Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

Gateway proprietary heatsink P4 775

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 10:03 PM Thread Starter   #1
DocClock aka MadClocker

10 Year Badge

Gateway proprietary heatsink P4 775

Hello all, I recently thought I got a real deal when I found a lga775 mainboard with ddr2, pci-e, and two ide ports along with the 4 sata ports...sounds real good except that it had some proprietary heatsink because a regular P4 heatsink will not fit.

Also I do not know what gateway model this board came from. It is an MSI MS-7248 with an ATI chipset.
From the looks of it, it would seem that the original is twice as wide as a normal heatsink...meaning that the holes are 11mm from one end and 7 1/2 mm on the other....so the heatsink is not square or round but elongated. Sorry frustration clouds the mind, so I hope this post makes sense, and someone will have some knowledge on this setup.

One other oddity is that the pci slots are where the kb/mouse ports should be, so it will not fit a generic case.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I need the heatsink for this thingy and that is why I need the model number of the gateway unit it came from. end edit:

I am perfectly willing to build a wooden case for it if need be, but I cannot boot this rig without a heatsink.
I would really like to make this thing work, so any info you can provide or point me to, I will be eternally grateful.

Edit again...I did some digging and realized that the board is a BTX mainboard and I found a few Gateway heatsinks, but I'm concerned because the holes on one end (of the board) go past a few components that are about 1mm tall. Is this an issue I should be worried about?
So much for building a rig on the cheap. The sad thing is that I have the ram, video and a P4 640 rated at 3.2ghz which would be a real improvement over my overclocked PIII 850@1.13ghz

Thanks in advance,
Doc

Cpu----Q6600(slacr)GO stepping @3006,1.310vcore
Cooling----AC Freezer 7 Pro
Mobo----GA-P35C-DS3R
Ram----Kingston HX PC9200 CL5@501mhz 1.9v4-4-4-11
Video card----EVGA 8600GT 604core,803mem
Power----Hipro HP-W700WC3 700w Big and heavy
Generic white case

Frankenputer-- Abit SH6>PIII700E@1136>mushkin PC150>Enermax 431 -450w>SBlive! XGamer> Alpha P3S cooler

Last edited by DocClock aka MadClocker; 05-02-12 at 10:26 PM.
DocClock aka MadClocker is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 05-02-12, 10:09 PM   #2
woboy

Is this a BTX motherboard instead of an ATX?
It would explain expansion slot placement and a different heat sink?

If the CPU mounts near the opposite edge from the I/O section and is positioned at a 45 degree angle, IE it looks like a diamond shape compared to the board edges, it could be BTX.
Last BTX were 2006, according to article I found.

Last edited by woboy; 05-02-12 at 10:23 PM.
woboy is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-02-12, 10:29 PM   #3
petteyg359
Likes Popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/MSI/WMEMS-7248/WMEMS-7248sp2.shtml
Form Factor Micro BTX
Heatsink: http://www.ebay.com/itm/S775-FANSINK...480#vi-content

[GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
"Apparently, Plaintiff believes that he could sue an egg company for fraud for labeling a carton of 12 eggs a “dozen,” because some bakers would view a “dozen” as including 13 items." - Western Digital 2006
Folding User Stats
petteyg359 is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-03-12, 02:14 PM Thread Starter   #4
DocClock aka MadClocker

10 Year Badge

Yes it is a BTX board...I found out through some research on my own
I was a bit concerned about the placement of a few components between the cpu socket and the mounting holes...OK now that it is semi clear in my head,
My next concern is will I need a special motherboard tray, or does the heatsink mount to the board?
I do not have a BTX case and was thinking about making one out of wood.
Too bad there are no aftermarket performance heatsinks for these systems.
Thanks for the link...the heatsink shown seems to be the one for my setup...but I will wait for some answers b4 I pull the trigger (buy it)
Thanks again,
Doc

Cpu----Q6600(slacr)GO stepping @3006,1.310vcore
Cooling----AC Freezer 7 Pro
Mobo----GA-P35C-DS3R
Ram----Kingston HX PC9200 CL5@501mhz 1.9v4-4-4-11
Video card----EVGA 8600GT 604core,803mem
Power----Hipro HP-W700WC3 700w Big and heavy
Generic white case

Frankenputer-- Abit SH6>PIII700E@1136>mushkin PC150>Enermax 431 -450w>SBlive! XGamer> Alpha P3S cooler
DocClock aka MadClocker is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-04-12, 07:49 PM   #5
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

Doc, you have to have a btx case to use that board. I threw away a Gateway BTX case literally just last night. My daughter's boyfriend brought over an old Gateway his Dad gave him to get looked at and I found that the mobo had some popped caps (AMD board at that in micro BTX format ) and I was going to use the case for a quickie and cheap build for him, until I set a standard mATX board inside the case. There is no way to make a standard board work in a BTX case or vice versa.
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-05-12, 07:23 AM   #6
woboy

A wood case will work, note BTX was designed for increased cooling over ATX without adding case fans, see airflow arrangements or just add some cheap fans (Yate Loon?) to the build.
Power supply may be a problem though. This I do not know.
woboy is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-05-12, 09:27 AM   #7
Bobnova
Innocent Senior Member

Stock AMD heatpipe heatsinks mount to Intel stuff pretty nicely with zip ties, I've done that in the past

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

Heatware.
Bobnova is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards