• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Ivy Bridge Temperatures - It's Gettin' Hot in Here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Archer, be careful what you watch for when people delid. Some results going both ways good and bad, depending on how the cooler attaches and other factors when delidding. Doing it, and doing it right are different things. It seems like lately people are getting the best results by replacing the TIM then replacing the IHS - I imagine thats mainly a contact thing with the die/cooler.

Thanks, they fixed that for us. :)

I am looking for cores that are not ripped to shreds only. Results are secondary. Like I said before my last delid ripped open a core. Not good.

They are awfully sure about something that doesnt have a answer based in facts yet...

EDIT: Well, its nice to see some actual testing done on it! :)

Well it looks like 4.4 on this air is all I am going to get. Admittedly it is IBT and I can not think of anything rougher.

Still I am going to test it against my SB setup @ 4.5 just to see how well the faster memory and CPU do at a clock deficiency of 100.

Got a 3570k running at 4.6GHz stock volts (~1.25v) WP1024 temps are ~60c on a Frio Extreme with one fan on low. Not bad for the speed.

"Ivy Bridge is still an amazing push forward performance wise" i think thats a bit of an overstatement for 3-7% over the last gen lol. I would say a gentle push in performance :bday:

Well it looks like 4.4 on this air is all I am going to get. Admittedly it is IBT and I can not think of anything rougher.

Still I am going to test it against my SB setup @ 4.5 just to see how well the faster memory and CPU do at a clock deficiency of 100.

probably best to do it + 200-300 mhz, will account for the average 5% difference in performance better than 100. I could tell you the results of a 4.4 Ib Vs 4.5 Sb now.

probably best to do it + 200-300 mhz, will account for the average 5% difference in performance better than 100. I could tell you the results of a 4.4 Ib Vs 4.5 Sb now.

I can't really understand what you are saying there.

The IB platform at stock is better, as a whole, than the SB is when overclocked.

I'm saying running the IB at a deficiency of 100mhz isnt really a worthwhile comparison Vs the SB. The Ib runs on average 5% faster than a SB. So in order to actually get a worthwhile comparison, run the SB at 200-300 mhz faster (roughly 5% faster clocks) well 220 to be precise

Thanks for the clarification.

I look at much more than just the CPU benches. I look at the big picture and unfortunately MB manufacturers have not taken full advantage of what the IB CPU has to offer. Some of those 3.0 lanes could be used to boost the poor DMI that is quickly becoming a bottle neck.

We know that the 2.0 spec was plenty for video cards and 1.0 still does fine but the poor south bridge has been neglected. With SSDs and other fast bandwidth hogging devices out there some of those lanes need to be devoted to the south bridge.

Intel Northwood to Prescott all over again???

Doesn't anyone remember when Intel did this before? It was a big disappointment then and for me it is a disappointment now.
Differences between (Intel) Northwood and Prescott Cores When Intel went from 130nm process to 90nm process the Prescott slurped enough power to destroy capacitors and power supplies on the fleet of Dell desktops I managed at the time. Dell configured the systems for Northwood power needs and then dropped Prescotts in that over whelmed their design. MB manufacturers should have learned but it'd be wise to check all the power capabilities and have someone do an actual measurement of Ivy Bridge power draw compared to Sandy Bridge and see if the published specs are real THIS TIME.

Runs warmer AND uses less power

If Ivy is hotter that means it's wasting more power making heat instead of processing. My guess (only a guess based on Intel's actions in history) is that the published power draw of the Ivy is much much less than the actual draw - especially when overvolting / overclocking. The data in print from Intel is best case marketing speak. The heat has to come from somewhere. More heat = more power use (as I understand the physics anyway - which is limited - I only did 111 university Physics - I never took 112).

Efficient. Converting power to work creates heat.

So does conductive resistance, just to throw a spanner in the works :p

What we all need is supper conductor based transistors, IBM are making good progress on that front.

If Ivy is hotter that means it's wasting more power making heat instead of processing. My guess (only a guess based on Intel's actions in history) is that the published power draw of the Ivy is much much less than the actual draw - especially when overvolting / overclocking. The data in print from Intel is best case marketing speak. The heat has to come from somewhere. More heat = more power use (as I understand the physics anyway - which is limited - I only did 111 university Physics - I never took 112).

Cruising the web and downloading a file:
100_0876.JPG
100_0875.JPG

Last edited:

The published power draw (at least that published here) of Ivy is what I saw from a Kill-a-Watt. When both are running stock, Ivy pulls less than Sandy. SNB stock: 158W, IVB stock: 134W. I didn't record SNB overclocked so I couldn't make the comparison, but a fair assessment is that the gap closes when both are overclocked.

The chip itself isn't producing more heat. It's showing higher temperatures. This is partially because Intel cheaped out and used thermal paste instead of fluxless solder. If they stuck with solder, the temperatures would be much closer to what you see with SNB. They might be a little bit higher because of the process shrink, but in large part it's due to the CPU-to-IHS interface.

You're confusing high temperatures with more heat production. The two are not as related as you think in this case. Ivy runs really hot temperature wise, but it doesn't spew a bunch of heat out of my radiator. Certainly not what you'd think a CPU running at 70°C+ would put out. Alternatively, when I run SNB-E loaded at 50°C, its radiator puts out plenty of heat. Not so with a 70°C+ IVB.

I'm starting to see TDP numbers as pretty useless as a measure for power draw.

My CPU has a 125w TDP, i can assure you its using more then that right now.

77w TDP- Ivy vs 95w TDP Sandy, yet its power draw is only 5w less on Ivy

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,3181-23.html

The TDP does not dictate the final power draw, even at factory clocks, I feel increasingly the TDP number is used more as a marketing ploy.

Back