Forum Jump

[HELP]Overclocking Suggestions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 08:13 PM Thread Starter   #1
Senton
Registered

[HELP]Overclocking Suggestions

Hello everyone. I'm new here.

I have a good gaming rig so I want to overclock my system.
I would like someone to assist me trough the BIOS settings.
Here are my System Specifications:

P.S. I did some overclocking by myself, but I think that is not enough.

Thanks in advance.
Senton is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-20-12, 08:51 AM   #2
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Hello Senton, welcome to OCF! I moved your thread to Intel CPUs so it gets a few more eyes on it.

I'd recommend checking out the 3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 for starters. You are looking good at 4.5GHz, but you're a bit high on the Vcore side of things unless your chip isn't very strong. That said, you probably won't be able to get too much farther for 24/7 use. My chip would only do 4.8GHz and that was ~ 1.36Vcore IIRC.

Also, any particular reason you're running three sticks of RAM? That's hindering performance by forcing you to run dual channel. I'd pull one of those out so you're running dual channel and taking advantage of that.

For those that dont want to / can't click the link, he's working with a
2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ 1.408 Vcore
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
3 x 4GB Corsair RAM (running 1866 / 10-10-10-27

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-20-12, 08:55 AM Thread Starter   #3
Senton
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
Hello Senton, welcome to OCF! I moved your thread to Intel CPUs so it gets a few more eyes on it.

I'd recommend checking out the 3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 for starters. You are looking good at 4.5GHz, but you're a bit high on the Vcore side of things unless your chip isn't very strong. That said, you probably won't be able to get too much farther for 24/7 use. My chip would only do 4.8GHz and that was ~ 1.36Vcore IIRC.

Also, any particular reason you're running three sticks of RAM? That's hindering performance by forcing you to run dual channel. I'd pull one of those out so you're running dual channel and taking advantage of that.

For those that dont want to / can't click the link, he's working with a
2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ 1.408 Vcore
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
3 x 4GB Corsair RAM (running 1866 / 10-10-10-27
Thanks for the help and thread moving. So if I understood right, the voltage can be a problem? And I run 3 RAMs because it was a set of 3 all together. If I remove 1 I will have 8GB only .. So better I will buy 1 more, but is very hard to find individual piece. They sell only 2 pieces and so on.
I will check that link with the guide you gave me.

Off-Topic: Btw. I want upgrade my graphics, gtx 670 or 690? 690 is pretty expensive and in Sweden is pretty much not available yet.
Old 05-20-12, 10:27 AM   #4
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

The 690 would be a much larger upgrade of course but it's hardly worth a grand plus IMHO. The 670 is a very strong GPU. I'm working on reviewing an ASUS GTX670 DirectCUII TOP and it is one heck of a card. Cool running, strong and quiet. If you're dissatisfied for some reason, adding another 670 would make your total $840 instead of $1,000.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-20-12, 10:27 AM   #5
darwin619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senton View Post
Off-Topic: Btw. I want upgrade my graphics, gtx 670 or 690? 690 is pretty expensive and in Sweden is pretty much not available yet.
IMO, the 670. The couple fps you gain from the 690 doesn't justify the extra $400 imho. Others may disagree.

FYI, I'm running the EVGA 670 superclock and I love it. No problems, but I may take advantage of the recall situation and snag a free FTW upgrade.
darwin619 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-20-12, 10:29 AM   #6
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

FYI darwin619, the 690 ($1,000) is $600 more than the 670 ($400), not $400.

Old 05-20-12, 10:32 AM   #7
darwin619

Quote:
FYI darwin619, the 690 ($1,000) is $600 more than the 670 ($400), not $400.
LOL. Even bigger reason not to upgrade atm.

Your right, SLI 2x670>>>690 and cheaper.
darwin619 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-20-12, 07:10 PM Thread Starter   #8
Senton
Registered

Quote:
The 690 would be a much larger upgrade of course but it's hardly worth a grand plus IMHO. The 670 is a very strong GPU. I'm working on reviewing an ASUS GTX670 DirectCUII TOP and it is one heck of a card. Cool running, strong and quiet. If you're dissatisfied for some reason, adding another 670 would make your total $840 instead of $1,000.
ATM I have my GTX580 from ZOTAC. Which is the best producer? Should I buy GTX670 from ASUS? So I have set, or doesn't this matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin619 View Post
IMO, the 670. The couple fps you gain from the 690 doesn't justify the extra $400 imho. Others may disagree.

FYI, I'm running the EVGA 670 superclock and I love it. No problems, but I may take advantage of the recall situation and snag a free FTW upgrade.
I'm really thinking of buy 670 and in the future make a SLI, I would really like to see these 2 in action first.

And if I SLI GTX580 with GTX670 ... Do I gain anything?
Old 05-20-12, 08:39 PM   #9
Knufire

AFAIK, you can't SLI different cards. If you have a 580, it's almost a waste of money going to anything else. The 670 is a better card, but it's only a small jump in performance and not worth the money at all. If you want to upgrade, you're better off getting another 580 to SLI. You'd want an 800-850W PSU though.

Sandy Bridge/Z68 is a dual-channel platform, 2 or 4 sticks of RAM is more optimal than 1 or 3, which would force you into single-channel mode.

Secondary Rig:
CM Elite 430 | A8-3870K stock | Radeon HD 6670 | 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 4GB G.SKILL DDR3-1333 | ASUS A55

Knufire is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
hokiealumnus (05-20-12)
Old 05-20-12, 11:07 PM Thread Starter   #10
Senton
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knufire View Post
AFAIK, you can't SLI different cards. If you have a 580, it's almost a waste of money going to anything else. The 670 is a better card, but it's only a small jump in performance and not worth the money at all. If you want to upgrade, you're better off getting another 580 to SLI. You'd want an 800-850W PSU though.

Sandy Bridge/Z68 is a dual-channel platform, 2 or 4 sticks of RAM is more optimal than 1 or 3, which would force you into single-channel mode.
What it would be the performance with 2 580s in a SLI? Do they need to be the same producer, ZOTAC? Or can I use other models? The RAM issue I will solve it this month, buying an extra one.
Another question. Does my mobo support SLI technology? My current power box is a 660W. I think upgrade needed.
Old 05-20-12, 11:10 PM   #11
wingman99

10 Year Badge

If i where you i would just run 2 sticks of ram 8GB is enough for most things, unless you do photoshop or CAD.
Yes your board supports SLI and you can use other models.

EVGA SuperClocked GTX 570
wingman99 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-20-12, 11:13 PM Thread Starter   #12
Senton
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman99 View Post
If i where you i would just run 2 sticks of ram 8GB is enough for most things, unless you do photoshop or CAD.
Oh man, you make me smile. Photoshop and graphic designing are my life. And really now, does PS CS6 require that much?
Old 05-20-12, 11:30 PM   #13
wingman99

10 Year Badge

I would get one more stick of memory that will help allot.
580 vs 680 LINK: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/n...-680-review/13

PS CS6 you can use as much memory as you can use if it's 64bit PS CS6

CS4, CS5, 32 bit Windows 32 bit 1.7 GB
CS4, CS5, 32 bit Windows 64 bit 3.2 GB
CS4, CS5, 64 bit* Windows 64 bit As much RAM as you can fit in your computer

EVGA SuperClocked GTX 570

Last edited by wingman99; 05-20-12 at 11:50 PM.
wingman99 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-21-12, 02:52 AM Thread Starter   #14
Senton
Registered

Useful info there. Thanks.
Old 05-21-12, 07:25 AM Thread Starter   #15
Senton
Registered

These are my temperatures, normal use and in-game mode.

Old 05-21-12, 12:36 PM   #16
Knufire

Quote:
Oh man, you make me smile. Photoshop and graphic designing are my life. And really now, does PS CS6 require that much?
Photoshop/Graphic designing is one of the most RAM intensive things you can do. While 8GB might be overkill for most people, depending on the size of your project, it might not be enough for you. If you're buying a stick soon, better to just leave the 12GB in there. The performance decrease from being forced into single-channel mode is much less than if you actually maxed out your RAM, things would move into the page file and get reaaaaalllllllyyyyy slow.

Quote:
What it would be the performance with 2 580s in a SLI? Do they need to be the same producer, ZOTAC? Or can I use other models? The RAM issue I will solve it this month, buying an extra one.
Another question. Does my mobo support SLI technology? My current power box is a 660W. I think upgrade needed.
Exactly what card do you have? If it's a reference card, doesn't matter what company it's from. However, if it's a non-reference card like Zotac's AMP! series, you'd want the exact same card. Either way, it's always safer to go with identical cards.

Your P8Z68 Deluxe is a extremely well designed motherboard and does include SLI technology .

And yes, you'd want to upgrade that PSU if you wish to go SLI. Unless you like sparks and explosions (which can be fun at times, I'll admit ). A 800-850W PSU from the recommended list in the PSU section of the forums will give you plenty of headroom if you want to OC the hell out of the graphic cards as well.

If you find a PSU that you think is good, but isn't on the list, find a review from hardwaresecrets.com, jonnyguru.com, or hardforum.com. A lot of PSU reviews are crap and don't mean anything, those are three of the few websites that thoroughtly tests PSUs.

Secondary Rig:
CM Elite 430 | A8-3870K stock | Radeon HD 6670 | 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 4GB G.SKILL DDR3-1333 | ASUS A55

Knufire is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
Senton (05-21-12)
Old 05-21-12, 04:43 PM Thread Starter   #17
Senton
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knufire View Post
Photoshop/Graphic designing is one of the most RAM intensive things you can do. While 8GB might be overkill for most people, depending on the size of your project, it might not be enough for you. If you're buying a stick soon, better to just leave the 12GB in there. The performance decrease from being forced into single-channel mode is much less than if you actually maxed out your RAM, things would move into the page file and get reaaaaalllllllyyyyy slow.

Exactly what card do you have? If it's a reference card, doesn't matter what company it's from. However, if it's a non-reference card like Zotac's AMP! series, you'd want the exact same card. Either way, it's always safer to go with identical cards.

Your P8Z68 Deluxe is a extremely well designed motherboard and does include SLI technology .

And yes, you'd want to upgrade that PSU if you wish to go SLI. Unless you like sparks and explosions (which can be fun at times, I'll admit ). A 800-850W PSU from the recommended list in the PSU section of the forums will give you plenty of headroom if you want to OC the hell out of the graphic cards as well.

If you find a PSU that you think is good, but isn't on the list, find a review from hardwaresecrets.com, jonnyguru.com, or hardforum.com. A lot of PSU reviews are crap and don't mean anything, those are three of the few websites that thoroughtly tests PSUs.
That was a lot of good info there, I really appreciate your efforts and useful answers. I will do as you said.

Thanks.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs