Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

DuckDuckGo is Going Big

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 04:41 PM Thread Starter   #1
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

DuckDuckGo is Going Big

Anyone here using DuckDuckGo to search? They don't track anything the way google does and thats basically their selling point... You don't get personalized results. They make money by getting commissions if you go anywhere and shop through their site, so they also don't have ads in the search results.

They aren't huge by any means (they do far less queries a day than google or bing), but the amount of attention they are drawing is growing very quickly:
http://trends.google.com/websites?q=...ate=all&sort=0

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-11-12, 09:59 PM   #2
kyij

.... Google analytics....

Laptop: Toshiba l655 | i3-2310 | 1*4GB DDR3 | 15" LED | 10hr battery life
Home-PC: to be updated..
HTPC: To be updated..
Tablet: iPad 1st Gen, 64GB..
Phone: Verizon Droid DNA |
kyij is offline Benching Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-11-12, 10:05 PM Thread Starter   #3
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

They actually also strip off your search keywords when you click a search result... So sites don't get your keyword info when you get to the destination.

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-11-12, 10:13 PM   #4
turbohans

I do like it when I feel the results from a search are less biased to promoted sites. And while I have not heard of DuckDuckGo yet I have been using YaCy.(http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=703555)
Running it on my own server makes me feel a lot less like somebody is influencing my results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyij View Post
.... Google analytics....
Piwik

And if you think about it too hard you will wonder why you did.
Build your computer Overclock it! find a cure.
Don't like looking out dirty windows? Live life without walls; Learn how to build an operating system
F@H - ExtremeOC
turbohans is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-11-12, 10:16 PM   #5
Neuromancer

Thanks for the heads up

Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me
Neuromancer is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-11-12, 10:59 PM Thread Starter   #6
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

DuckDuckGo propaganda/promotion pages, which give you some useful information about their pitch:
http://donttrack.us/
http://dontbubble.us/

Old 04-14-12, 03:18 PM   #7
kyij

When I replied to this, I had not realized it, but when I select words, I have an option to search different engines. One is obviously Google, but the other was DuckDuckGo... Didn't even know, just saw a ducks face.

Laptop: Toshiba l655 | i3-2310 | 1*4GB DDR3 | 15" LED | 10hr battery life
Home-PC: to be updated..
HTPC: To be updated..
Tablet: iPad 1st Gen, 64GB..
Phone: Verizon Droid DNA |
kyij is offline Benching Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-12, 11:57 PM   #8
turbohans

Seems DuckDuckGo is an "open source" project also. https://github.com/duckduckgo
Very interesting!

Don't like looking out dirty windows? Live life without walls; Learn how to build an operating system
F@H - ExtremeOC
Old 04-23-12, 05:54 AM   #9
jazon1

i was using yauba.com for awhile but they started to get popular and i dont think they could handle the traffic they were starting to get its been saying there migrating for a long time now,they were pretty good before that tho.now im using http://blekko.com i really cant stand the direction this country is headed as far as our privacy is concerned our government and the people who line there pockets wont be happy til they know how many squares of toilet paper i use to wipe my ass.

Psu----Corsair AX1200
Mobo---ASUS Sabertooth X79
Ram----32 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Sound--Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty
Hdd----Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD + 8TB External
Bluray-LG 3D 12x W/MDISC
Video--Evga GTX 680 SC Signature
Monitor-Samsung 46"3D LED-UN46C8000XF
OS-----Windows 7 x64 Ult
jazon1 is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 06:44 PM   #10
Neuromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazon1 View Post
til they know how many squares of toilet paper i use to wipe my ass.
Depends on the brand. for me

Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me
Old 04-24-12, 06:56 PM Thread Starter   #11
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Google giveth, and Google taketh away... Looks like Google doesn't like us this month!

For the keywords "i7 3770k", "3770k", and "3770k review", our big article is no where to be found on the Google in the top 10 pages (I did find our submission to Digg with our articles name, as well as a forum thread from here). That despite our article being linked on the frontpage of Slashdot.org and being linked well from various other sites and social media.

Yet on Duckduckgo, we are ranked in the top 5 for all 3 keywords:
http://duckduckgo.com/?q=i7+3770k
http://duckduckgo.com/?q=3770k
http://duckduckgo.com/?q=3770k+review

One day Google is dumping buckets of traffic on us, the next day they black ball one of our articles. Go figure - no logic in it.

Old 04-24-12, 08:25 PM   #12
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

That's what happens when you let algorithms and formulas decide on stuff like that... It is the only practical way of doing it though as having people manually rank every page of every site would take the population of earth and then some.

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Seebs is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 08:32 PM   #13
wagex
Premium Member #13

google schmoogle ;D

8gb gskill 2x4 1600 --------4x4gb samsung ddr2 ECC -----------2x2b ddr3 1600
xfx r9-280x black ----------------- onboard -----------------------------------HD 5450
corsair hx850-------------------------antec vp-450----------------------------------275w came with case
custom loop --------------------------socket f 2u passive ---------------------xigmatek durin
win 7x64------------------------------server 2012 r2 datacenter--------------win 7 64 bit
steam user name : Wagex (you happy bro?) HEAT
"You can't get magical Harry Potter temps with big overclocks, PHYSICS has a lot to do with it." -conumdrum
wagex is online now Benching Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-28-12, 01:56 AM   #14
turbohans

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx View Post
That's what happens when you let algorithms and formulas decide on stuff like that... It is the only practical way of doing it though as having people manually rank every page of every site would take the population of earth and then some.
Google does their "Page Rank" updates every once in a while, the last update they goofed up .
http://searchengineland.com/dropped-...domains-118979
My blog lost some rank due to that.

It actually is a way that Google, Alexa, Bing, and other collect data from willing users though, and you all should already know. *big pause* Toolbars! Cookie tracking evil things they are,, they give the best data.
Problem with that though is the nightmare IE creates with toolbars....

With Chrome though toolbars are nothing.
Attached Images

F@H - ExtremeOC
Old 04-28-12, 12:14 PM   #15
johan851
Insatiably Malcontent

10 Year Badge

Quote:
And DuckDuckGo is using a formula too. We just happen to like what it decided about Overclockers more.

Dual Dell 2007WFP | Watercooled
johan851 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-28-12, 09:21 PM   #16
turbohans

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan851 View Post
And DuckDuckGo is using a formula too. We just happen to like what it decided about Overclockers more.
I agree!

I can't really blame the update for my blog though, I hardly ever post on it and when they did their update I had some htaccess issues. No big deal.

Search engines are still in need of a lot evolution, with the web growing at the rate it is and ethics expected of engines it will be a long time if ever before they are perfect. There is still a lot of things that have not even been thought of yet though that may come into play though.

F@H - ExtremeOC
Old 05-07-12, 02:31 AM   #17
Neuromancer

Well duckduckgo is not going big

Sorry Matt, it would be nice, they do everything right. Just there is a better reason to block all google cookies and keep using google.

Why?

5 laws of sentience.

Like google it wants to correct my spelling. instead of telling me, it just does it and "asks what Imean"/ No option at all for sentience, it only wants to give me grammar lessons.

Thats not the first thing, it is the last though. Not like I was using made up words before.

Besides that, anytime I cant find something on DDG, I go to google and what do I see, first link or maybe second. I have gotten very good at dialing down through all hte SEO crap over the years, so EVEN if I get a bunch of non-compliant results from advertisers playing the search engine games its pretty easy to shed them with a -keyword. Depends over the years, was -buy then -purchase - annual whatever works currently I have not hit them too often anymore since I have gotten good at dialing in my searches specifically

Real world queries help.

DDG does not work like that. they are the google of yesteryear but without hte groundbreaking search algorithim

If you want to stay private online these days, just stay off the ****ing internet. It is not only easier but the only true way. since your ISP tracks everything.

use other peoples computers/internet if you want to really be private. Just dont do it more than once

borrow your neighbors wifi, if its WPA encoded it is their house phone number. 10 digits afterall

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.