Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

New Gaming Computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread
 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-12, 12:29 PM Thread Starter   #1
Dawgdoc
Member

 
Dawgdoc's Avatar 

Join Date: Feb 2007

 
New Gaming Computer


Hello all!

Its been awhile. Ive been out of the OC scene for awhile, and Im looking to build a new gaming computer. My time to put one together myself is limited, so Im considering going with cyberpc.com

Here is a system I am tenatively looking at putting together. Nothing is definite yet. I would appreciate any input as I have been inactive in building computers and OC'ing for a few years now and the newer products have surpassed my recent computer knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

PS - Any suggestions on changes appreciated

Case: * CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 200mm Fan, Integrated Fan Controller, Front USB 3.0 & X-Dock, and Easy Carry Handle

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

Cooling Fan: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 18dBA)

Motherboard: (3-Way SLI Support) Gigabyte X79 G1 Assassin 2 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Creative 20K2 HD Audio, Killer E2100 LAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked)


Power Supply: 1,050 Watts - Corsair HX1050W 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

Hard Drive: 512 GB OCZ Vertex 4 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 535 MB/s Read & 475 MB/s Write (Single Drive)

Sound: Asus Xonar Essence ST 24-bit 192KHz PCI Sound Card

__________________
Ross: "Never miss an opportunity to beat on someone else's hardware using their LN2"
Dawgdoc is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 01:40 PM   #2
WreckWren
Registered

 
WreckWren's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdoc View Post
Hello all!

Its been awhile. Ive been out of the OC scene for awhile, and Im looking to build a new gaming computer. My time to put one together myself is limited, so Im considering going with cyberpc.com

Here is a system I am tenatively looking at putting together. Nothing is definite yet. I would appreciate any input as I have been inactive in building computers and OC'ing for a few years now and the newer products have surpassed my recent computer knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

PS - Any suggestions on changes appreciated

Case: * CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 200mm Fan, Integrated Fan Controller, Front USB 3.0 & X-Dock, and Easy Carry Handle

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

Cooling Fan: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 18dBA)

Motherboard: (3-Way SLI Support) Gigabyte X79 G1 Assassin 2 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Creative 20K2 HD Audio, Killer E2100 LAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked)


Power Supply: 1,050 Watts - Corsair HX1050W 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

Hard Drive: 512 GB OCZ Vertex 4 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 535 MB/s Read & 475 MB/s Write (Single Drive)

Sound: Asus Xonar Essence ST 24-bit 192KHz PCI Sound Card
I wouldn't get that CPU. At that speed (and without the possibility of overclocking) it's going to be a bottleneck quickly.

Are you definitely going to be going 3-4 way SLI? If not, perhaps get a more basic mobo and PSU, since that mobo and PSU are really excessive for even 2 way SLI.

If you want to go W/C why not get individual parts?

Good choice with the 680 SC, just keep in mind that GK110 is on the way.
WreckWren is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 05:53 PM   #3
mjw21a

 
mjw21a's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Brisbane

 
Nice build, might I suggest you save some money and not bother with the Asus Xonar DX. A Turtle Beach DSS 2 will give you much better sound quality, converting your mainboard optic out to virtual dolby surround. Far better clarity than the Xonar DX. It's the biggest sound quality increase I've had so far, and that was transitioning FROM the Xonar DX.

I picked mine up for $60, $40 less than my old Xonar DX cost me. I just wish I'd tried this sooner.

Likewise, an i5 2500K would be a better value choice if you intend to overclock, with the money saved you can spend that on extra/faster RAM instead.

__________________
CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN

Last edited by mjw21a; 04-23-12 at 05:58 PM.
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 06:38 PM   #4
WreckWren
Registered

 
WreckWren's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

 
i5 2500k and Z68 is a good recommendation Cheap and great overclockability/compatibility and reliability.

On the front of a sound card; it depends on how fussy you are about sound and how good your speakers/headset are. If you have good speakers/headset, DEFINITELY get the sound card, as the onboard audio just cannot compare.

However, if you just have basic speakers (logitechs etc) or basic headphones, then just get something like a CM Storm headset. If you're fussy about audio at all then "virtual surround" just isn't very good.

Don't get sucked in by USB sound cards/USB audio; it's just nowhere near a proper PCI/PCI-E sound card. If you don't care about audio... What's wrong with just ipod earphones through the 3.5mm jack?
WreckWren is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 06:55 PM   #5
mjw21a

 
mjw21a's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Brisbane

 
^^^ DSS2 does not use the onboard audio dude, it uses the onboard optical out and the DAC on the Turtle Beach DSS2 does the sound processing. Look into it dude. I can guarantee it beats the hell out of the Xonar DX, I've used both. It is NOT a USB sound card. It recieves dolby digital signal from your fibre port, converts this into virtual suround for your headset the same as an Asus Xonar DX does, the the Asus card does it in software rather than hardware. USB is purely to power the device. Research the product before bashing it.

Exactly the same thing as running the optical out into a reciever (my Denon AVR-1312 for example). PCI-E sound cards completely suck by comparison.

__________________
CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 07:08 PM   #6
WreckWren
Registered

 
WreckWren's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw21a View Post
^^^ DSS2 does not use the onboard audio dude, it uses the onboard optical out and the DAC on the Turtle Beach DSS2 does the sound processing. Look into it dude. I can guarantee it beats the hell out of the Xonar DX, I've used both. It is NOT a USB sound card. It recieves dolby digital signal from your fibre port, converts this into virtual suround for your headset the same as an Asus Xonar DX does, the the Asus card does it in software rather than hardware. USB is purely to power the device. Research the product before bashing it.

Exactly the same thing as running the optical out into a reciever (my Denon AVR-1312 for example). PCI-E sound cards completely suck by comparison.

So you run the optical out out from your ONBOARD AUDIO and use a USB SOUND CARD to have "VIRTUAL SURROUND"?

Yeah PCI-E sound cards suck. That higher quality audio, genuine 5.1/7.1, ability to fully enjoy FLAC etc, convenience of it being in-case, compatibility with true 5.1/7.1 headsets, versatility for recording, multiple mics... These features are terrible!


By the way OP, seeing are you selected the Xonar, I'd guess you're planning on running into some good speakers. Obviously nothing that uses onboard audio or USB will not compare to a proper sound card running into a good receiver/set of speakers/headset.

__________________
i7 2600k @4.5GHz, NH-D14
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
G.Skill 8GB RipjawsX @1600
EVGA 680 Signature+ SC
Antec Quattro 1000
Silverstone AP141s

Last edited by WreckWren; 04-23-12 at 07:20 PM.
WreckWren is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 07:24 PM   #7
mjw21a

 
mjw21a's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Brisbane

 
If you know anything about the optic ports you would know that it does not use the audio chip, it does nothing more than convert the already digital signal into light pulses to send over the optical cable.

It does not matter what you use to output optic signals, it remains the same. The DAC is the important component.

Why are we even arguing this point. As I've already said, I've owned and still DO own an Asus Xonar DX, the DSS2 is so far ahead of it in terms of sound quality that there's simply no comparison.

SPDIF - http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/th...f-audio.80009/

__________________
CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN

Last edited by mjw21a; 04-23-12 at 07:43 PM.
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 07:32 PM   #8
WreckWren
Registered

 
WreckWren's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw21a View Post
If you know anything about the optic ports you would know that it does not use the audio chip, it does nothing more than convert the already digital signal into light pulses to send over the optical cable.

It does not matter what you use to output optic signals, it remains the same. The DAC is the important component.

Why are we even arguing this point. As I've already said, I've owned and still DO own an Asus Xonar DX, the DSS2 is so far ahead of it in terms of sound quality that there's simply no comparison.
Uh huh so you would say that the optical port on an average mobo would be capable of 5.1/7.1 or extreme quality levels?

Because to my knowledge the only boards that have had "acceptable" onboard audio (which the onboard Optical port is part of) are the G1 Assassin boards. However, the audio from a PCI/PCI-E sound card (at least a decent one) has always been better.

Of course, OP saying he wants a gaming build, will want a surround sound setup. High quality audio is also a great addition with today's games sporting the best audio yet.

I don't know what you think an optical port does, but it seems like you don't fully understand how onboard audio works. Optical out is just another connector, albeit a better one (than the 3.5mm jacks).

Oh, and I have owned, do own and am currently using a Creative X-Fi Fatality. The difference between onboard Optical and the optical from the sound card was night-and-day. Granted this sound card is one of the best of the gaming-oriented cards out there, it's enough for non-audiophiles to notice a clear difference. I have used USB headsets, both stereo and surround. I have used USB sound cards, and I have used upmixers (which is what the TB DSS2 is). Upmixers are a scam, mostly just adding a different EQ curve and working like a placebo. Not higher quality audio (because onboard audio is very limited, regardless of port... What a silly suggestion), because the source audio (onboard port) is only so good. You can't get blood from a stone. It's like turning SD video into HD.

__________________
i7 2600k @4.5GHz, NH-D14
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
G.Skill 8GB RipjawsX @1600
EVGA 680 Signature+ SC
Antec Quattro 1000
Silverstone AP141s
WreckWren is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 07:39 PM   #9
mjw21a

 
mjw21a's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Brisbane

 
The analog onboard quality is The optical onboard quality is excellent. I refuse to use USB headsets as the sound quality is complete junk. As I've said, the Xonar DX simply doesn't compete with the DSS2.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...d-pdif-quality

__________________
CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN

Last edited by mjw21a; 04-23-12 at 08:16 PM.
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 07:44 PM   #10
WreckWren
Registered

 
WreckWren's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw21a View Post
The analog onboard quality is The optical onboard quality is excellent.
NEWS!

It's coming from the same source.

Go to your audio playback options right now. And look at what you can output in terms of frequency range, dynamic range, bitrate etc.

Those options are the freakin' same no matter what you plug into the optical port. This is because it's the onboard optical port.

Hence the point of a proper sound card. For when the onboard audio isn't good enough, no matter how many snake oil dispensers you plug into the USB ports.

__________________
i7 2600k @4.5GHz, NH-D14
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
G.Skill 8GB RipjawsX @1600
EVGA 680 Signature+ SC
Antec Quattro 1000
Silverstone AP141s
WreckWren is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 07:46 PM   #11
mjw21a

 
mjw21a's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Brisbane

 
Can't look at it now, I'm at work

__________________
CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 07:49 PM   #12
WreckWren
Registered

 
WreckWren's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

 
OK, have a look when you get home. Have a look at it with and without the snake oil DSS2 plugged in.

__________________
i7 2600k @4.5GHz, NH-D14
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
G.Skill 8GB RipjawsX @1600
EVGA 680 Signature+ SC
Antec Quattro 1000
Silverstone AP141s
WreckWren is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 08:14 PM   #13
mjw21a

 
mjw21a's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Brisbane

 
It is definitely better than the Xonar DX though. Main issue I had with the Xonar DX was the same as I had with onboard audio. I kept getting electrical interence noise at low volume. Happened with multiple builds though much more noticable with better quality headphones. I found that the Xonar DX didn't actually get rid of the noise at all, although I did get directional sound and slightly improved audio when at volume. I moved to the DSS2 and everything is now crystal clear. Directional sound in games is less pronounced than with the Xonar DX, though seemingly more natural. Much better in movies and games when hearing headphones. I don't run separate speakers so I can't comment on that.

I have noticed that some sounds sound a little flatter than with the Xonar DX however the overall experience is much improved. I did find however that if I used the plugged the USB connector used for power into my system the electrical interference noise came back, though less distinct than with the Xonar DX. I had a spare AC adapter to USB power connector lying around and plugged it into that. Things are now perfect.

__________________
CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN

Last edited by mjw21a; 04-23-12 at 08:22 PM.
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 09:02 PM   #14
WreckWren
Registered

 
WreckWren's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw21a View Post
It is definitely better than the Xonar DX though. Main issue I had with the Xonar DX was the same as I had with onboard audio. I kept getting electrical interence noise at low volume. Happened with multiple builds though much more noticable with better quality headphones. I found that the Xonar DX didn't actually get rid of the noise at all, although I did get directional sound and slightly improved audio when at volume. I moved to the DSS2 and everything is now crystal clear. Directional sound in games is less pronounced than with the Xonar DX, though seemingly more natural. Much better in movies and games when hearing headphones. I don't run separate speakers so I can't comment on that.

I have noticed that some sounds sound a little flatter than with the Xonar DX however the overall experience is much improved. I did find however that if I used the plugged the USB connector used for power into my system the electrical interference noise came back, though less distinct than with the Xonar DX. I had a spare AC adapter to USB power connector lying around and plugged it into that. Things are now perfect.
What you've got there is rubbish cables. Let me guess; with the soundcard you were using RCA/3.5mm/1/4" jacks? The interference is caused by poor quality cables.

What you want is a good soundcard with optical out, if you want interference-free quality. Cable length, quality and shielding are BIG factors with analogue cables.

Optical doesn't have these problems, but then, if you use anything that runs off the onboard audio, you're limited by the quality of the board's audio - which is, with some VERY rare exceptions, always crap.

EDIT: It also sounds like your USB connectors aren't grounded correctly, since the USB connection caused buzzing.

__________________
i7 2600k @4.5GHz, NH-D14
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
G.Skill 8GB RipjawsX @1600
EVGA 680 Signature+ SC
Antec Quattro 1000
Silverstone AP141s
WreckWren is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 09:32 PM   #15
mjw21a

 
mjw21a's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Brisbane

 
The slight budding noise persisted through 2x mainboard changes, 3x case changes, 3x psu changes, 2x soundcard changes and 3x headset changes which leads me to believe its a common issue. The only thing got rid of this is going to the DSS2.

__________________
CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 09:39 PM   #16
WreckWren
Registered

 
WreckWren's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw21a View Post
The slight budding noise persisted through 2x mainboard changes, 3x case changes, 3x psu changes, 2x soundcard changes and 3x headset changes which leads me to believe its a common issue. The only thing got rid of this is going to the DSS2.
So it was your cables.

If you've ever fiddled with a PA system or guitar amp, you'd know how much of a difference a good or bad cable makes.


Sorry for jacking the thread OP.

I bet you the buzzing went away when you switched to the optical cable. Amirite?

This is because an optical cable's quality doesn't really affect the quality of the sound. It's a digital cable.

__________________
i7 2600k @4.5GHz, NH-D14
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
G.Skill 8GB RipjawsX @1600
EVGA 680 Signature+ SC
Antec Quattro 1000
Silverstone AP141s

Last edited by WreckWren; 04-23-12 at 09:59 PM.
WreckWren is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-12, 10:20 PM   #17
mjw21a

 
mjw21a's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Brisbane

 
If it were cable quality then surely changing between different headphones/headsets would have made a difference? I'd even tried Sennheiser headphones on it, both front audio and rear was the same

__________________
CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
Audio: Asus Xonar DX, Senheiser CX270 earbuds + UltraDisk 4016 Condenser Lavelier Microphone
Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum
My rig piccies & links

"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." H.L. MENCKEN
mjw21a is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 08:34 AM   #18
WreckWren
Registered

 
WreckWren's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw21a View Post
If it were cable quality then surely changing between different headphones/headsets would have made a difference? I'd even tried Sennheiser headphones on it, both front audio and rear was the same
Not necessarily. There is always a buzz with analogue cables carrying an analogue connection. There are analogue cables that carry a digital connection, and these don't suffer from the same problems ( DVI, HDMI etc).

It's like component cables vs DVI/HDMI. Digital connection vs. analogue.

You always get some noise problems with component cables, and the worse they are the more pronounced the problem is. This is only completely alleviated by going to a digital signal. Lots of headsets (especially the cheaper ones) include sub-par cables. Of course, grounding can be a contributing factor, along with what cables/devices are right next to the cables.

Of course you didn't get the noise when you switched to optical, it's a digital signal AND cable! There are no noise problems with a digital signal.

Headsets can be supplied with pretty basic cables. Of course, having a headphone amp (like most soundcards have) is helpful to eliminate this - active systems can help, too. But the best way to eliminate noise like that is to go digital.

So if you want high-quality audio with no noise, you get a real sound card with digital out, then get a good receiver & speakers! Anything that you plug into the onboard audio is just a placebo effect - and lots of companies are getting away with the scam of "virtual surround" and "upmixing"/"improved quality", when really these systems just use NR/EQ/more severe panning to trick people who don't know better into a sale of a (mostly) useless product.

__________________
i7 2600k @4.5GHz, NH-D14
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
G.Skill 8GB RipjawsX @1600
EVGA 680 Signature+ SC
Antec Quattro 1000
Silverstone AP141s
WreckWren is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 08:41 AM   #19
Horrerblade

 
Horrerblade's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Richardson, Texas

 
^seems to get WAY TO off from the OP and seeming to get hostile come on guys calm down

__________________
Main Rig:
Cpu: i5-3570k 4.4 @ 1.36 Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Ram: 8GB 1600 mhz G. Skill ram GPU: MSI Twin Frozer 7950 HDD: 2 Raid 0X320 gb 7200rpm 1X2tb 5900rpm SSD: 128gb Crucial M4 Dvd: Blue Ray Super Drive Case: Corsair 300r HSF: Hyper 212+ (P/P) PSU: OCZ ZT 650 Watt psu Monitors: 23" LG IPS 1080p 20.6" LG LCD 1680X1050

Lenovo Y510P:
Cpu: i7 4700MQ Ram: 8GB 1600 mhz GPU: SLI 755m HDD: 1tb 5400 RPM SSD: 8gb MSSD (ISRT)

A relationship with a moderator is no different than one with a woman. If you start doing stuff and treating them nice, they develop expectations. It's all down hill from there.-I.M.O.G
Horrerblade is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 08:47 AM   #20
WreckWren
Registered

 
WreckWren's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

 
Yeah sorry again to OP for jacking the thread, just didn't want to see someone else get sucked in by this upmixer stuff. Think I explained pretty well why it's not worth it.


Btw sorry if I sounded hostile, that wasn't my intention.

__________________
i7 2600k @4.5GHz, NH-D14
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
G.Skill 8GB RipjawsX @1600
EVGA 680 Signature+ SC
Antec Quattro 1000
Silverstone AP141s
WreckWren is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Mobile Skin
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
You can add these icons by updating your profile information to include your Heatware ID, Benching Profile ID or your Folding/SETI profile ID. Edit your profile!
X

Welcome to Overclockers.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this the best community on the Internet since 1998!


(4 digit year)

Why Join Us?

  • Share experience
  • Max out your hardware
  • Best forum members anywhere
  • Customized forum experience

Already a member?