Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

[O/C]Guide to Delta-T in Water Cooling

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 03:01 PM Thread Starter   #1
Overclockers.com

[O/C]Guide to Delta-T in Water Cooling

Guide to Delta-T in Water Cooling
by Conumdrum

Quote:
A water-cooled PC, like any other, can generate a significant amount of heat. Some parts produce massive amounts of heat due to the incredible number of calculations needed to give us what we crave – realistic games, distributed computing projects that might change the future of science and encoding and decoding audio and video, to name just a few. I’m going to focus on two parts of your PC: the CPU and the GPU, as these produce most of the heat. I’ll also touch on a few other critical issues you need to understand.
... Return to the article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited by mdcomp; 06-14-10 at 03:40 PM.
Overclockers.com is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
dustin1706 (06-17-10), markp1989 (06-15-10)
Old 06-14-10, 04:00 PM   #2
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Published and stuck.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-14-10, 05:06 PM   #3
Conumdrum
Wants Old Title Back
Didn't Get It

Thanks Hokie, I saw you played with it this weekend. Started out as a sticky and boy it became a article. Not because of me, my skilz just aren't for that. Thanks everyone. Another good one for the new folks. Might make our job easier too.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
27" ASUS VG 3D/Nvidia V2 3D glasses and 24" Acer H243H
Conumdrum is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-16-10, 10:22 PM   #4
Crazy Jayhawk

10 Year Badge

Can't go below ambient? Maybe "bong" setups aren't as popular as they used to be.

Crazy Jayhawk is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-16-10, 10:56 PM   #5
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Bong's don't allow you to go below ambient AFAIK. It's just a form of evaporative cooling isn't it?

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-16-10, 11:02 PM   #6
Higdon

But if we do not ask you stupid questions then how else will you spend your time? Not playing around on your own system I hope. That is for NERDS!

Antec 1200- Antec 900 two- i7 920 D0 @ Stock- Swiftech Apogee XT- MCP655 vario- HX 1000- PA 120.3- GTX 295 @600/1100/1300- Bitspower Z-multi 400mm- 12Gb G.Skill- 6x Gentle Typhoons 1450 Idle ~30C Load ~55C Ambient ~20C
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=644430
Higdon is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-16-10, 11:29 PM   #7
dustin1706
Registered

Nice article man. Great read for any new watercoolers.

Screaming banshee ROFL

4gb 8500DDR2 HyperX
2x Blu-Ray Drives
2x RaptorX 150GB (raid 1), 2x 1.5TB Seagate 7200 HD (raid 1)
Thermaltake Armor Case, CPU+NB liquid cooled,
Toshiba NB200-205
dustin1706 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-17-10, 09:00 AM   #8
thorilan

actually a bong can allow below ambient temps by 1-2C BUT and this is a big BUT they have to be very large and it wont happen during load.

Old 02-28-12, 01:12 PM   #9
MySchizoBuddy

what if you connect the GPU and CPU in parallel. So the cool water from the radiator goes to CPU and GPU in parallel and the output from the GPU and CPU go back in the inlet of the radiator. you will need a T junction to split and join the incoming and outgoing loop
MySchizoBuddy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-28-12, 01:19 PM   #10
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

to OCForums!

It won't make much of a difference because the water temps throughout the loop is always within 1-2C of each other, no matter where you measure the temp. So, water temp after the rad and water temp after the GPU block will be almost the same, maybe 1-2C different.

When splitting into parallel, you have to be careful with flow rate and block restriction to make sure you have enough flow and pressure for the blocks on each split.

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (98-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-29-12, 12:30 AM   #11
Conumdrum
Wants Old Title Back
Didn't Get It

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySchizoBuddy View Post
what if you connect the GPU and CPU in parallel. So the cool water from the radiator goes to CPU and GPU in parallel and the output from the GPU and CPU go back in the inlet of the radiator. you will need a T junction to split and join the incoming and outgoing loop

DT is 100% about your heatload and your generated heat. Your question has NO bearing on the fundamental physics of heat made vs dissipated in a radiator.

No matter if series GPUs make 500 watts of heat or the same cards in parellel making 500 watts of heat.

You STILL end up with the same wattage. And the same required cooling.

Some folks get pretty silly and try to make magic, but physics always wins...........

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
27" ASUS VG 3D/Nvidia V2 3D glasses and 24" Acer H243H
Conumdrum is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-29-12, 02:48 PM   #12
MySchizoBuddy

heat transfer is best if there is a temp difference. for eg.
water at 30C enters one GPU and leaves at 60C this 60C enters the CPU now this already hot water has less heat trapping capability. Thats thermodynamics. If water at 30C enters both GPU and CPU at the same time they both now have the same heat trapping capability. Thats thermodynamics.

According to you a 30C water can remove the same amount of heat as 60C water thats wrong.
Old 02-29-12, 02:54 PM   #13
m0r7if3r
Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySchizoBuddy View Post
heat transfer is best if there is a temp difference. for eg.
water at 30C enters one GPU and leaves at 60C this 60C enters the CPU now this already hot water has less heat trapping capability. Thats thermodynamics. If water at 30C enters both GPU and CPU at the same time they both now have the same heat trapping capability. Thats thermodynamics.

According to you a 30C water can remove the same amount of heat as 60C water thats wrong.
Do you realize just how much heat it would take to raise the temperature of water 30C with as little contact as it makes with the block? It's enormous. You're looking at 1-2C difference MAX from the hottest to the coldest point in your loop, and at that point, you're gonna see more of a difference from flow than from any sort of gain you'd get from having 2C colder water.

Heat
m0r7if3r is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-29-12, 02:54 PM   #14
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

The water reaches an equilibrium, so the water temp differences between components aren't drastic like you're thinking. As I mentioned in my previous post, temp differences are only like 1-2C anywhere in the loop. The heat in watts for each component and the cooling capacity of the rad/fans combine to make the water get to a certain temperature.

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (98-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-29-12, 03:00 PM   #15
MySchizoBuddy

I stand corrected. your right. the temp doesn't go high enough to mean much. So flow restriction will play a greater role. series tubing will result in smaller tubing and hence better flow. correct.
Old 04-14-12, 05:32 AM   #16
Bojan2801

Very, very good guide. Thanks

psu Corsair TX850M
ram DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB (2red,2black)
case Corsair Carbide 500R
ssd Corsair Force GT 120GB
hdd Samsung 7200 1TB
Bojan2801 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-17-12, 02:04 PM   #17
Modz 4 Higher

I have read this over and over and over. It's fun

I ROFL when I saw enters GPU at 30c and leaves at 60c I'm like WTF system are you running. Glad that got cleared up

EVGA P67 FTW / i7 2600k @ 4.9GHz
Swiftech Apogee HD / 2x MCR320 / MCP-35x
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1333MHz
Patriot Pyro 60Gb SSD / Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm
Seagate 500Gb 7200rpm / OCZ 750w Modular
EVGA GTX 480 GeForce 1.5GB GDDR5
Xigmatek Elysium / Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Modz 4 Higher is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-27-12, 03:03 PM   #18
oli4ei162

I want to watercool 2x gtx 670, i7 3770k clocked to 4,3 ghz and a maximus v formula maybe also the ram corsair gt 16gb 2133 (just beceause it looks nice) in a nzxt switch case how many rads do i need?
oli4ei162 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-27-12, 03:06 PM   #19
wagex
Premium Member #13

O.O the guide would tell you that...

8gb gskill 2x4 1600 --------4x4gb samsung ddr2 ECC -----------2x2b ddr3 1600
xfx r9-280x black ----------------- onboard -----------------------------------HD 5450
corsair hx850-------------------------antec vp-450----------------------------------275w came with case
custom loop --------------------------socket f 2u passive ---------------------xigmatek durin
win 7x64------------------------------server 2012 r2 datacenter--------------win 7 64 bit
steam user name : Wagex (you happy bro?) HEAT
"You can't get magical Harry Potter temps with big overclocks, PHYSICS has a lot to do with it." -conumdrum
wagex is online now Benching Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-27-12, 03:14 PM   #20
oli4ei162

Common......
oli4ei162 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop