• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Mushkin is well known for their high-performance RAM, especially in the DDR2 days. It is lesser known, that their products are still assembled in the United States and that they have American customer support. Today, we’re not looking at their RAM though, because they have stepped into the world of SSDs. Their Chronos SSD is based off of the widely used SandForce 2281 controller. Who wants to see how it trades punches with the top dogs?

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first review! Hope y'all like it!

And Archer, I love this thing. Cheap AND fast, can't beat that!

That is too in-depth of the workings for me to know/understand. Can anyone else give an explanation on why?

This article at [H] explains it pretty well. A few pages in to the article they fill the testing samples at 50% and show the decrease in performance.

This article at [H] explains it pretty well. A few pages in to the article they fill the testing samples at 50% and show the decrease in performance.
There is nothing in that article that shows that Asynchronous NAND slows down as it fills up. What they do show is that a SandForce based drive with Asynchronous NAND slows down more when it fills up than a SandForce based drive with Synchronous NAND. Going from that to thinking that Asynchronous NAND iself slows down is quite a leap. I would think it is more a reflection on the nature of the SandForce controller.

I hear what you are saying, it would have been nice if they had run the same benchmarks again with the drives at 50% capacity..... then we could at least compare.

It shows very clearly that asynchronous slows down more than synchronous, but the slow down for synchronous is close enough to zero that its not perceptible to a human in most times where the slow for asynchronous is.

I had a 60GB version for my main system drive and a 120GB for games. I love the performance of these drives. Too bad the 60GB drive died after 100 days. Mushkins support has been silent for weeks after I inquired about the warranty which is supposed to cover it for 3 years.

Review looks good for me! No idea about the (a)sync NAND differences.

Just a thing I'd add (because we all like this kind of things) would be a picture of the innards. It's like n0rp for us enthusiasts, but I understand that you're not going to void the warranty of your Chronos!

Keep up the good work!:thup:

Review looks good for me! No idea about the (a)sync NAND differences.

Just a thing I'd add (because we all like this kind of things) would be a picture of the innards. It's like n0rp for us enthusiasts, but I understand that you're not going to void the warranty of your Chronos!

Keep up the good work!:thup:

If it was one that came to me for a review, I wouldn't hesitate to do that. Being my personal one, I like the warranty :)

love my chronos it runs way better then my vertex3 did and 0 problems with it so far.

Been waiting for a SSD to pick up, I've been so on edge about it. Thanks for the review just picked up two.

Awesome dude! Post up how the RAID goes!

love my chronos it runs way better then my vertex3 did and 0 problems with it so far.

I've actually heard that a decent amount. The issues with the V3 pushed me toward this one, and it was a good push.

Well I have ADATA, OCZ and Mushkin. Funny thing is after I bought the first Mushkin I had to have another. I really do not know why though all I ever use them for is benching in raid 0:) Wicked fast but... useless on my main rig.

Back