• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA Launches GEFORCE GTX 680, aka Kepler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just in case the concern about not enough ram on the 680 is still kicking. Here is another review on 3 screens.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/37253-three-screen-geforce-gtx-680-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

Frakk said:
I would ask you for your gamer tag but i did that once already with another member here and we are never gaming at the same time, despite the fact that i work when i want from home and my internal clock is not rigidly set to UK time, actually its set to Newyork time...
My tag is in the thread started by Janus.

Last edited:
Got that free EVGA bracket in the mail.

Also, I run my card at stock. Theres no game I play at 1920x1200 that needs it. When this thing ages and newer games start to slow then I'll OC it.

Last edited:
Got that free EVGA bracket in the mail.

Also, I run my card at stock. Theres no game I play at 1920x1200 that needs it. When this thing ages and newer games start to slow then I'll OC it.

By that time, there will be another BA card out from AMD or nVIdia that you won't be able to resist :D

I cant see the link, but know in the conclusion that they both, apparently, "suck" but the 680 beat out the 7970. My point was its not a ram issue like many have been concerned about in the past. :)

I cant see the link, but know in the conclusion that they both, apparently, "suck" but the 680 beat out the 7970. My point was its not a ram issue like many have been concerned about in the past. :)

They both seem shader limited, and the 680 has more shader power, so it wins a contest where both are unusable. I do agree that it shows nVidia knew what it was doing when it engineered the bus width and frame buffer size for the card though.

Has anyone done triple monitor SLI/Crossfire testing yet? With the additional shader power available, memory bandwidth might become more dear.

bah, drivers drivers drivers. When nvidia reaches level of driver maturity that AMD has, i "hope" the 680's will scale better for 2x/3x sli.

I wouldn't say all of them, the 7970 won AvP decently.
Everything else it lost convincingly.

None of the games had what modern folks call a playable frame rate, though back when I was younger 20+FPS was great, and 30+ (7970 manages it in AvP) was fantastic. Hell one of my games capped at 31FPS!

Anyway, neither of them have the horsepower for that resolution single card.
The real test will be dual card and/or triple card. No more ram, lots more shader power.

EDIT:
To those who say drivers:
Every time one brand beats the other, the winning brand "has more mature drivers".
Any time a fan of one brand wants to justify their position, they blame the drivers of the other brand.
The hilarious part is that this works both ways and always happens.
And yet, only rarely do more "mature" drivers do much for a card on the whole. The last one I can remember where they made a meaningful difference was the 5830.
This speaks towards performance, not crashes/etc. of course.

AMD has had better multi-card scaling for something over a year now (more?), if that isn't long enough for nvidia drivers to mature I am frightened.

AMD has had better multi-card scaling for something over a year now (more?), if that isn't long enough for nvidia drivers to mature I am frightened.

To be fair, you get better raw scaling with AMD, but worse micro-stutter problems as a general rule. Driver updates often result in measurable improvements over time with multi-GPU setups for both camps.

I've yet to see microstutter at all from either camp personally, so I don't have much input on that front.

bah, drivers drivers drivers. When nvidia reaches level of driver maturity that AMD has, i "hope" the 680's will scale better for 2x/3x sli.

This is one of the few times that I have read someone praise AMD/ATI for their drivers over nVidia.

Overall I would say I have had less issues (single and dual card) with nVidia [less crashes and microstuttering] than I have with ATI. With that said, ATI has had better multi-card scaling for some time.

I'm considering going to green for the first time in 7 generations. Speaking from experience, I have rarely had issues with ATI/AMD drivers as a whole though I did notice issues with the 2000 series, but that card wasn't that great anyway. I also had a few issues with the 5x series, but those were fixed in about 4 driver releases as well. This is all based on single card/single GPU setups. I always see these posts about AMD having immature drivers but I have not seen it yet.

Now back to my question, where the HELL DO I BUY A 680??? When it's out of stock everywhere....

I'm considering going to green for the first time in 7 generations. Speaking from experience, I have rarely had issues with ATI/AMD drivers as a whole though I did notice issues with the 2000 series, but that card wasn't that great anyway. I also had a few issues with the 5x series, but those were fixed in about 4 driver releases as well. This is all based on single card/single GPU setups. I always see these posts about AMD having immature drivers but I have not seen it yet.

Now back to my question, where the HELL DO I BUY A 680??? When it's out of stock everywhere....

Just wait until the production catches up, and check once every 5 hours. It'll be in stock at some point.

Bracket comparison:

photo7.jpg

And OMG! No temp change. :p Perhaps if you had really poor caseflow and lived in a very hot environment you'd noticed the claimed 3°C difference.

Back