Old 04-24-12, 08:53 AM   #101
fall

Great review!

I think i will stick with my 2600k for the mean time and just get a Z77 board

Old 04-24-12, 08:59 AM   #102
diaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman99 View Post
Thats incorrect IB at 4.8GHz oc is 277 watts load and stock it's 134W load. My SB at 4.8GHz is 233 watts.
Yeah.. all bets are off when you crank the voltage on IB though.. out of curiosity, whats the power consumption on a similar clocked SB?

EVGA GTX 680

Asus Maximus V Gene mATX
Silverstone TJ08E mATX
16G Corsair Vengeance
Corsair H80

Silverstone Strider Plus 850
Crucial M4 256G SSD // Seagate 750G 7200.12 Storage

Recommended PSU's - True/Tested/***/Intel C2D/Q/X Thermal Designs Explained
Heatware
diaz is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 09:10 AM   #103
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall
I think i will stick with my 2600k for the mean time and just get a Z77 board
I have to ask, knowing what Z77 brings to the table, what would compel you to get rid of your current board?

Quote:
Thats incorrect IB at 4.8GHz oc is 277 watts load and stock it's 134W load. My SB at 4.8GHz is 233 watts.
Well, the problem is you are comparing two different systems... mobo's, ram, hdd, etc. So though it may not make up the difference, its tough to compare non like systems and come to a conclusion. That and, he mentioned stock you go to overclocked to prove your point... LOL!

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 09:11 AM   #104
Badbonji

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander89 View Post
Eh? how will this chip cool your room down XD. If anything your rads are going to giving off alot more heat!
The IB CPU will use a lot less power than my Core i7 965 - the first gen was pretty power hungry, let alone when overclocked. Sure the temperature of the die will be hotter, that is just because it is higher density.

Badbonji is offline Benching Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 09:43 AM   #105
xander89

so if Intel actually sorted out the heat transfer between the actual chip/ lid the heat issues wouldnt be anywhere near as bad? Or is it down to the cip being so much smaller?

sorry for the crude questions. Its just its weird to think that a processor roasting at 80+ c would give off less heat than the 50c processor. But as it was mentioned IB uses even more W's when OC'd. Slightly cofused :P

Ah ok bad bonj. Thought you were on the Sb for some reason :S

Mobo:asus z68 gen 3
RAM:16GB ddr3 dual channel (1866mhz)
CPU:Intel® Core™ i7 2700k@ 5ghz 1.45v (watercooled)
GFX card: GTX 780 @ 1228 mhz core boost, memory 6600mhz (watercooled)
PSU:ZM850-HP
HDD: Primary: SSD, corsair force 3 120GB, Storage:750GB Seagate ( 7,2000 rpm 32mb cache)
Case:Corsair 800d
xander89 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 09:49 AM   #106
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Quote:
so if Intel actually sorted out the heat transfer between the actual chip/ lid the heat issues wouldnt be anywhere near as bad?
We don't know yet how they are adhering the heatspreader to the chip. They could be using the soldering method they've used on more recent chips, or they may have gone back to a more traditional TIM. The only picture I've seen of a delidded IB chip did not appear to be soldered on... If it isn't soldered, part of the temperature problem when overclocked is VERY LIKELY due to the interface between IHS and die.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 09:58 AM   #107
xander89

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
We don't know yet how they are adhering the heatspreader to the chip. They could be using the soldering method they've used on more recent chips, or they may have gone back to a more traditional TIM. The only picture I've seen of a delidded IB chip did not appear to be soldered on... If it isn't soldered, part of the temperature problem when overclocked is VERY LIKELY due to the interface between IHS and die.
yer thats what i saw, the delidded processor looked totally freee of solder. Seems a bit illogical not to solder it :S reasons?

Mobo:asus z68 gen 3
RAM:16GB ddr3 dual channel (1866mhz)
CPU:Intel® Core™ i7 2700k@ 5ghz 1.45v (watercooled)
GFX card: GTX 780 @ 1228 mhz core boost, memory 6600mhz (watercooled)
PSU:ZM850-HP
HDD: Primary: SSD, corsair force 3 120GB, Storage:750GB Seagate ( 7,2000 rpm 32mb cache)
Case:Corsair 800d
xander89 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 10:04 AM   #108
diaz

Quote:
so if Intel actually sorted out the heat transfer between the actual chip/ lid the heat issues wouldnt be anywhere near as bad? Or is it down to the cip being so much smaller?

sorry for the crude questions. Its just its weird to think that a processor roasting at 80+ c would give off less heat than the 50c processor. But as it was mentioned IB uses even more W's when OC'd. Slightly cofused :P

Ah ok bad bonj. Thought you were on the Sb for some reason :S
A lower temp on SB only means a more efficient heat transfer to the cooling solution. IB is getting hotter simply because the heat transfer isnt as efficient. As mentionned, this could be because of a TIM on the ISH instead of solder, or because of the power is concentrated on an even smaller area - or a combination of both. In both situations, it is more difficult to rid the chip of heat since the heat is both very concentrated in a pin-sized area, and there is a TIM gap preventing efficient transfer.. in addition to the other TIM used by the cooler.

EVGA GTX 680

Asus Maximus V Gene mATX
Silverstone TJ08E mATX
16G Corsair Vengeance
Corsair H80

Heatware
Old 04-24-12, 10:05 AM   #109
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with I.M.O.G. about this. If they aren't doing the flusless bonding process between the IHS and processor die, then you will have severe problems getting the heat to transfer to the heatsink because the traditional (and old fashioned and cheap) TIM process is much less efficient. I have also seen that several reviews have given the processor die a size of 160 mm˛ as compared to the SB having a die size of 216 mm˛. If Intel is still actually using the fluxless soldering bonding process, then we are seeing power density problems such as Intel started having back in the day of single core P4 days.
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
diaz (04-24-12)
Old 04-24-12, 10:09 AM   #110
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

I'm trying to get an answer from Intel about the thermal interface question. I'll share that info if I get it.

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
diaz (04-24-12), manu2b (04-24-12), muddocktor (04-24-12), rge (04-24-12), wingman99 (04-24-12)
Old 04-24-12, 11:08 AM   #111
PanteraGSTK

10 Year Badge

Fantastic review. Coming from the system in my sig IB is obviously a good upgrade. I plan to OC to ~4.5ghz depending on temp. The higher temps with IB have me wondering what cooler will be needed to keep things in check. Do I grab one of the new Corsair all-in-one water cooling units, or a gigantic air cooler. I'm used to the big air coolers, but I'd like my cpu to last a while.

Thoughts?

EVGA 750i SLI FTW, Q6600 @ 3200mhz 1.325v, vdroop mod, Kingston pc8500 4gb, 2x 8800GT in SLI, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB,WD 320GB for games, Xclio 650w psu, Scythe Infinity 2X Kingwin 80cfm 120mm fans, X-fi xtreme gamer, Windows 7 Ultimate

Bill Gates over heard saying "If i had a penny for every time Windows Crashed... Oh wait, I do."
PanteraGSTK is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 11:20 AM   #112
fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
I have to ask, knowing what Z77 brings to the table, what would compel you to get rid of your current board?
Boot loop issues (thought i fixed but didnt), Resets Cmos on reboot

but aside from actual issues I would like a smaller foot print now as I barely use the power I have.

Old 04-24-12, 11:20 AM   #113
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

I'd say a Noctua NH-D14 would be great on these if you want a solid air cooler. If you want water, I'd get something with a dual radiator (H100), custom water loop or not waste your time with water. The single-rad coolers are, for the most part, no better than you can get with a top-end air cooler.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 12:24 PM   #114
Owenator
Senior Internet Fart

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with I.M.O.G. about this. If they aren't doing the flusless bonding process between the IHS and processor die, then you will have severe problems getting the heat to transfer to the heatsink because the traditional (and old fashioned and cheap) TIM process is much less efficient. I have also seen that several reviews have given the processor die a size of 160 mm˛ as compared to the SB having a die size of 216 mm˛. If Intel is still actually using the fluxless soldering bonding process, then we are seeing power density problems such as Intel started having back in the day of single core P4 days.
Power density is exactly what I was thinking! It's funny how technology repeats itself.

As far as TIM vs solder, I would think that solder - a metal - is better than a non-metal TIM. I wonder if they did this on all chips or maybe just the demo's. Are they really exactly the same as the production versions? Or are they one offs made up just for demo's. That may be why the one the guy opened up had a TIM and not solder. I think that is what IMOG is going to ask Intel to find out.

System: ASRock P67 Extreme6, i7-2600k @ 4.6 GHz, 16GiB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Galaxy GTX 570 & EVGA GTX570 in SLI @ stock, 120GB Corsair F120 SSD for Win 7 Pro x64, WD Caviar Black 1 TB for everything else, Lite-On Dual layer DVDRW, Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W PSU, CM690 II advanced case.
Accessories: ACER 23" WS LCD + ACER 21" WS for web/TS/etc. DIY 4-way monitor stand. Logitech G35 headset, Idelazon Fang keypad, Logitech G9 mouse, Zalman FPS Gun mouse, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, momo racing wheel w/ pedals.
Water Cooling : Replumbed to one single loop. Apogee GTZ CPU block, MCR220 w/ 2x Panaflo 120x38 'M's, MCR220 w/ 2x Panaflo 120x38 'H's, MCP350 w/ bored over Alphacoool top. MCP220 drive with second MCP350 in series w/first. 2x MCW60 GPU blocks Temps: TBD

Blackbelt Ubercloxx0r My Current Rig My First WC Rig DIY Nvidia Surround Setup

Owenator is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 12:30 PM   #115
PanteraGSTK

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
I'd say a Noctua NH-D14 would be great on these if you want a solid air cooler. If you want water, I'd get something with a dual radiator (H100), custom water loop or not waste your time with water. The single-rad coolers are, for the most part, no better than you can get with a top-end air cooler.
That was my thinking as well. Thanks. I'm going to end up waiting for a new revision. Not in too much of a hurry to upgrade at this point. I'm willing to bet we'll have another G0 like revision on our hands once they figure a few things out.

EVGA 750i SLI FTW, Q6600 @ 3200mhz 1.325v, vdroop mod, Kingston pc8500 4gb, 2x 8800GT in SLI, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB,WD 320GB for games, Xclio 650w psu, Scythe Infinity 2X Kingwin 80cfm 120mm fans, X-fi xtreme gamer, Windows 7 Ultimate

Bill Gates over heard saying "If i had a penny for every time Windows Crashed... Oh wait, I do."
PanteraGSTK is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 01:36 PM   #116
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Got my answer back from Intel... It isn't solder or TIM!

It is, and I quote, "secret sauce".

I urge you to go out and hound anyone with a dead Ivy Bridge, get them to delid (if its already dead a hammer and a screwdriver works well), and please report back with the findings... I'll write you personalized and deeply heartfelt love letters if your findings also include pictures posted here.

Thanks!
diaz (04-24-12)
Old 04-24-12, 01:39 PM   #117
diaz

Quote:

I urge you to go out and hound anyone with a dead Ivy Bridge, get them to delid (if its already dead a hammer and a screwdriver works well), and please report back with the findings... I'll write you personalized and deeply heartfelt love letters if your findings also include pictures posted here.
LOL !! Secret sauce = TIM as far as im concerned..

EVGA GTX 680

Asus Maximus V Gene mATX
Silverstone TJ08E mATX
16G Corsair Vengeance
Corsair H80

Heatware
Old 04-24-12, 01:45 PM   #118
Janus67
Benching Team Leader
Grabbed Senior

SIM
TILDER

What is it?!

Folding User Stats Folding User Stats
Janus67 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 01:46 PM   #119
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

Quote:

This really makes me want to delid one, I've always dreamed of heartfelt love letters from glorious leader...

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (98-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 01:53 PM   #120
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

I'll torture our ES and delid it if you'll buy me a retail. It is for science after all!

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs