• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Mechanical Keyboard Showdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NP. You've got me interested in these things, but i need one in the shape of an MS Natural keyboard before I can do it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem anyone cares to make one.

Wow, yea it is. Doesn't look very ergonomic either. If you could substitute "weird" for "ergonomic", I suppose it would be... :shrug:

I think it looks somewhat ergo. If you look at the benefits page the way that the keys angle in somewhat it can do it. And with that it actually has a similar split to the M$ Natural or logitech wave

Been loving my new Rosewill. I've been doing a ton of typing an Diablo 3 since I got it and although it is taking a bit of time to half press each key, my typing speed is getting faster and faster, its actually fun to use. D3 is great for when I start spamming a key, like Space to skip dialog, very quick. I highly recommend this KB to everyone.

Thanks Janus.

And if you want ergonomic check out this Maltron shown on ocnet

picture.php

Last edited:
9o8fn.jpg

Those keyboards are so weird to me. But I'd love to try typing on one!

I'm glad you like the keyboard. It was actually my favorite of the bunch for being so well rounded for both typing and gaming.

I can't stand clicky keyboards....probably something to do with having classes in high school with nothing but IBM's. The sound of 20+ keyboards going at once has scarred me for life.

My favorite keyboard is the old Gateway Anykey. Onboard programmability, remap, and repeat speeds; not to mention an entire extra set of function keys and diagonal arrow keys. The only down side is the fact it's huge...
Gateway-ANYKEY-Keyboard.jpg

Very well done and thank you. I use a M$ 4000 ergonomic and look forward to more mechanical key options. The one I like best so far is from Kinesis but $300...as much as a good CPU processor. :)

I can't stand clicky keyboards....probably something to do with having classes in high school with nothing but IBM's. The sound of 20+ keyboards going at once has scarred me for life.

My favorite keyboard is the old Gateway Anykey. Onboard programmability, remap, and repeat speeds; not to mention an entire extra set of function keys and diagonal arrow keys. The only down side is the fact it's huge...
Gateway-ANYKEY-Keyboard.jpg

A lot of these newer mech boards aren't really that noisy. Especially when you don't bottom the key out.

I've recently converted to a mechanical keyboard (Corsair K90). At first it felt really weird, but after a week or so it felt really good. Now when I'm using my kb at work, it feels awkward. If you are thinking about upgrading your keyboard, spend the extra money, it's worth it.

Nice informative review Janus, and really helped me decide the type of keyboard I will eventually purchase. I'm still using the one that came with my Sony PCV-E203 Desktop in 1998, but is this color that is between purple and grey, and doesn't look exactly good with my all new black setup. I definitely want lighted keys with easy to read keycaps even though I rarely look at the keyboard to type, but sometimes look for special characters/commands that I don't often use and are hard to find. PS/2 is a must.
It appears though that certain features (like media keys, USB ports, headset input,etc) have to be sacrificed in order to get the other more important features such as those with the Rosewill Rk-9000BR.
It would be good to also include some other brands in this review such as Ducky, Deck, Razer to name a few instead of just he Editor's choices, but I guess every review has its limited as to how much content can be included in a review, and you certainly covered the major points about mechanical keyboards, which was the purpose of the review.
I thought this looked quite different and unique, made of bamboo
all_natural_full_bamboo_wooden_computer_keyboard_and_mouse_1.jpg

Last edited:
Great writing & thank you ! :thup:

Here mine, a really proud owner of this mother of all mechanical keyboard, the IBM M series weapon grade keyboard that I'm currently using at my main desktop, and have been been using it since early '90, oh yeah, its made in USA. ;)

This is an old pic when it was dirty. :eh?:

attachment.php

PS : Really, no kidding, I called it a weapon grade cause its even heavier than today common household inkjet printer :sly:, since the main chassis inside is made from a big piece of thick steel plate.

Yep sounds a lot like (or more specifically) is the same as the unicomp keyboard. Definitely one heavy keyboard but it feels great to type on.

A few of the keyboards in the review are available for purchase in the classifieds. ;)

@pole
I would love to get in some more keyboards for review, but it is a matter of having a company send them over as I don't have a budget to buy hardware just for review. Some are easier to work with than others :)

I wonder if it is possible to replace a laptop keyboard? My Sony model NV-100 I purchased in 2002 and more than likely has rubber domed keys has keys which no longer work, such as the "A" key and while I use a USB external keyboard at present, it is a pain to tote along on the road. Most (shops) say throw the laptop in the garbage, but I happen to like and still use it.

Back