Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray
Forum Jump

NAS for storage, streaming & hosting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 09:14 AM Thread Starter   #1
Lyian

NAS for storage, streaming, hosting & Routing!

I've read over another NAS thread of someone who was looking for a 4 bay.

I'm only needing a 2 bay system myself. (haven't decided if i would raid for backup or not yet) What I would like for it to do, (aside from 'as much as possible') is the following..

* Price (dont want to go much over $300. Anything over that it starts to become more feasible to just build a mini computer to do the same work)
* File Sharing (dua)
* Streaming (to other devices such as game consoles and mobile devices)
* FTP (like to be able to send/retrieve information remotely like from work)
* Printer sharing (this is becoming less of an issue. I currently do not have a printer, and most newer ones have networking built in, but i would be nice to have this option just in case)
* Web hosting (this isnt a must, but it would be nice if i could host a website within it that could run SQL and such.
* Serving - ( i would LOVE it if i could host servers on this thing. Such as Vent or Teamspeak. Not sure if the Nas' are that utilitarian or not, but it would be nice.

The two models im looking at are as follows. Outlined by what I see are differences.

Synology DS212
- Supports USB 3.0

QNAP TS-219PII-US
- Faster Processor
- More memory

It would seem, overall that the QNap would perform better, but i know little about Qnap hardware.

Can anyone provide insight to these, or other NAS systems that might fit the bill?

Video & Audio: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card (picking up a 2nd for x-fire later on)
Case & PSU: Coolermaster HAF x w/ Corsair Gold AX850
Display: Dell u2410 + 2x Dell u2412m's + 1 Hans-G HW191D
Input: Logitech G110 Keyboard / Logitech G700 Mouse & Zboard Fang
Windows 7 Ent x64

Last edited by Lyian; 05-08-12 at 02:51 PM. Reason: New questions and info
Lyian is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-25-12, 04:49 PM   #2
Adragontattoo
Trailer Chasing Senior

Location: Northwestern corner of Va. USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol Sector, outer arm of spiral galaxy

I have a homebuilt 20 drive NAS and I STILL keep looking at the QNAPs..

It depends honestly on what you are willing to sacrifice. time? DIY. $$? Premade.

Classies Rules and Regs
Prices, slashes and edits
Quality over Quantity Pictures are NOT req.
Adopt an animal if you want one, dont use a breeder!
Adragontattoo is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-25-12, 08:54 PM   #3
freakdiablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adragontattoo View Post
I have a homebuilt 20 drive NAS and I STILL keep looking at the QNAPs..

It depends honestly on what you are willing to sacrifice. time? DIY. $$? Premade.
Have to agree with Adragontattoo. The QNAP looks good, but it comes down to how much effort you want to put into it. A small Atom build running FreeNAS will not only fall well within your budget, but will allow you to expand in the future if needed.

But if you insist on getting a small premade NAS, it may depend more on what/how hard you use it. The way I understand it, if only a few people are using it, you don't need much processing power or ram usage. I can be streaming a bluray rip from my NAS while backing up other files to it and not notice any real slowdown, and that's with using onboard RAID5.

Main: MOBO: MSI P67A-G45, CPU: i7 2600k w/ VenX (4.4ghz @ 1.33v), RAM: 2x8gb Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series DDR3 1600, GFX: Galaxy GTX670 GC, PSU: OCZ 1250w ZX, CASE: Corsair 500R, HDD: 120gb Samsung 840, WD 4TB Black
Quick, Cheap, and Dirty NAS: Sempron 140, Hyper 212+ with 800RPM Scythe Slipstreams, 4gb ram, 5x2tb Hitachis in RAID5, Seasonic SSR-360GP, Antec 300, Biostar Tpower motherboard, APC BR700G UPS, Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H router (Upgrade in the works)
Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X220 HTPC: Zotac ZBOX AD04-U w/ 6GB Samsung 1333mhz, 64GB Adata Premier Pro SP900
Protobox-1: Raspberry Pi Mod. B Rev. 2, 2.5" LCD, 12v 1A PSU, Aluminum RatShack project box, GPIO breakout board

Project 1UP || Interested in the performance of the new AMD AM1 socket? Ask me, I'll test it!
Bored of games? Nothing good on internet radio or youtube? Dont waste your GHz, find them before they find us. SETI
freakdiablo is online now   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-12, 09:16 AM Thread Starter   #4
Lyian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakdiablo View Post
Have to agree with Adragontattoo. The QNAP looks good, but it comes down to how much effort you want to put into it. A small Atom build running FreeNAS will not only fall well within your budget, but will allow you to expand in the future if needed.

But if you insist on getting a small premade NAS, it may depend more on what/how hard you use it. The way I understand it, if only a few people are using it, you don't need much processing power or ram usage. I can be streaming a bluray rip from my NAS while backing up other files to it and not notice any real slowdown, and that's with using onboard RAID5.
The big thing for me, and why im looking at a 'premade' as oppose to building a machine is power usage, size, noise, and connectivity. I really didn't want to deal with having to have the thing plugged into its own display. Plus it would cost more to build one the way NAS's are designed.

I've looked into it already, it would run about 400+ to build one with similar setup. As far as users, Primarily just me, but outside connections every so often are possible depending if it can host VOIP servers.

Video & Audio: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card (picking up a 2nd for x-fire later on)
Windows 7 Ent x64
Old 04-26-12, 09:54 AM   #5
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyian View Post
The big thing for me, and why im looking at a 'premade' as oppose to building a machine is power usage, size, noise, and connectivity. I really didn't want to deal with having to have the thing plugged into its own display. Plus it would cost more to build one the way NAS's are designed.

I've looked into it already, it would run about 400+ to build one with similar setup. As far as users, Primarily just me, but outside connections every so often are possible depending if it can host VOIP servers.
Headless Linux computers, anyone?

I am sure you have some kind of old computer you can use. Then just grab a SATA card with lotsa ports, no need for expensive PERCs or RAID cards (if you find one cheap, grab it, ofc) and use software RAIDs if you need a RAID. VoIP server, I think there're Linux servers for all the major clients (TS, Ventrilo...).

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras
txus.palacios is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-12, 10:07 AM   #6
Mpegger

10 Year Badge

You can easily build your own headless NAS device that is low power and much more flexible then the pre-mades. Granted the price may not be the best, but the flexibility you get is worth it imo. Those NAS are low priced for a reason (inflexibility), and it's not geared toward the power users, only to the general "plug-n-play-n-forget" populace, who won't try to tweak or grow out of the unit anytime in the foreseeable future.

-----------------------------
[GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB]
"Apparently, Plaintiff believes that he could sue an egg company for fraud for labeling a carton of 12 eggs a “dozen,” because some bakers would view a “dozen” as including 13 items." - Western Digital 2006

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Hitler

(Microsucks) Avatar and quote on loan from AntmanMike
Heatware
Mpegger is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-12, 11:37 AM   #7
nightelph

Any reason to consider a server board and Xeon for a NAS application? Or is that overkill?

Heat
nightelph is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-12, 12:45 PM Thread Starter   #8
Lyian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightelph View Post
Any reason to consider a server board and Xeon for a NAS application? Or is that overkill?
Overkill, unless you want to stream HD movies for your entire neighborhood.

Windows 7 Ent x64
Old 04-26-12, 12:52 PM   #9
cw823
Honeybadger Moderator

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Absolutely a couple reasons, but the biggest one is ECC memory. I'd also argue that a more stable motherboard can't hurt, and if you're running a ZFS file system (which you should), you want tons of memory and decent CPU power.

Also, depending on the distro that you use for OS, certain distros prefer certain hardware, and server level hardware is always more likely to be on the hardware approved list.

honeybadger moderator smacks the **** out of people that cause issues in the classified section

Heatware: cw823
Paypal: paypal @ cw823 dot com

Adak - My spreader bar was shaped using a pair of vise grips, a hammer, and the tow receiver on my pick up

Support your forum:
http://www.newegg.com/
cw823 is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-12, 02:21 PM   #10
deathman20
High Speed Senior

10 Year Badge

I personally love my Synology I got. Works perfect for all my needs and have quiet a few services online with the system. For a NAS box though you mention memory, these things do not use memory at all. Mine came with a 1Gig stick and had another 2Gig stick laying around figuring it might need it... Most I've ever used was 300 some meg ziping multiple files at once and indexing 6000+ photo's.
CPU speed isn't super critical as well unless your zipping the files on the box themselves. For streaming media it really doesn't take much of anything to do that. Typically my box maxes at 20% cpu usage for as much as I can throw at it that doesn't include compressing files.

Anyways onto the list Synology has apps such as file, music and photo sharing via smart phones to get anything on the go. Nice web interface as well, was quick to setup. You pay a premium for it. Printer services works good too for older printers, hooked a printer up and is accessible by anyone in the house via PC. Scanning works as well.

