Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

State Vehicle Modification Laws

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 04-08-12, 09:52 PM Thread Starter   #1
Coreyoliseffect

State Vehicle Modification Laws

I have been Googling around trying to find a decent site that lists the SC state laws for vehicle modifications. I have an idea of something that I want to do with my vehicle but I want to be sure that it is legal before I do it. I understand that if it is questionable that I probably shouldn't do it. Thanks for your concern ahead of time. Along with the possible vehicle mod I have some other laws that I would like to review. Anyone have a suggestion on a site that I can go to?

Or, if there is anyone that is law enforcement that wouldn't mind answering a few questions I would be pleased to hear from you. I would prefer someone who is familiar with SC laws specifically. Even an opinion would be nice from someone in the law enforcement field.

Thanks for any help ahead of time!

G. Skill Ripjaw 2GB | OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 4X2GB | 3GB DDR2
OCV Vertex 120GB | Segate Barracuda 1TBX2 R0+1 | Hitachi 160GB X2
2 Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | ASUS EAH5870 V2 | NVidia GeForce 8600M GT
MSI Twin Frozor II 6950 | NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ | 9 Cell Battery
Antec 650W PSU | Cooler Master UPC 700W | Perpetually Plugged In
Stock Cooling | 5 Blue 120mm Case Fans |
WC Coming Soon | Swiftech 360 with 3 UHS Panaflos |
Articles: Ubuntu Tweak | Got Home Brew? | HWBot | HEATWARE | In The Begining
| 91 Honda Civic
Coreyoliseffect is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-08-12, 11:28 PM   #2
gregmacknass

EVGA GTX 770 with EK FC770 and backplate
Antec EA750
55" Toshiba 55WX800U LED 1080P monitor
gregmacknass is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-09-12, 05:45 PM   #3
Wathnix

10 Year Badge

or you could just call the South Carolina DMV and ask.

Old 04-09-12, 05:56 PM   #4
KonaKona
Trashcan Man Member

If there aren't inspections then just don't do anything obnoxious.

Member of the MOAR VOLTS™ club.
KonaKona is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-09-12, 06:48 PM   #5
shuiends

What are you wanting to do. With no safety or emissions testing you can do just about anything and not get taught.

"Government is essentially the negation of Liberty." -Ludwig von Mises
shuiends is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-09-12, 07:40 PM Thread Starter   #6
Coreyoliseffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiends View Post
What are you wanting to do. With no safety or emissions testing you can do just about anything and not get taught.
I wanted to add blue LEDs that strobe. From what I am thinking though it is a federal offense to even have them installed much less turn them on. It would be a great trick to play on my buddies but the risk seems way to big.
Coreyoliseffect is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-09-12, 08:54 PM   #7
Mandrake4565

Just remember the more attention you bring to your car, unless you're a perfect driver. The more likely you are to be pulled over. Even if the modification is considered legal.
Mandrake4565 is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-09-12, 09:07 PM   #8
gregmacknass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyoliseffect View Post
I wanted to add blue LEDs that strobe. From what I am thinking though it is a federal offense to even have them installed much less turn them on. It would be a great trick to play on my buddies but the risk seems way to big.
Yeah that is felony impersonation of a police officer, and joking or not you can get in a LOT of trouble for it. It is illegal in most (if not all states) to even have blue or red lights (other than red brake lights) installed on your vehicle. So while it might be funny to do, it's not worth the risk of jail.

EVGA GTX 770 with EK FC770 and backplate
Antec EA750
55" Toshiba 55WX800U LED 1080P monitor
gregmacknass is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-10-12, 01:01 AM   #9
neonblingbling

Regarding blue lights, does anyone have the exact wording? I've seen several cases where blue lights were on (at least not flashing...) and I thought it was illegal too.

Old 04-10-12, 08:48 PM   #10
Wathnix

10 Year Badge

yeah, flashing blue, red or yellow lights are illegal (except turn signals and brake lights) they are reserved for emergency services. Just find another way to prank him.

Old 04-11-12, 07:46 AM Thread Starter   #11
Coreyoliseffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonblingbling View Post
Regarding blue lights, does anyone have the exact wording? I've seen several cases where blue lights were on (at least not flashing...) and I thought it was illegal too.
I would like to see the exact wording as well. I would think that this would be covered in a national law rather than a state law as it would/should be illegal in all states. I just cant' find a good site that has the law easily accessible or has it in plain English. The only thing that I have come across is, paraphrased of course: If you are not X, Y, or Z you can't use/have them.

I have personally leaned against even having them because of the possible punishment. Al it would take is the one cop that is not that lenient and it would be some serious jail time. The chances of running into that cop if I got pulled over for this would be, oh say 110% as it should be.

| 91 Honda Civic
Old 04-11-12, 08:10 AM   #12
PanteraGSTK

10 Year Badge

It isn't legal to have strobe lights of any kind on a vehicle no matter the color due to the fact that some people react badly to that type of light and it can cause an accident. Also, some stop lights react to the strobe light effect that emergency services/cops have that will cycle them to green quickly, they don't really want you to trigger that in a personal vehicle. Do a search for state inspection laws and you should be able to find what you're looking for.

EVGA 750i SLI FTW, Q6600 @ 3200mhz 1.325v, vdroop mod, Kingston pc8500 4gb, 2x 8800GT in SLI, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB,WD 320GB for games, Xclio 650w psu, Scythe Infinity 2X Kingwin 80cfm 120mm fans, X-fi xtreme gamer, Windows 7 Ultimate

Bill Gates over heard saying "If i had a penny for every time Windows Crashed... Oh wait, I do."
PanteraGSTK is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-11-12, 08:25 AM Thread Starter   #13
Coreyoliseffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK View Post
It isn't legal to have strobe lights of any kind on a vehicle no matter the color due to the fact that some people react badly to that type of light and it can cause an accident. Also, some stop lights react to the strobe light effect that emergency services/cops have that will cycle them to green quickly, they don't really want you to trigger that in a personal vehicle. Do a search for state inspection laws and you should be able to find what you're looking for.
I did not know about the strobe effect changing the light to green.

| 91 Honda Civic
Old 04-11-12, 02:32 PM   #14
shuiends

Quote:
Where did you want to add the blue LED lights? That will be the biggest thing to as if they are legal or not. I would advise though that adding LED's to a car is never a smart idea, it immediately moves you into the ricer category.

Quote:
I did not know about the strobe effect changing the light to green.
It does not work on all stop lights. Only certain ones, and I do not know if it works on any in SC.

Where in SC do you live?

"Government is essentially the negation of Liberty." -Ludwig von Mises
shuiends is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-11-12, 03:10 PM   #15
Diggrr
Underwater Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Meh, I'd find another joke personally.
Just when you think the coast is clear, up jumps Barney Fife wanting to "nip it in the bud".

BTW, I thought SC was an inspection state. It was when I lived on Hilton Head years ago...you could then ask at any inspection approved garage, they have the manuals.

Life's Tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. ~ Benjamin Franklin
Diggrr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-11-12, 03:20 PM Thread Starter   #16
Coreyoliseffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiends View Post
Where did you want to add the blue LED lights? That will be the biggest thing to as if they are legal or not. I would advise though that adding LED's to a car is never a smart idea, it immediately moves you into the ricer category.

It does not work on all stop lights. Only certain ones, and I do not know if it works on any in SC.

Where in SC do you live?
Well ya see I drive an 03 Crown Vic. White. Not the police package but it looks the same. 2 in front grill. 2 above rear view. Hidden by tint strip. 2 in rear. Hidden by tint. It would look legit and be near impossible to see when off. I did do a proof of theory test with the set that I ordered. What really made me lean towards no was that the tint dampened the LEDs to much. I want it to be perfect since the risk is so huge. To get perfect I would have to spend $$$. Not worth it. Live in the Lexington area. The town would have a field day if/when they caught me.
Old 04-11-12, 03:23 PM Thread Starter   #17
Coreyoliseffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggrr View Post
Meh, I'd find another joke personally.
Just when you think the coast is clear, up jumps Barney Fife wanting to "nip it in the bud".

BTW, I thought SC was an inspection state. It was when I lived on Hilton Head years ago...you could then ask at any inspection approved garage, they have the manuals.
We are not an inspection state. The Hilton Head area may be different but I have never had my vehicle inspected.

Once again you are right. Everyone I have mentioned it to says DON'T DO IT. Something tels me they're right.
Old 04-11-12, 05:19 PM   #18
Xenocide

This is the dumbest idea I have heard, ever.

have fun.

Old 04-12-12, 10:07 AM Thread Starter   #19
Coreyoliseffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
This is the dumbest idea I have heard, ever.

have fun.
Thanks for your constructive comment.

I know that. That is why I posted this thread more on the basis of trying to get a hold of a copy of laws for my state rather than for this one specific instance. There are other laws that I am interested as well. Such as ground effects which I had thought to be illegal to run while moving but fine in a parked. I have heard some people say different but as always I am skeptical.

| 91 Honda Civic
Old 04-12-12, 10:38 AM   #20
Bobnova

I know that forward facing blue or red lights (strobed or not, the PULL OVER NOW light on highway patrol cars does not flash) are illegal in cali. Don't know about the rest of the world.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.