Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Forum Jump

Keep it on, or shut it down?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 07:53 PM   #21
Tinmann
Registered

I shut mine down every night before bed. My antivirus subscription is a live on so it only counts the hours it's online.
Tinmann is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-05-12, 07:57 PM   #22
Neuromancer

I set mine to hibernate after 1 hour.

Not shut off but not sucking down watts either. I don't fold crunch or mine . And when I am home my PC is generally being used whether because I am actually on it or it is playing music or videos to entertain me while I do something else.

Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me
Neuromancer is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-05-12, 08:32 PM   #23
merz.38

I don't have AC in my room and my comp uses alot of power.

It get's put to sleep so that the third floor of my house doesn't turn into an amazon rainforest.

Also, the hibernate function on windows 7 is fantastic, I never have any issues w/ it.

EVGA 680 GTX 2GB
2 x OCZ Vertex 2 60gb running in raid 0
2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB running in raid 0
Corsiar TX-950w
Custom Watercooling Loop Build Thread:http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=701267
Macbook Air running Windows 7 64-bit
merz.38 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-06-12, 12:05 AM   #24
Metlcub

I usually shut mine down every night when I go to bed, Unless i have it doing something like downloading a new game from steam, win updates etc.. I also turn off the power strip when I shut it down, still use the old power strips the sit under your monitor. I unplug if a storm is coming.

My system takes longer to post then it does to boot. but thats casue of OC setting and voltage checks. still from the time I hit the power button, Im up and rdy in like 20 seconds

RAM Corsair Veng 12gig DDR3-1600
GPU EVGA 760 SC Acx
Storage 2tb HDD
DVD Samsung BD/DVD/CD
Inputs Logitech G510 and G700
Sound Sb X-Fi titanium , TB DX12
Case Haf X Advanced
PSU TT TR2 RX 750w
My Heatware
Metlcub is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-12, 10:58 PM   #25
JigPu
Inactive Pokémon Moderator

10 Year Badge

I'm of the standby persuasion. The diference between "off" and "standby" is about 3 watts on my system, and I don't have to bother with shutdown or bootup

JigPu

.... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
.... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
.... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
.... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
"GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.
JigPu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-12, 12:34 AM   #26
mjw21a

I turn them off at home, I leave my work computer on all week but turn it off on Fridays. Besides, my home computers are all running SSD's so they boot quickly anyway, so there's no real inconvenience to turning them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlcub View Post
My system takes longer to post then it does to boot. but thats casue of OC setting and voltage checks. still from the time I hit the power button, Im up and rdy in like 20 seconds
So true. How SSD's have changed things.

Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-12, 03:25 AM   #27
Frakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw21a View Post
I turn them off at home, I leave my work computer on all week but turn it off on Fridays. Besides, my home computers are all running SSD's so they boot quickly anyway, so there's no real inconvenience to turning them off.

So true. How SSD's have changed things.
I have yet to get one, i have all this hexa core Phenom muscle strangled by a slow grinding mechanical brick!

Phenom muscle... remember? you used to have some of that

Old 04-13-12, 01:44 PM   #28
fcomstoc

I have not ever turned off my computers, they are usually on for months. The only time they ever get turned off is when Windows runs updates and needs a reset for that.
I have been doing this since I got my first computer more then 15 years ago and havent really had any issues in doing that.

HTPC: MacBook Pro 13in (Early 2011) - Upgraded to 8GB RAM // OSX Mavericks // Xubuntu 12.04
Folding User Stats
root@linux# mv /home /dev/null
fcomstoc is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-12, 02:45 PM   #29
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor

I rarely shut it down unless I wont be back home for over a day or so. If leaving this on hurts me in the electricity bill department, I have bigger problems than a couple $ /month it actually is to run leave it on.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-12, 02:57 PM   #30
illli

i used to shut down mine. now i just turn the screen off
illli is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-12, 03:00 PM   #31
57udl3y

shut down my gaming rig at night, but partly because it makes more noise then i can bear to sleep with. My work computers i leave on because i don't leave enough time between waking up and starting work

H80
Matrix 580 Platinum
4x4gb 1600
850 watt gold PSU
1tb 7200 32mb
64gb ssd
Folding User Stats
57udl3y is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-13-12, 05:26 PM   #32
Janus67
Benching Team Leader
Grabbed Senior

Sleep mode, been using it for years. Computer sips power when asleep.

Also doesn't generate heat when not in use keeping my cooling costs down
Janus67 is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-12, 06:32 PM   #33
Bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlcub View Post
I usually shut mine down every night when I go to bed, Unless i have it doing something like downloading a new game from steam, win updates etc.. I also turn off the power strip when I shut it down, still use the old power strips the sit under your monitor. I unplug if a storm is coming.
I do the same exact thing.

*Bobnova + Earthdog know it all.
Bosco is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-12, 09:41 PM   #34
mjw21a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakk View Post
I have yet to get one, i have all this hexa core Phenom muscle strangled by a slow grinding mechanical brick!

Phenom muscle... remember? you used to have some of that

Lol, yup however I just wanted a BD so I gave my old Thuban to a mate, got his onld Athlon II X4 which will go to another mate..... Got to get all my mates upgraded to play BF3.

There's a fair bit of heat comes out the back of my system while gaming now, my old Thuban used to run cold

When you do make the transition to an SSD you'll love it.

Considering moving to an Intel build next. I've not owned an Intel since my old Pentium 100 back when I was in high school.

Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-12, 09:57 PM   #35
Cigarsmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by illli View Post
i used to shut down mine. now i just turn the screen off
Nap mode.
Cigarsmoker is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-12, 09:12 AM   #36
jazon1

mine has the same same sleep scheduled as me,as long as im up its running but at night its shutdown,like Bobnova said i believe your friend was referring to older HDD's were every shutdown was a potential failure for the HDD.its really up to you if your on and off it all day then just leave it running and shut it down at night if you just check email once a day or something just keep it off til needed.

Psu----Corsair AX1200
Mobo---ASUS Sabertooth X79
Ram----32 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Sound--Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty
Hdd----Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD + 8TB External
Bluray-LG 3D 12x W/MDISC
Video--Evga GTX 680 SC Signature
Monitor-Samsung 46"3D LED-UN46C8000XF
OS-----Windows 7 x64 Ult
jazon1 is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-12, 07:27 PM   #37
SPreston2001

I put mines to sleep whenever im gonna step away from it for awhile and shut it down when I know ill be gone for a extended period (work, vacation).

EVGA GTX590
Win 7 64-Bit
600GB Velociraptor (OS)
2TB Western Digital Caviar Black (Storage)
Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU
Prolimatech Megahalem CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Cosmos S
SPreston2001 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-12, 09:42 PM   #38
illli

oh yeah, I forgot about that. Vacations I turn it off.
illli is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices