• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If the drive goes from Performance Mode to Standard Mode when half full, wouldn't it make more sense to benchmark it at least half full then? I mean, how many people buy an SSD and leave it half empty?

If the drive goes from Performance Mode to Standard Mode when half full, wouldn't it make more sense to benchmark it at least half full then? I mean, how many people buy an SSD and leave it half empty?

Agreed, but the performance in that mode is like the pre-1.4 firmware performance, which has been well documented (and as such I didn't re-bench it there). I linked to Anand's original review showing that firmware's performance. I'm happy to do it though. Unfortunately I'm swamped right now, but I'll try to get to it within the next couple of weeks. :salute:

Twenty bucks off; not bad! I like how they adjust their retail prices to make deals seem better than they are. Yesterday this drive was $209.99 with free shipping. Now its "was" price is listed as $249.99. Sneaky Newegg. Not that anyone else is any better...Amazon does that and more, as do every retailer. I just happened to notice this time.

Nice review!

Sadly, one of the things that I'd like to see is impossible to rreview I think, and it's the life expectancy and reliability of the drive, but great read either way! :thup:

If it wasn't because I still hate you 'til the NDA of that white box is lifted :rofl:.

FWIW, I do use all of the drives I review in my daily driver from the time I review them until such time as the next one pops up and needs to go in. That way all of the drives are put through the ringer in a daily use situation for an extended period.

Thus, the Vertex 3 Max IOPS has been in constant use -that machine doesn't turn off unless it's storming- since December, 2011. It hasn't ever given me a problem. When I rebuild the system for a case review, i'll put the Vertex 4 in there and test longevity. If a drive ever fails the longevity test, you can rest assured I'll bring it to our readers' attention. :thup:

Nice writeup Hokie, I just recently put a 256GB V4 in my laptop. Didn't know about the multiple modes.

Edit: Just updated to FW. 1.5

Last edited:
FWIW, I do use all of the drives I review in my daily driver from the time I review them until such time as the next one pops up and needs to go in. That way all of the drives are put through the ringer in a daily use situation for an extended period.

Thus, the Vertex 3 Max IOPS has been in constant use -that machine doesn't turn off unless it's storming- since December, 2011. It hasn't ever given me a problem. When I rebuild the system for a case review, i'll put the Vertex 4 in there and test longevity. If a drive ever fails the longevity test, you can rest assured I'll bring it to our readers' attention. :thup:

Now, that's a new thing I didn't know that makes me love OCF even more.

OCF. You're still in hate zone 'til that 660Ti/whateveritis hits the FP. :p (jk)

Just for the record, I've never said anything even remotely close to a model number or even what type of component was under the white box to which you're referring. I was just posting a white box to be cool like Bobnova. :salute:

Yea, yea, I know, but there're rumors of that being a 660Ti. :3!
Not that you said anything or that we're absolutely sure, but we want to think that it'll be a 660Ti for OCF's FP.

Hi, in the ATTO disk read can't we say we hit the sata 3 limit right there ?

Thus, the Vertex 3 Max IOPS has been in constant use -that machine doesn't turn off unless it's storming- since December, 2011. It hasn't ever given me a problem.

I use a V3 MIOPS and I absolutely love it. I don't think I would exchange it for a V4. The V4 may have nicer AS SSD scores but in all reviews I've read, the V3 MIOPS beats the V4 in almost all benchmarks. Don't know why.

Not quite. Theoretical max is 600MB/s, so we've got a little ways to go before getting there.
The 600MB/s is with SI prefixes, ie 600 000 000 B/s. As far as I know the k in ATTO is is binary prefixes, or 1024 B. While we are still not quite hitting the limit of SATAIII it is close enough that I wouldn't be surprised if, due to overhead and slight variations in timings and whatnot, we might actually be hitting the limit of the Intel SATAIII controller.

I was saying this cause I read somewhere that the actual speed was closer to 530-540MB/s.

Anyooh that's a nice SSD. Would you guy's recommend it over any SSD out there?

Geez the price drop down drastically I remember paying a Vertex 3 for 240$ a year ago.

Back