Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

Question about running a web server from home

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 12:04 PM Thread Starter   #1
tech0925
Registered

Question about running a web server from home

Not really sure if this is the best place to post this but I have come to like this forum and everyone is usually very knowledgeable and helpful

I recently built a computer and installed two hard drives. One obviously has windows installed and the other is used basically for storage.

My questions:
1. Would it be ok to run a web server off the second HD?
2. What would be the cons and pros of this? (if its possible)
3. If so, since I bought windows 7 and have it installed on my main computer HD can I also install it on the other hard drive without any issues from Windows since it is the same computer?

Just some thoughts I have..

Thanks!
tech0925 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-14-12, 12:24 AM   #2
Go3Team

A few questions for you:

What kind of internet connection do you have?
Do you have a router between your computer and the internet connection?
Will you be registering a domain name for use with this web server?
What kind of content do you intend to serve up with this web server?
Have you thought about which server you want to run? (Apache, IIS, lighttpd...)

Unless you are serving up large files, it doesn't really matter which hard drive is being used.
The database on my server uses the most space, but all of the content is < 500MB.

As for installing 7 to a 2nd hard drive, would you still be using both drives in the same computer? If so, there really is no purpose for doing that.
Go3Team is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-14-12, 09:33 PM   #3
f4tticus

If you just playing around and not serving any realllll content i would suggest trying to install a user friendly linux distro such as Fedora and starting the httpd service and configure your apache webserver.

As Goteam said, what type of connection do you have? if you do not have a static IP you will need to use a service like No-IP or somthing of that nature..
f4tticus is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 10:28 AM Thread Starter   #4
tech0925
Registered

Thanks everyone! I have found that it would violate my providers terms of use. So I guess I will be stuck hosting my files elsewhere as I have been doing. I was just hoping to get out of that in a cheaper way but it appears there is a lot when it comes to running your own server.

Thanks!
tech0925 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 11:28 PM   #5
ihrsetrdr

Location: just on the edge of civilization, in the Mojave Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech0925 View Post
Thanks everyone! I have found that it would violate my providers terms of use. So I guess I will be stuck hosting my files elsewhere as I have been doing. I was just hoping to get out of that in a cheaper way but it appears there is a lot when it comes to running your own server.

Thanks!
Verizon DSL, by any chance? That's been the impediment to my setting up a web server- Verizon's TOS. :

However, I've discovered that by switching service to dslextreme, I could run a server with dslextreme and be doing such through Verizion's network equipment..go figure.

ihrsetrdr aka Tim

Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious.
- Unknown
ihrsetrdr is online now Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.