Web sharing be warned, if your ISP contract does NOT allow it they will find out and quickly. Took just a few hours before I got an email that something was accessing restricted ports. Just be warned.

Overall I went with my Synology because my IT department at work mentioned how nice it was. I went with it and never looked back. Took my PC I had acting as a server offline within 24 hours, was up and running with the NAS box within hours.

Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD's / 512GB Samsung 840 Pro
BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
-=The Server=-
Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
3 Gig PC2-6400 | 4x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 1x Samsung F4 2TB
Heat
deathman20 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-12, 02:38 PM   #11
cw823
Honeybadger Moderator

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathman20 View Post
For a NAS box though you mention memory, these things do not use memory at all. Mine came with a 1Gig stick and had another 2Gig stick laying around figuring it might need it... Most I've ever used was 300 some meg ziping multiple files at once and indexing 6000+ photo's.
CPU speed isn't super critical as well unless your zipping the files on the box themselves.
What did you think Xeon and server board meant? If you go with a cookie cutter with a mediocre file system, sure. But if you actually care about your data and want ZFS (the ONLY real filesystem for critical data), you need a motherboard, processor and (wait for it)....RAM!

honeybadger moderator smacks the **** out of people that cause issues in the classified section

Adak - My spreader bar was shaped using a pair of vise grips, a hammer, and the tow receiver on my pick up

Support your forum:
cw823 is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-12, 02:45 PM   #12
deathman20
High Speed Senior

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw823 View Post
What did you think Xeon and server board meant? If you go with a cookie cutter with a mediocre file system, sure. But if you actually care about your data and want ZFS (the ONLY real filesystem for critical data), you need a motherboard, processor and (wait for it)....RAM!
Sorry when I ment memory/CPU speed I ment for the Synology NAS box NOT custom built boxes.

Though if its a ZFS system u do need the power.

Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD's / 512GB Samsung 840 Pro
BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
-=The Server=-
Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
3 Gig PC2-6400 | 4x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 1x Samsung F4 2TB
Heat
deathman20 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-12, 02:47 PM   #13
cw823
Honeybadger Moderator

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathman20 View Post
Sorry when I ment memory/CPU speed I ment for the Synology NAS box NOT custom built boxes.

Though if its a ZFS system u do need the power.
And to be fair I have never owned a store-built NAS.

Support your forum:
Old 04-26-12, 03:24 PM   #14
nightelph

Cool, thank you.

Heat
nightelph is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-12, 04:05 PM   #15
Kilberz
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyian View Post
I've read over another NAS thread of someone who was looking for a 4 bay.

I'm only needing a 2 bay system myself. (haven't decided if i would raid for backup or not yet) What I would like for it to do, (aside from 'as much as possible') is the following..

* Price (dont want to go much over $300. Anything over that it starts to become more feasible to just build a mini computer to do the same work)
* File Sharing (dua)
* Streaming (to other devices such as game consoles and mobile devices)
* FTP (like to be able to send/retrieve information remotely like from work)
* Printer sharing (this is becoming less of an issue. I currently do not have a printer, and most newer ones have networking built in, but i would be nice to have this option just in case)
* Web hosting (this isnt a must, but it would be nice if i could host a website within it that could run SQL and such.
* Serving - ( i would LOVE it if i could host servers on this thing. Such as Vent or Teamspeak. Not sure if the Nas' are that utilitarian or not, but it would be nice.

The two models im looking at are as follows. Outlined by what I see are differences.

Synology DS212
- Supports USB 3.0

QNAP TS-219PII-US
- Faster Processor
- More memory

It would seem, overall that the QNap would perform better, but i know little about Qnap hardware.

Can anyone provide insight to these, or other NAS systems that might fit the bill?
I Have a Synology DS121 and its pretty ace, has one 3TB drive in at the moment, all UI is awesome, packed full of features, so proud of it

COOLER: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
MEMORY: Corsair 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
GPU: MSI GTX 550 Ti Cyclone II OC 1GB GDDR5
CASE: Coolermaster CM 690 II Adavance - Special Edition White
PSU: Coolermaster GX 650W PSU
Kilberz is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-08-12, 02:52 PM Thread Starter   #16
Lyian

+ Routing

ok.. ive decided to abort the pre-built NAS's and build my own for multipurpose use. Going to make a new thread based on this. (if it even belongs here)

Thanks all for the help

Windows 7 Ent x64

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray