• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i concur,
I have always thought amd's were faster around the desktop,maybe not rendering a photoshop filter,but overall quicker with the browser, opening files etc.
Real world feel ,benchies are one thing ,the boot and general environment speed is another.

Yeah, that much is true, i do go back and forth between my own rig and a SB one i use when i'm not at home.

and it feels no different other than actually pulling things up, getting things loaded up and going it can feel like its behaving like a moody teenager, kind of an unusually long armed, trouser waist around ankles, delayed, slow,- oh... do i have to? i can't be bothered, i hate you!!!!

when i go back to mine its like its on some sort of sugar rush, you want that? BANG..here..oh and that? BOOM... more? what now? i'm ready... give me something to do, i have this...do you want this??????? more more more!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Oh well,
No call from Amd,
funny they said within two hours ,my rep would be calling me back,
All I got was a ticket number ...haha.
The jokes on me ,I call back they no open any mo.

This is not the Amd I remember.
They did send me an email ad about some enterprise server cloud nonsense.

hey you get offa my cloud....just trying to lighten the mood a little.

Meanwhile my rma is ticking away.
If any Amd company reps cruise this site, you're looking a little sad or maybe it's just me that's sad.

I will try one last time tomorrow.
If they can't be bothered.....
Then I will turn my back on an old friend.:confused:

Last edited:
Dear Clockers,
My story is at an end,I forced Amd to talk to me.
After my rep spoke to two techs.
They concluded -thermal issue inside one of the stages .
Please Rma chip.
I will complete my builds with x6 p2's for now and try this again when...
The platforms, the chips and win7 or 8 have it together.
Thanks for putting up with me .
Love your humble narrator.:cool:

Some corrections ...when I said Africa as a fab.. that was in error.
I meant global foundries is owned by an arab emirate state.
And I believe Amd is doing some fab switching.
I might also mention you guys super cool your 8150's ,
and might relate your black screens to your over-clocking.
A parting word after studying this issue,
This chip is inherently flawed in it's construction.
A bad batch perhaps,AMD claimed the chip either works or it doesn't and claimed my issue rare.
But after surfing and studying the chips layout and talking to some engineers.
This is just the beginning of a wave of returns.
This chip has internal heat issues!!!-
that is why the press kit was shipped with a water cooler .!
AND IT IS WHY TRANSISTOR COUNTS WERE LOWERED!!!!!
The press core fired to cover their as@#!
PUT IT TOGETHER...!
It is why other sites are AMD bashing.
This is a heart breaker for me!
I will never build a sandy or ivy sloggy Intel bridge rig.
I will wait until the industry fesses on this issue and fixes the mystery machine...Scooby.

Last edited:
Dear Clockers,
My story is at an end,I forced Amd to talk to me.
After my rep spoke to two techs.
They concluded -thermal issue inside one of the stages .
Please Rma chip.
I will complete my builds with x6 p2's for now and try this again when...
The platforms, the chips and win7 or 8 have it together.
Thanks for putting up with me .
Love your humble narrator.:cool:

Some corrections ...when I said Africa as a fab.. that was in error.
I meant global foundries is owned by an arab emirate state.
And I believe Amd is doing some fab switching.
I might also mention you guys super cool your 8150's ,
and might relate your black screens to your over-clocking.
A parting word after studying this issue,
This chip is inherently flawed in it's construction.
A bad batch perhaps,AMD claimed the chip either works or it doesn't and claimed my issue rare.
But after surfing and studying the chips layout and talking to some engineers.
This is just the beginning of a wave of returns.
This chip has internal heat issues!!!-
that is why the press kit was shipped with a water cooler .!
AND IT IS WHY TRANSISTOR COUNTS WERE LOWERED!!!!!
The press core fired to cover their as@#!
PUT IT TOGETHER...!
It is why other sites are AMD bashing.
This is a heart breaker for me!
I will never build a sandy or ivy sloggy Intel bridge rig.
I will wait until the industry fesses on this issue and fixes the mystery machine...Scooby.

Perhaps i don't know, AMD have money issues, FAB issues, staffing issues, issues issues issues........

Its only the success of there GPU's that's keeping them afloat, there GPU division is probably subsidizing there CPU division.

This CPU was AMD's last chance, i think its performance issues are exaggerated, the AMD bashing you speak of has largely become a trolling hobby.
even if Piledriver becomes a good CPU those trolls will still find ways to bash it, find the one thing wrong with it and then pound on it relentlessly.

I'm not in a mind set of avoiding Intel at all costs, if PB can't cut it £ for £ i will switch.

Either way i do think AMD are now doomed no matter what happens, a very loud minority will not let them pick themselves back up again in market share.

Last edited:
I think AMD will recover ,they have always been the underdog!
Except for the glory days of the 939- when it whipped INTEL for three years straight -
and they(INTEL) had to stop being Fat and Lazy "AMD made them a better company"...
And we all benefited from that.
I didn't mean to scorch INTEL earlier- their O.K.-
I have one in my mac and its all right- I suppose.
Just not my style.. slow, steady and powerful in the render, is not what I'm after right now.
I just like the way a sceamin Amd chip works around the desktop ,
and they make good audio riggs when setup right.

We just need to remember Phenom 1.
All was well when P2 hit.
I think that's whats going on right now- P1 all over again.

Last edited:
I think Amd will recover ,they have always been the underdog!
Except for the glory days of the 939- that whipped Intel for three years straight and they(INTEL) had to stop being fat and Lazy "Amd made them a better company".
And we all benefited from that.
I didn't mean to scorch Intel their O.K.-
I have one in my mac and its all right I suppose.
Just not my style.. slow and steady and powerful in the render, is not what I'm after right now.
I just like the way a sceamin Amd chip works around the desktop and they make good audio riggs when setup right.
We just need to remember Phenom 1.
All was well when P2 hit.
I think that's whats going on right now- P1 all over again.

