• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI GTX680 Lighting GPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

cardfront-300x225.png

Today we get to look at arguably one of the most coveted models of cards for enthusiasts from MSI, their Lightning brand. For this implementation, all the features that come along with that such as more robust power delivery area and cooling to name two, have been applied to Nvidia’s venerable GTX 680. Let’s take a closer look and see how this one performs.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Nice review, Joe.

Super jealous you got to review this piece of hardware. I better see some sub-zero results soon!

the question really is..

can MSI afterburner 2.2.3 really alt the voltages of the GTX 680.

cause seems like nVidia really dont want people doing that this moment...

the question really is..

can MSI afterburner 2.2.3 really alt the voltages of the GTX 680.

cause seems like nVidia really dont want people doing that this moment...

yer i started a thread about this MSI 2.2.3 the other week. I think we will get voltage control. I know the reference 680 pcb 670's are able to accomodate it ( and ofc all of the 680s) so i think we just have to wait. I think its coming, just how sooonnnnn

Dammit that card has about 500 more points on the gpu score @ 1301 than my 670 @ 1330 ( im around 10880 atm). Must overclock my card moarrrrrrrr :mad:

Nice review Earthdog! Since I'm gonna build a new system later this year, I gotta ask and you probably know.

Whatever happened to the G110 chip cards? Was supposed to be a even better GPU chip coming out later this year?

Any 'internets' on it?

Nice review Earthdog! Since I'm gonna build a new system later this year, I gotta ask and you probably know.

Whatever happened to the G110 chip cards? Was supposed to be a even better GPU chip coming out later this year?

Any 'internets' on it?

I heard that it was the plan to release the G110 chips but because of the performance increase over the the 7XXX amd series there wasnt really any need. Why roll out the G110's when the G104's stomp all the competition already ;) It wouldn't make much business sense to bring out their trump card so soon after the G104's.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/kepler/NV_DS_Tesla_KCompute_Arch_May_2012_LR.pdf not really any useful info in it, but just to make you drool :p

I think they are just biding their time until AMD come out with a response to the 6XX cards. My 2 cent anyhu :attn:

Also i didnt say before but top knotch review ED :thup:

Last edited:
To be fair, I think 'stomp' is too strong of a word. The 7970 and 680 trade blows back and forth depending on the benchmark (it isn't like Intel vs AMD).

I agree though, they don't have much reason to run G110.

when talking about GPUs, it is hard not to take fanboyism out of the equation.. but I will now attempt. :)

HD7970 is a great card. with voltage unlocked, it can actually rock the GTX680 on benchmarks. However, for me, the goodness ends there. AMD did a HORRIBLE job with the drivers and other little things that makes the GPU a good experience. NVidia on the other hand has much better Drivers and support, and now G104 is on-par with AMD's latest. (which is a triumph alone). However, nVidia deciding to lock the voltage on GTX680 is giving a leakage to HD7970. I have a volt mode GTX680 card, and it is a MONSTER, I have increased the power by 150% and is having a stable clock at 1350Mhz currently. (can probably go for 1375 or 1400.. but I want to see others doing it, and NOT ruining the card first. lol.)

ATI cards use to always give me a feeling they have a slight upper hand over nVidia..
but of late, nVidia seems to be the winning company. Just last night AMD actually announced a huge revenue downgrade for themselves.. overall.. I feel AMD has potential, but they just keep mismanaging their company from winning.. and now, nVidia has finally catched up.. and might win the game for the next few years.

Yeah, a definite unfortunate truth. They've always had more issues with their drivers than I've had with using nVidia cards (over the time I've been building computers -- about 13 years now (insert shocked face) I've used about 50% of each).

Really sad about the earnings for AMD... as I'm a stock holder (as well as nVidia and Intel).

MSI AB 2.2.3 is supposed to be able to push past the 1.175 voltage limit that is on most cards. This will not work on every card though as some do not have the power management chip like this card does. Thats all the information on that I can share though.

@ Conundrum - The GK110 question was answered properly to my knowledge. Supposedly its later this year, but that is still a rumor.

EDIT: Thank you for the kind words regarding the review. :)

Last edited:
To be fair, I think 'stomp' is too strong of a word. The 7970 and 680 trade blows back and forth depending on the benchmark (it isn't like Intel vs AMD).

I agree though, they don't have much reason to run G110.

yer i know what you mean, but i suppose im talking real world gains ( GAMESSSSS :p) bechmarks and raw gpu processes yer AMD swings it / edges it on the 6XX's. But at the moment i would say a lot of people would take a 670 /80 over a 7970 ( i was trying to decide between the two for a while) but considering the 680 will edge it in most games ( and with manual voltage control round the corner which will probs put it far beyond what a 7970 can do) + much better drivers etc is pretty clear cut.

Oooo zero did you volt mod it yourself? ( the 680 that is?) and was it hard? either way i dont think ill do it, rather just wait for 2.2.3, but im just interested either way :p

alo yer ED i was reading about the power management chip, im pretty sure most of the 670's with 680 pcbs have it. I'll try and dig out the thread i was reading.

Been reading up on the GK110 GPU chip. I thinks it's going to stay on the non-gaming side.

So, I'll be beginning to look at a new build (on air hopefully) for an October build date. My wifes PC is old and slow, and she wants my leftovers.

Probably a 690, wish they had a 4gb per chip or do they?

Been reading up on the GK110 GPU chip. I thinks it's going to stay on the non-gaming side.

So, I'll be beginning to look at a new build (on air hopefully) for an October build date. My wifes PC is old and slow, and she wants my leftovers.

Probably a 690, wish they had a 4gb per chip or do they?

I havent seen a 4gb per chip 690 :( that would be a beast. I dont know what i would prefer a 690 or 2 680s. Hmmm decisions. thats a shame that the gk110's are going to stay on the non gaming side. I suppose its a smart move by nvidia though. by the time AMD have a response to the 6XX's then i suppose nvidia will have another lineup ready. :shrug:

nice review :thup:
I would probably buy one but I already got HD7970 Lightning mainly because I saw starting price for GTX680 Lightning in Europe ...

I havent seen a 4gb per chip 690 :( that would be a beast. I dont know what i would prefer a 690 or 2 680s. Hmmm decisions. thats a shame that the gk110's are going to stay on the non gaming side. I suppose its a smart move by nvidia though. by the time AMD have a response to the 6XX's then i suppose nvidia will have another lineup ready. :shrug:

I can't say the GK110 isn't going to be, but we have heard nothing since the new cards came out, I did find two references that it's a great computatiional chip and might stay that way.

overall, I remain disappointed the afterburner 2.2.3 is still not out..

I will like it more when I see the final OC results. :)

overall, I remain disappointed the afterburner 2.2.3 is still not out..

I will like it more when I see the final OC results. :)

ditto, they should have released it with this card. Wt numpties. i dont think its too far away though *crosses fingers* cant wait to clock my 670 past 1400, will probably hit the magic 11k mark in 3dmark11 :D

MSI AB 2.2.3 is supposed to be able to push past the 1.175 voltage limit that is on most cards. This will not work on every card though as some do not have the power management chip like this card does. Thats all the information on that I can share though.

@ Conundrum - The GK110 question was answered properly to my knowledge. Supposedly its later this year, but that is still a rumor.

EDIT: Thank you for the kind words regarding the review. :)

I don't want to bum everyone out but here is a e mail from my MSI contact on the AB

the developer is currently on vacation.
According to the source from guru3d forum, he will update it when he returns on Aug therefore we don't know when exactly.

Sincerely,
Warner

Also I havn't received the total unlocked bios from MSI yet so the best you can do with the LN2 on board bios is 1.21v to the GPU good for 1300+ or so if you have a good chip.

Looks like we will be in the dark for another few weeks unless you want to hard mod the card

Thats not the reason I was told.. which was straight from MSI (I am unable to share this reason however.. sorry). That may be part of it, who knows, but that wasnt the main reason the last time I talked to MSI. ;)

All Im saying is I received that e mail yesterday after my contact relayed to HQ for the AB-X which I have a signed a NDA on file w MSI and up till now I have everything for the 7970's including the unlocked special bios, I trust my source highly especially since he knows I will be attempting records soon w IMOG, shipping all my equiptment there for AUG 2nd through AUG 5th :). I was told to sit tight.

Back