Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Display and Sound Technology > Displays and Digital Cameras
Displays and Digital Cameras Monitors, Digital Cameras, etc.
Forum Jump

Cheap, stylish and effective bias lighting solution

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 08:10 PM Thread Starter   #1
flightsectorZRO

Cheap, stylish and effective bias lighting solution

Hey all,

I'm a newbie in this forum (just joined today) and I figured why not start things off by contributing something useful (and I hope I am posting this in the right forum). I just recently found these "mug lamps" while strolling around Lowes and added them to my setup that was sorely in need of better lighting. The difference it makes is amazing.

Here it is without lighting...

no_bias_lighting by flightsectorZRO, on Flickr

And now with lighting!

bias_lighting_1 by flightsectorZRO, on Flickr

bias_lighting_2 by flightsectorZRO, on Flickr

Assuming you have a 2 monitor setup or 1 very large monitor You will need two of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_222273-32641...amp&facetInfo=

(btw, surprisingly good build quality)

...and 2 daylight (6500k "cool" color temperature) CFL bulbs like this:

http://www.amazon.com/89091-15-Watt-.../dp/B0014X5MK0

Edit: (don't know why its so expensive at amazon...I picked up a 2-pack at walmart for $5.

The lamps each come with their own built-in switch on the power cord, but I plug them both into a single power strip that I keep under my desk so I can turn them on and off with my feet, but I'm sure you can come up with something more elegant.

Overall, I think its a pretty powerful bias lighting solution for around $20 total.

Of course, if you only have one medium sized monitor, one lamp should be sufficient and if you have 3 or more monitors, adjust accordingly.

Last edited by flightsectorZRO; 04-01-12 at 10:54 PM. Reason: embedded pics
flightsectorZRO is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-04-12, 06:54 PM   #2
johan851
Insatiably Malcontent

10 Year Badge

Very nice! I've always done this with my monitors because I feel like it lowers eyestrain a lot. I just have a desk lamp tucked behind my monitors pointed at the wall, but this is really convenient.

Dual Dell 2007WFP | Watercooled
johan851 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-04-12, 07:20 PM   #3
Janus67
Benching Team Leader
Wannabe Admin Senior

That looks great! I'm going to need to look into some lighting setups for review pictures and it looks like I can do that and get a good monitor lighting setup as well
Janus67 is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-04-12, 08:18 PM   #4
ssjwizard
Has slightly less legible writing
than Thideras, Member

10 Year Badge

Nice setup, I could probably use some indirect lighting behind my desk, to bad its on the edge of my loft looking down on my living room.

So your looking for an AMD FX motherboard, things you need to know. Whats the max safe temps/volts for an FX?

Green Gorilla, CM 690-II nVidia, FX 8320, GTX 670, liquid cooled
Liquid Fusion, CM 690-II, A8+6670 Dual GFX, liquid cooled
Extreme evaporative water loop 450mm^3 water cooled beast - Incomplete
ssjwizard is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-06-12, 01:18 PM   #5
markp1989

looks nice, I just ordered some white CCFL the same kind people install in their pc as case lighting, I can pick up a 12v power block from the shop to test this on my desktop set up.

this video is similar to what I am trying to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVzVJhklN30

the only problem I have is that the wall with my screens on it is black so I don't know how effective bias lighting will be.

Media Players: Intel NUC (Pxebooting Openelec) | NowTV box running Plex
Firewall: i5 2310 | 4Gb DDR3 | DH67CF ITX | Running Astaro
PORTABLE: Nexus 4 | Nexus 7 2013| Asus EEE transformer | HP Touchpad | 13" MacBook Pro Retina oct 2013 16Gb Ram
markp1989 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-06-12, 07:20 PM Thread Starter   #6
flightsectorZRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp1989 View Post
looks nice, I just ordered some white CCFL the same kind people install in their pc as case lighting, I can pick up a 12v power block from the shop to test this on my desktop set up.

this video is similar to what I am trying to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVzVJhklN30

the only problem I have is that the wall with my screens on it is black so I don't know how effective bias lighting will be.
Ahh, that is a great idea. I actually kind of like that even more than my suggestion because the light is slightly more even and none of it is wasted since the whole bulb is exposed.

As for the black wall, maybe you could just paint a big white square where the light will be reflecting off of? You can even paint a nice border around it so it looks cool. Or if you don't want something so permanent, you could just buy some white posterboard and pin it to the wall.
flightsectorZRO is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-12, 03:41 PM   #7
markp1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightsectorZRO View Post
Ahh, that is a great idea. I actually kind of like that even more than my suggestion because the light is slightly more even and none of it is wasted since the whole bulb is exposed.

As for the black wall, maybe you could just paint a big white square where the light will be reflecting off of? You can even paint a nice border around it so it looks cool. Or if you don't want something so permanent, you could just buy some white posterboard and pin it to the wall.
I am going to have to wait for the lights to show up, I will test it on the black wall to see how it goes if it doesn't work very well I will try out the white card/posterboard idea to see how it goes.

Its gonna take a while for them to get here, I hate bank holidays.

PORTABLE: Nexus 4 | Nexus 7 2013| Asus EEE transformer | HP Touchpad | 13" MacBook Pro Retina oct 2013 16Gb Ram

Last edited by markp1989; 04-13-12 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-13-12, 03:32 PM   #8
markp1989

I got the lights through the post and tested it out today, it seems to work ok even with a black wall.

I tried taking some photos, but my phones auto white balance/exposure setting is making it really hard for me to take pictures of it.

in this pic you can see the lighting a bit these sorts of pictures really show how bad the camera on my mobile is.

although it definetly would be better with a white wall / area behind the screens.

Last edited by markp1989; 04-13-12 at 03:52 PM.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Display and Sound Technology > Displays and Digital Cameras
Displays and Digital Cameras Monitors, Digital Cameras, etc.