P-1, yes indeed i know where your coming from.

We will have to wait and see, late this year if they stick to the PD road map.

On a happier note,latest bios B.80- stabilizes click bios- on MSI 990FXA-GD80 .
Finally it's not jumpy!

Well, I'll be upgrading when PD comes out.... I don't need it, I do want it though. I always believe in skipping at least 1 CPU design, and whenever AMD comes out with a new architecture it often takes another chip revision to get it right.

I actually think they've done pretty well this time around, no TLB bug or anything and the architecture shows plenty of promise. This is AMD's first ground up redesign since the original Athlon/K7 after all, K8 and K10 were just an evolution of the K7 architecture. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Well, I'll be upgrading when PD comes out.... I don't need it, I do want it though. I always believe in skipping at least 1 CPU design, and whenever AMD comes out with a new architecture it often takes another chip revision to get it right.

I actually think they've done pretty well this time around, no TLB bug or anything and the architecture shows plenty of promise. This is AMD's first ground up redesign since the original Athlon/K7 after all, K8 and K10 were just an evolution of the K7 architecture. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Yes, David aludded to this in another thread...

The architecture may not have delivered yet, but with a few more tweaks here and there?

We will see :)

Update... bulldozer compatibility,
Well some of you guys were right about platforms for the FX.I am humbled .
Make sure your board supports 125 watt chips ...one board I was trying -only would work well with lower wattage cpu's .
It would run an X6 phenom 2 125watt, but MSI recommended only 95 watt cpu's-
playing it safe .It definitely wouldn't run my flakey FX-8150.
I personally think they changed the recommendation on their site,but I have no proof.
Nowhere on new egg was it mentioned that the board only supported 95 watt cpu's.
I called MSI they said it could run 125 watt cpus, but didn't recommend it.
I asked if they made the change for stability ,but they never called back.
When I bought my dragon rig MSI 790 something- with an x4 140 watt it was all over the place that the board supported 140 watt cpus,now you have to really dig to be sure.
Just because the box says phenom and FX dosen't mean anything.

On the Intel side- a client of mine bought a sandy bridge dell biz rig-cost over a grand easy -and it had serious power issues and was returned so was my clients money (from dell).
What is going on ? Do I have to buy fussy Asus boards again,they always give me a hard time with memory compatibility and longevity.
Hopefully the gigabyte amd board I bought lights up.It is at least rated for 125 watt Cpu's.
Obviously always check the compatibility lists on the manufactures site ,but these days it's more important then ever.
By not double and triple checking ,I suffered a lot of grief and cash-ola.

Also the heat sinks on the 95 watt amd chips are a true joke.
I had to use a stock cooler that was on one of my 125watt x6's.
Smart fan was my saving grace to stop it/them from sounding like hair dryers.
Cool and quiet and turbo are bad news- at least that was/has been my experience.
Measure twice ,cut once and make sure your tape measure doesn't have the numbers on the bottom.
Tool

Thanks for the update djangry!

Re: ASUS & Memory - In my experience, ASUS has some of the most comprehensive memory control & compatibility on the planet. If you look at G.Skill's high-end kits, ASUS boards show up first for compatibility with others to follow. The trick is you absolutely must set at least the first four timings, the command rate & voltage properly. The rest can usually survive on auto, but if you don't set those five things to spec you're in for a headache.

Does FX Bulldozer Revised Version Coming

I have heard flaws on net that AMD will soon launch Bulldozer FX series revised versions as current versions dissatisfied many..
So When Does actually FX Bulldozer series CPU(8120,8150)New Revised...

Again, where are you hearing this? I'm pretty attuned to CPU rumors and have never heard of such a thing.

...and to what flaws are you referring? The CPU didn't perform so great, it's not a flaw; it's the design.

Again, where are you hearing this? I'm pretty attuned to CPU rumors and have never heard of such a thing.

...and to what flaws are you referring? The CPU didn't perform so great, it's not a flaw; it's the design.

+1 please back up what your saying with some links if you have them, IF AMD are going to make some improvements to FX chips we would all like to know about it.

Its not inconceivable, they made some pretty good improvement's in Phenom CPU's going from Phenom I to Phenom II because no one was happy with it.

Well some time has passed since I last stirred things up.

I wish to know how the other members are making out with the fx series.
Especially the eight core.Any black screens ,thermal issues etc.

I was reading some old max pc articles online and they said some guy found a bug in 2011(dragonfly something?) about the Fx- the article was vague and old so I will post no link.
I found some other sites that were just screaming matches about the fx vs the 1100t.

I also notice MSI making v2 revisions on the 990fx-gd80 possibly to account for the fx's shall we say "special needs".

I wrote to AMD this morning asking them not to drop the ball and get their head out of the cloud (so to speak) and back to the enthusiast retail end of things.

I had one fx chip -it gave me grief and I returned it-I then bought every 1100t I could find ,because I had bought so many mobos ...and have been happy ever since.
But we need AMD to keep Intel flying right and keep the prices down and clocks up.

So I would like to know how the Fx is doing in the real world,please let me know how your fx builds are panning out.
Thanks,
Your humble narrator.

I ran that chip at heavy loads 24/7 since new. Finally shut it down three weeks ago for the summer.
While running it on heavy loads I used it, a lot, for daily stuff as well as gaming.

I never had any issues. At all.

That article was from October 2011 and was well publicized at the time. If a new revision hasn't come yet (and with Piledriver reportedly coming up this year) I very highly doubt we'll see a new Bulldozer revision.

Back