are a bit passionate, so maybe a little thicker skin is ok to hold a good discussion. bmwbaxter was just lending some input, he wasn't flaming you.

Their fab is not in africa. Global Foundries has fabs in Germany, Singapore, and NY to my knowledge.

As for the transister count, AMD PR initially claimed almost twice the transistor count as what they later corrected the number to be. I started a thread on this at the time, something titled "AMD can't count their own transistors" because it was such a ridiculous screw to make. That was a PR statement - I believe Mobo manufacturers received the correct numbers for specifications. Over half the AMD PR team got canned after launch, and this screw up could have been related.

It is one thing to report you've had problems with a chip djangry, but you should understand that many of us hang out here every day and hear real user input about their experiences every day. A lot of members have tried out the FX series to find what they think for themselves, and I haven't heard any comments like yours from actual users - some people aren't happy with the performance, others are stoked, but no one is saying the chips don't work.

It sounds like you had a problem with the platform. Whatever it was, you haven't reported any troubleshooting steps to give anyone confidence in your evaluation. We only work of what we know, and trashing the chip without knowing what components you used, what chipset you were on, or what bios version you were running... We don't have anything to go on, except one guy out of hundreds we've heard from is ticked off about how Bulldozer worked for him.

By the way, I think Bulldozer performance flopped. I think the transistor screwup was ridiculous. But I've had a FX-6100 at 7.7GHz and a FX-8120 at 8.23GHz, and I've beat the crap out of them with voltage - they have been fun chips for me. I had a better experience on the 990FX chipset than I did on the 890FX chipset - support on 890FX chipsets was crap, and thats the fault of BIOS design and motherboard manufacturers. The 990FX support was everything it should be in my experience.

This isn't a flame, no need to get defensive... Just sharing. :) Look above at the replies, no one is flaming you (one guy did, but our staff took care of that and he apologized - so take it easy a little bit and be more descriptive, and your responses will be taken more serious than rants)

What a error on my part to seek info ,from such a jaded bunch of flamers.
go melt your sockets.
I'm sorry, what? The person that flamebaited you had their post removed and they were given an infraction minutes after it was typed (if you'll go back to the prior page, you'll notice that post doesn't exist).

Currently the only person with a problem or an axe to grind in this conversation is you sir. No one is flaming you. Several of us, including myself, think you are incorrect in your assessment. Our own experience shows your problem is not one due to the FX processor line as a whole but your particular system. Yes, you could have received a bad CPU but as many people as come through here, we'd know if it was as systemic as you seem to be implying.

You say you wanted to warn people; you did. You say you wanted feedback, you've received it. You seem to be upset because the feedback isn't what you expected.

Regardless, one more post like your last post insulting the members of this forum and you'll soon find it difficult to do so again.

Sorry!
I didn't mean to cross that line.
Thank you Imog for the best response so far.
Hokie didn't mean to rile you.

Just seemed like when you call a company and they tell you your the only one
with an issue.
Then you google it and find your not alone.

I have no axe to grind with anyone.

But have spent a month swapping parts and mobos and memory and power supplies and vid cards and cases to get this puppy to run.
Just lucky I guess.....

I'm baaackkk!

Dear clockers,

I'm waiting for a call back from Amd tech dept.
Before I send my 8150 back to newegg.
I will let you know what ,they have to say about all this.
I did find a few sites really bashing this product,but to be fair to them and you/us...I will see what they have to say about the black screen issues,
I have been dealing with.
Thank you for some of your advice on this matter.
Love and kisses ,your humble narrator.

Dear clockers,

I did find a few sites really bashing this product,but to be fair to them and you/us...I will see what they have to say about the black screen issues,

Thanks, please let us know how that goes, also some sites are simply infested with trolls who use the age old AMD vs Intel mud slinging as a vehicle to get a rise out of people.

The best and most effective way to deal with them is the cold shoulder, that's the opposite of what there looking for. :)

One more....
I bet you half of the problem might be the mobo makers just slapping an fx
sticker on the box ,so to speak.
As the higher the platform- as IMOG suggests,the better the result.
I'm going to guess that they should have changed sockets for this new line,a bummer as that is.(socket love has always been pretty good with Amd).
But the new complex power staging ,might not be do-able on the lower number platforms.
That's just my guess as I'm still waiting for them to respond.
I'll let you know......

Dear clockers,

There are a few reviews on here that put the chip close in performance to the intels and beats it in some things, especially programs and games that use all the cores, I think most peoples dissapointment came from the hype that it would blow intel away, I think its the integer math that intel really has the upper hand and single threaded performance.

However most people that own it from what I've seen also say that the FX desktop feel is better than that of the comparable intels.

i concur,
I have always thought amd's were faster around the desktop,maybe not rendering a photoshop filter,but overall quicker with the browser, opening files etc.
Real world feel ,benchies are one thing ,the boot and general environment speed is another.

don't laugh....
I just can't help myself(during all this I had a Gigabyte micro atx 754 board recapped ala capacitor plague).
That little junky 2.2 754 with 0ne gig of flakey ballistics ram is running win8 64 developers version and the new Ubuntu ala wubi installer with some free boot-loader I found on cnet or one of the others.
It is surprisingly fast ..it shouldn't even have enough cpu or ram ,but it's still kicking butt.
Ahh ancient aliens....

Last edited:
Back