Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > AMD CPUs
AMD CPUs
Forum Jump

Bit the bullet ..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 09:43 AM Thread Starter   #1
Metallica

Bit the bullet ..

After being out gaming for a while, and after playing Diablo 3 beta .. I've decided I wanted to a new machine to run these games a bit better than my laptop. Nothing fancy, just enough to not have to run everything on low and still get lame framerates.

Check this out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.904613

I picked this up, along with an HD6870 and a 128gb Crucial m4. How did I do? I was wanting to go with an i5, but I just couldn't justify spending the extra cash, as I don't really game much anyways. This will probably be used as an HTPC more than anything.
Metallica is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-04-12, 12:32 PM   #2
RGone
Senior DFI Staff

Most of us assemble our own but that is likely a fair kit for you and far better than a laptop for more off than on gaming. Good luck with assembly and IF it were me I would assemble and load drivers and so forth and then run Prime95 "blend test" for at least two hours to test for stability before installing all my games and other applications. No sense experiencing teething crashes during early use with a bunch of apps that could experience minor corruption due early crashes. Test before load up is just a sensible process on the setup and get running procedure.

A case that small and with a stock cpu cooler is NOT and likely never will be a very good overclocker but the processor itself has TurboCore and will up the cpu speed by itself depending on load on the cpu. Just know what you bought is not designed as a 'whole' for overclocking.

MEMORY > Manufacturer & P/N & Size.
POWER SUPPLY > Manufacturer & Wattage.
VIDEO CARD > Make/Model/How Many.
HDDs/Optical drives > How Many? SSD? Raid/No Raid?
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard or Add-in?
USB > Usb Devices Plugged to Mobo?
O/S > Win? SP? Linux?
Case > Brand/Model/Fans Installed?
Institute of Level Headed Over Clockers
RGone is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-04-12, 12:56 PM Thread Starter   #3
Metallica

I don't know how I ended up putting this in the amd section, this should be in the general section. My bad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGone View Post
Most of us assemble our own but that is likely a fair kit for you and far better than a laptop for more off than on gaming. Good luck with assembly and IF it were me I would assemble and load drivers and so forth and then run Prime95 "blend test" for at least two hours to test for stability before installing all my games and other applications. No sense experiencing teething crashes during early use with a bunch of apps that could experience minor corruption due early crashes. Test before load up is just a sensible process on the setup and get running procedure.

A case that small and with a stock cpu cooler is NOT and likely never will be a very good overclocker but the processor itself has TurboCore and will up the cpu speed by itself depending on load on the cpu. Just know what you bought is not designed as a 'whole' for overclocking.
I just wanted the cheapest build possible that will still play new games decently. Not really interested in overclocking atm. And I really wanted a good solid state. I've actually changed the setup a bit since the order had some issues with financing.

The new build is similar, but with an i3 2100.

CPU: I3 2100
MOBO:BIOSTAR B75MU3+
PSU:COOLER MASTER RS500
RAM: PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB)
SSD: Crucial M4 2.5" 128GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 750GB
GPU: XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870
And some generic cheap/free shipping case ;d

Last edited by Metallica; 05-04-12 at 01:04 PM.
Metallica is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > AMD CPUs
AMD CPUs