• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Overclockers' Updated Video Card Testing Procedure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

asus-gtx670-dcii-41-300x199.jpg

With the launch of Ivy Bridge, we've decided to migrate our video card testbed to the new platform, primarily because of its PCIe 3.0 specification. Along with the move, we've updated our test suite as well to make it more relevant to our readers that always like the latest and greatest titles. Older games like HAWX 2 and STALKER just won't cut it any longer.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Great write up Jeremy!

I can only think of one question..... the benchmarks that give FPS as the test results, some give max, minimum, and average. Are we always using average FPS for our chart data?

Thanks!

Thanks! Average is what we'll use in recording the data for charting purposes. Maximums are pretty pointless, but minimums can bear mentioning (and/or graphing) if you're feeling ambitious or if they're really bad.

LOL, gotcha! Thanks again for the great write-up. it will be very useful as we move forward!!

Excellent write up!

I believe adding these games and removing others help keep OCF reviews relevant in today's gaming landscape. We have a little bit of everything going on here. :)

Defiantly a good uptick. Look forward to the reviews, I'm now torn between the 7850 or 670 if I save another 150$ and these reviews could help, a lot of the games I play are now in your test bed.

And minimum frames is defiantly worth mentioning over maximums, who cares if your max is 160 fps if whenever there is action you dip to the 20s? (not likely but still lol)

sounds cool
just 1 thing why not add Bitcoin mining to the "Game Tests and Settings"
to see what the cards get when mining Bitcoins

We're going for broad appeal and I'm not sure Bitcoin mining is used widely enough to really make it useful to a very large portion of our audience. Not a bad suggestion, I just don't think it would really appeal to enough people.

Its honestly never been brought up...

We know AMD cards do better (at least that is what I recall) and part of the reason 5870's jumped in price. But the bitcoin thing, IMNSHO, has come and gone.

Nice write up, I think this is a very good spread of benchmarks/games :thup:

Just one question, some of the new boards will automatically enable lucid virtu, so is it to be left on or off? It can have a significant affect on some scores.

Lucid MVP should be off. Not all boards will have it, and turning it off will give us a more direct comparison between cards. Then, for those who have Lucid MVP, they can expect performance at least as good as our results, with the possibility of better performance if they enable MVP.

Must say i like the selection, and even more i like the 1920 x 1080 resolution, im guessing quite a few of us run that, most other sites do 1920 x 1200 :bang head.
Looking forward to reading future reviews :thup:

nice refresh, seems like a well thought out, balanced and up to date way to review games. I especially like the triple monitor addition for the e-peen dreams in all of us. I assume mostly it will serve as a way to educate on how much ram video cards really need, and when they need it.

Galaxy GTX670

Nice Review. I have the Galaxy GTX670 I don't think i've even pushed it yet or even have it setup right. I see this is based on the Ivy Bridge Intel Mobo's.. Could anyone tell me if there is any AMD boards based on PCI-E 3.0?
Any info to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
I currently Have an Asus M5A97 mobo. DDR3 1600 Mem. AMD Phenom 2 960? X4

Nice Review. I have the Galaxy GTX670 I don't think i've even pushed it yet or even have it setup right. I see this is based on the Ivy Bridge Intel Mobo's.. Could anyone tell me if there is any AMD boards based on PCI-E 3.0?
Any info to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks
in Advance.
I currently Have an Asus M5A97 mobo. DDR3 1600
Mem. AMD Phenom 2 960? X4
no pci-e 3.0 on any AMD boards ATM. have to wait for a future CPU from them that supports it.

Back