• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Mechanical Keyboard Showdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

The keyboard is a computer peripheral that many people take for granted. The average user will likely stick with the $5 keyboard that came with their OEM computer until the keyboard dies or they replace the entire computer itself. Looking past the cheap bundled keyboards opens up a wide selection of different brands, designs, and features that a ?normal? keyboard can not offer. In this article I will be providing a rundown of some of the higher-end keyboards available on the market -- the mechanical keyboards.

... Return to article to continue reading.

This is very interesting, because I own a Logitech G510 keyboard, which I read is a membrane keyboard, but I absolutely love the way the keys are pressed and depressed. I think I've been on membrane keyboards my entire life, except for my first one, but by far this is my most favorite keyboard I have owned. As much as I would like to spend money and try out a mechanical keyboard, I think I'll stick with this G510 until it dies.

Got my rosewill in, build quality is quite nice. The actuation force is a little less than I'm used too, so I'm bottoming out certain keys. But I an immediately tell a difference in typing; when I get several words in a row typed using only half the actuation I notice I am much quicker. I think these Cherry Brown MX keys need 45g to actuate, my old KB felt much higher. I'm going to try some Diable 3 later, I look forward to it.

Edit: The cables are probably the nicest I have ever seen on a computer peripheral.

Last edited:
Love my blackwiddow mech keyboard it works so much better than my g15 does at work esp for gaming it has better key roll over some people may say hogwash but I'm considerably better at say crouch hopping threw a window or using a skill mid air while turning and strafing because of it with my g15 I've had my avatar just stop sometimes due to to many key roll over.

I imagine most gaming orientated mechanicals have similar principles and I'm not sure id pay what i paid again for a razer mechanical i'd prob go with like janus said Ozone or steel series as they seem to lack bling and just bring what's needed at a lesser price point the corsair mechanical board looks decent aswell.

And I'm also not so happy with the gloss finish it was a bad decision on my BW but meh fingerprints don't loose games.

As-well my enter led blinks and sometimes goes out but that's just razer build quality in action the actual cherry red switches are awesome and respond perfectly and my words per minute when typing has gone up surprisingly.

:attn: janus

Awesome article, i could never not use a mechanical keyboard since I switched (blue switch all day), I even bought one with my own money for work!

yup i converted 4 peeps at work and they are all happy . funny we say converted because they all used mechanicals 15ish years ago .. "yea were oldies now"

Nice Janus, I have recently wondered when reading mentions of mechanical keyboards, and this clarified it for me. I use a Logitech Wave keyboard, membrane type. What I've opted for over the past 15 years has been of the "ergonomic" type as I have broken both my wrists and some fingers and the ergo's are simply far more comfortable; glad they came along. Sure beats the old Royal manual's I learned to type on in HS; that was one noisy class.

Oh, and shut up about the age thang ! :cool:

My Leopold FC700R does me well. Tis very solidly built. I feel like I could throw it at a car head on and have it win the smash and come out better than the car. LOL. (Over exaggeration perhaps...). Tenkeyless is also sweet. Full-size keyboards.. Eh you'll quickly find you don't need them! Lol.

I've got a Filco Majestouch with black switches for gaming and I absolutely love it. The letters are on the front of the keys instead of the top so they won't wear down. It's less bulky than a lot of those keyboards in the roundup and it's really not that hard to type on once you get used to it either. It's just very sensitive and not ideal for typing at length due to fatigue. I've had it for about a year now and the frequented keys do not feel different than the other, less used keys. Filco keyboards are also known for having extremely high build quality and durability.

Last edited:
Sir I just saw the OVERCLOCKERS "layout" banner and I've got to say it's awesome. :thup:

I wish I would have imported it into the article to show it off as once it falls out of the top-5 articles it will be gone, twas the wife's idea :)

Back