Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray
Forum Jump

Blank (virgin) HDD's; are any preformatted?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 06:59 AM Thread Starter   #1
videobruce

Blank (virgin) HDD's; are any preformatted?

I have always been under the impression new hard drives (not SSD's) are not formatted. Low level, yes, but not for ant file system (FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3 etc.) It was up to the user to prepare the drive.

I got into a discussion with an "engineer" from a small CE manufacture regarding DVR's and he is/was under the impression new drives were already formatted. I explained how could be since there isn't any way the manufacture would/could know how/where the drive was going to be used.

I did a little searching and came across this article;
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...al-hard-drive/

and this statement;
Quote:
Most new external hard drives available in the market are designed to be plug and play. By plug and play, what I mean is that you can just plug in the hard drive and start using it right away. This is because the manufacturers send the disk initialised and ready to work with the most common operating systems.
The internal hard disks available in the market, on the other hand, require to be prepared before use.
"External" hard drives?? The only t
"external" thing I know is an external enclosure.

Am I missing something here?? Has something changed in the past five or so years??

Old 05-04-12, 04:25 PM   #2
fall

Google external harddrive

but essitially an external hard drive is a internal hardrive in an enclosure (I think the enclosure converts SATA to USB) than you can plug in to your computer and use for backups or data storage. Most use USB or firewire connections so they are able to be plugged in and ready to go right there with no partitioning/formatting needed on the user side. Albeit a bit slow in the transfer rate, they are great things to have if you say want to load important docs, pictures, receipts, etc. to put in a safety deposit box or something.

but yes, Internal drive are RAW drives.

Old 05-04-12, 06:03 PM Thread Starter   #3
videobruce

Quote:
but essitially an external hard drive is a internal hardrive in an enclosure
But, that isn't what the phase says.

Confusing and just inaccurate. But then again, it's the CEA.

Old 05-04-12, 06:08 PM   #4
petteyg359
Likes Popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall View Post
but essitially an external hard drive is a internal hardrive in an enclosure
Please don't abuse the terms "internal" and "external" with relation to the drive. The terms say nothing about the drive itself. They only designate its placement relative to the primary system case.

[GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
"Apparently, Plaintiff believes that he could sue an egg company for fraud for labeling a carton of 12 eggs a “dozen,” because some bakers would view a “dozen” as including 13 items." - Western Digital 2006
Folding User Stats
petteyg359 is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-04-12, 06:16 PM Thread Starter   #5
videobruce

That hits the nail on the head. Abusing those terms w/o the word enclosure included.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray