Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

ASUS Maximus V GENE Motherboard Review

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 09:07 AM   #21
iatacs19

Can the CPU 4-pin fan header control the RPMs for 3-pin fans?
iatacs19 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 05-15-12, 09:14 AM   #22
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

@iatacas19, most times, they do not control the voltage, thus, they do not control the 3-pin fans.

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras
txus.palacios is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 09:21 AM   #23
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

I'm honestly not sure. I assume it can, but can't say with certainty, sorry.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 09:41 AM   #24
Bobnova

Varies widely.
Asus sometimes allows you to set whether it runs voltage control or PWM control, but it varies by motherboard.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 09:47 AM   #25
iatacs19

I have the Gene-Z IV and the chassis fans can control both 4-pin and 3-pin RPMs, but the CPU fan header can only control 4-pin fans. Just seems strange that one set of headers can control both types of fans while the other cannot.
iatacs19 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 10:02 AM   #26
LoneWolf121188

Great review! Two questions:

How does this compare with the Gigabye G1.Sniper M3? I think that's the only other mATX mobo that comes close. Seems like it might have a better sound system, but maybe not as good power circuitry? It's also $20 cheaper, and probably has better customer service vs Asus.

Also, what's the speed on that mSATA expansion board? If its 6 Gb/s, I'd consider getting a mSATA SSD as my boot drive, just to save space...

mATX Desktop (Build Log Here): Core i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 1.3V, Maximus VI Gene, 16GB DDR3-1600 RipjawX, EVGA GTX780, Intel 520 240GB, Seagate 2TB, EK CPU and GPU waterblocks, MCP35X, 120.1 and 180.1 radiators.
Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

The Hardware Destruction Thread|OCForums Musicians Club Member -12|OCForums Metal Club Member -12

Well, if he opens the box and its dead, then it would be his fault because the state of the cat is determined by the observer. Then we could be all ‘n00b, you collapsed the wavefunction now! - RoadWarrior, on Schrödinger’s Cat
LoneWolf121188 is offline SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 10:19 AM   #27
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

I can't compare directly, but just looking at photos, this board has a far superior power section.

I'm not sure the M3 has a better sound system. ASUS did a pretty good job on this one. Look at all the capacitors they use to clean up the signal - I don't see anything comparable on the Giga board. There may well be items on the board I'm unable to see though. Where did you see that it is a superior solution?

As far as the mPCIe expansion, I'm not sure its speed; I assume it is SATA II. SATA III would require a third party controller and it's doubtful they could fit that in the space. What I do know is that, even if it's SATA II, you'll be doing better for overall system performance than any SATA III mechanical drive on the market.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 12:51 PM   #28
Eldonko
Revolutionary Mule

I dont know for sure but I dont see why it wouldnt be 6Gb/s. There is no controller chip because mPCIe has a dedicated lane to pch and Z77 can support 6x SATA 3 natively. Since there are only 2 SATA 3 ports on the board it makes sense that the mPCIe is probably SATA 3 right? Will confirm with ASUS as Im curious now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
As far as the mPCIe expansion, I'm not sure its speed; I assume it is SATA II. SATA III would require a third party controller and it's doubtful they could fit that in the space. What I do know is that, even if it's SATA II, you'll be doing better for overall system performance than any SATA III mechanical drive on the market.

Eldonko is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 12:56 PM   #29
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Z77 can only support 2x SATA 3 ports (plus 4x SATA 2) - Reference chart. You had me worried for a second!

That being the case, it would require a third-party controller, right?

Old 05-15-12, 01:26 PM   #30
Bobnova

If the thing is mPCIe it's not any flavor of sata, it's PCIe.
If it's mSATA (same connector, different wiring...) then there is a question of what generation SATA.

EDIT:
Maybe I should read the review!
I bet that port shares with another, much like the eSATA ports usually do.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 01:35 PM   #31
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

I think it's SATA II. There is nothing on this dongle to indicate it is SATA 3 (such as a controller). Without that, it could use the CPU's remaining SATA II capability (two ports of which are not used on the GENE, in favor of a third-party SATA 3 controller).

Photos (click for larger):

Old 05-15-12, 01:50 PM   #32
Eldonko
Revolutionary Mule

Got it, you are right, it is SATA 2. I was looking at the chipset diagram which says 6 x SATA "UP TO" 6Gb/s. Didnt realize there were only 2, but makes sense. There is no controller on the module or on the board and it is direct to pch so has to be SATA 2.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...s-chipset.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
Z77 can only support 2x SATA 3 ports (plus 4x SATA 2) - Reference chart. You had me worried for a second!

That being the case, it would require a third-party controller, right?

Thanks!
hokiealumnus (05-15-12)
Old 05-15-12, 01:53 PM   #33
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Whew, glad we got that settled.

Old 05-15-12, 01:54 PM   #34
Eldonko
Revolutionary Mule

Confirmation from ASUS:

There is no current MSATA solution on the market that supports SATA3 ( 6G operation ). Including ours overall this is a fairly mute point as the drive is generally intended for SSD Caching. That being noted we have validated with RunCore, Patriot, Kingston and others on large mSATA modules 120 and larger for normal boot / OS drive and normal SSD performance is present ( BOOT, Application launching, Copy Performance etc ).

Thanks!
EarthDog (05-15-12), hokiealumnus (05-15-12)
Old 05-15-12, 01:55 PM   #35
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I was looking at the chipset diagram which says 6 x SATA "UP TO" 6Gb/s. Didnt realize there were only 2, but makes sense.
It'd be hard to make that statement any more misleading. If it weren't for marketing decisions like that, we wouldn't have as much of a need as we have for independent reviews to sort this stuff out.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-15-12, 02:03 PM   #36
Eldonko
Revolutionary Mule

Lol yeah, of course they dont just go out and say 2x 6Gb/s and 4x 3Gb/s, that would make too much sense.

Old 05-16-12, 12:07 AM   #37
LoneWolf121188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Confirmation from ASUS:

There is no current MSATA solution on the market that supports SATA3 ( 6G operation ). Including ours overall this is a fairly mute point as the drive is generally intended for SSD Caching. That being noted we have validated with RunCore, Patriot, Kingston and others on large mSATA modules 120 and larger for normal boot / OS drive and normal SSD performance is present ( BOOT, Application launching, Copy Performance etc ).
Anand has a review of a 6 Gbps mSATA SSD right here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5735/m...8gb-ssd-review

Not sure what motherboard they were using for the test, but it had identical performance to the regular SATA 3 drive, so clearly it's running at SATA 3 speeds...

Sorry if I'm the only one who cares about this.

mATX Desktop (Build Log Here): Core i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 1.3V, Maximus VI Gene, 16GB DDR3-1600 RipjawX, EVGA GTX780, Intel 520 240GB, Seagate 2TB, EK CPU and GPU waterblocks, MCP35X, 120.1 and 180.1 radiators.
Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

The Hardware Destruction Thread|OCForums Musicians Club Member -12|OCForums Metal Club Member -12

Well, if he opens the box and its dead, then it would be his fault because the state of the cat is determined by the observer. Then we could be all ‘n00b, you collapsed the wavefunction now! - RoadWarrior, on Schrödinger’s Cat
LoneWolf121188 is offline SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-16-12, 08:21 AM   #38
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

Maybe Anand was using something like this?

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras
txus.palacios is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-16-12, 05:58 PM   #39
stainlineho

Does this board have any type of on-board fan controller?

Old 05-16-12, 06:43 PM   #40
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Yes, via BIOS and software control you can control four four-pin fan headers.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards