Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Display and Sound Technology > Sound Systems & Audio Devices
Sound Systems & Audio Devices Including sound cards, speakers and other audio devices.
Forum Jump

Need an amp/dac combo or a sound card for audio technica ad 700s

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 11:55 AM Thread Starter   #1
trueplaya4ever8

10 Year Badge

Need an amp/dac combo or a sound card for audio technica ad 700s

You know your onboard is bad when your iPhone drives your cans better than your onboard sound -_-

So needless to say, I need some recommendations for a USB amp dac or sound card up to about 150 or so. Bang for my buck! Using it mostly for gaming and music.

Audio Technica AD 700s forgot to mention the cans.

My Heat
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25800
trueplaya4ever8 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-16-12, 08:09 PM   #2
Maxvla

Those headphones don't respond all that well to amping, you are probably hearing the difference in the DAC. The audio from the iPhone is actually really good, both amp and DAC. You might be able to find something in your range that sounds as good, but I doubt it will be much better. You might try the Nuforce uDAC that should be around your price.

Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX460 1GB
Intel X-25M 80GB SSD
Magnetics - 2x2TB 4x1TB
Corsair HX850W PSU
NEC DVD-RW
Maxvla is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-17-12, 03:29 PM   #3
BigSurprise

I have paired a FiiO E7 with the AD700's and I liked it. I found the bass boost helped level out the headphones a lot. I haven't used that pair in about a year, but I can remember there being something like 10% gain in clarity.

Looking back on both purchases, I am happy I got them. I still use the E7 for it's DAC.

Ducky Shine II TKL - Deathadder 2013
BigSurprise is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-12, 06:14 PM   #4
oqnx
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
Those headphones don't respond all that well to amping, you are probably hearing the difference in the DAC. The audio from the iPhone is actually really good, both amp and DAC. You might be able to find something in your range that sounds as good, but I doubt it will be much better. You might try the Nuforce uDAC that should be around your price.
It's best just to plan ahead with the audio stuff. Dacs / amps reach a peak around four hundred bucks, might as well just get yourself set up with a decent source before you start investing 400+ on the really nice headphones.

In addition to whats already been suggested, theres the tubemagic for 200 bucks. Lots of connectivity. There is the ibasso d2. Limited connectivity, will require an adapter for high end cans with quarter inch plugs, but its small, will run off of a battery, and has a bass boost option if you want it. Also about 200 if I remember right. There's the audinst HUD MX1 for 180 bucks, also with limited connectivity but it has a quarter and an eighth inch jack. Finally theres the dr. dac2 dx. Lots of connectivity, 250 used.
oqnx is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Display and Sound Technology > Sound Systems & Audio Devices
Sound Systems & Audio Devices Including sound cards, speakers and other audio devices.