• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A 680 GTX should be good enough for everything (up to 4k) , not for "most things". I would never get a 680 GTX with 2 GB RAM, because in some years it can be limiting on many software (except 1080P is used and nothing higher). 3-4 GB or nothing.
assuming the same res, you will NEED to upgrade your gpu before 2gb isn't enough (single monitor).

Hokie> That is a great review, I'm looking to upgrade my graphics in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking that a 7970 would be a nice step up from my pair of 5870's.
I was just wondering what your personal thoughts are as to where this ASUS card stands compared to the rest of them out there, including the Ghz Editions?
Does it deserve the title of "Flagship"?

It doesn't use a GHz edition GPU, but direct from AMD the GHz chips are no higher binned than the regular HD 7970 GPUs. Frankly, the way the HD 7970 overclocks in general, it's not necessary anyway. Every single one of 'em will do a GHz and not think twice.

Anyway, for right now, yes, it deserves the Flagship title. However, I'm told that the Matrix is coming, possibly by October but they didn't give a hard date. That one will be the flagship at that point. That said, the features it will bring - it will have a GHz edition GPU, but as mentioned, that doesn't really mean much; it will also have memory voltage control and allow you to hook up the GPU HotWire via plugs without soldering, much like the voltage read point difference between the Formula & Extreme boards and some things I don't yet know about I'm sure - will be geared toward extreme overclockers. Depending on the Matrix's price, the DCUII TOP may still the choice for ambient overclockers. Time will tell. :)

Since the "TOP" version of this card isn't out yet, what would be the disadvantage of buying the standard version that's currently available.

-Rodger

For most people.. nothing. Grab this and save a few dollars for no gain is my suggestion. The TOP, and heck even this one, is more for extreme overclocking IMO.

For most people.. nothing. Grab this and save a few dollars for no gain is my suggestion. The TOP, and heck even this one, is more for extreme overclocking IMO.
Are you saying the card tested by hokie is the same card available at newegg right now? There must be some difference between the "TOP" version and the normal ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II.

I need to re-read hokies review a bit slower and see if it itemizes any difference between the 2.

-Rodger

OK, read it again. I don't see any direct references back to the HD7950-DC2-3GD5. which I can buy at newegg right now, except in the last paragraph where hokie does speak a bit comparatively about the 2 cards. I seems the only real difference would be the "TOP" version has been a bit more overclocked in the GPU and memory departments. If there is any actual hardware difference, it would be very good if someone would say so. If this is the case, and there isn't any hardware difference, I guess buying one now would not be much different then buying the "T" version later. Since I do need to get on this new build, it would be nice if I could just buy with confidence the card available at newegg right now.

Sure would like it if hokie would say if this is the case or not. It would help me for sure to make the right decision. Hint, hint.

-Rodger

I believe the VGA hotwire and likely a stock overclock are likely the two big parts, posting front phone though so not 100% sure.

Sorry, I haven't been at a PC to post. The one on Newegg has reference HD 7970 clocks. I haven't seen its PCB, so I can't say whether it's the same throughout as the TOP, but I wouldn't imagine there are many physical differences. However, the TOP GPUs are binned for the stock clocks, so in theory they will ultimately clock higher. It's because of the binning they aren't in stock as often as reference-clocked models.

Oh, then there is some hardware that's different. If this is the case, then I maybe need to wait on the Model "T" (hehe) to put-put over.

-Rodger

binning isnt a hardware thing. I believe he mentioned he doesnt know if there are hardware differences.

The point is, even with your goal of getting an 'unlocked card', the differences between the two are something you will not notice. Hokie is spot on that they bin the higher clocked cards TO THOSE CLOCKS. Anything over that however is all a crapshoot be it on the TOP or the regular DCUII. Like I said before, get the cheaper one of those two. :)

That was strange...

My last post (previous post to this one) was in response to Janus67's post about hotwire being on the TOP and not on the standard card. Hokie's post after that was not up yet, or somehow my eyes didn't see it.

Anyway, I guess I need to either find someone with the standard card or closeup photos of it, to see if those solider points are there or not. If it's a case of having or not having hotwire connects, I'd rather wait a bit for them as I have used ROG connect alot on both the Crosshair IV Extreme and on this Crosshair V Formula-Z board. It does help fine tune overclocks, so to add GPU fine tuning via ROC may indeed be a help also. Wouldn't know if I don't have it to try. So, I'd like to have that option.

-Rodger

hehe Niiice!

I am maybe about to win a 7950 version of this card on ebay with some luck today

Hope you have fun with yours when you get it ^^

hehe, will be finding out soon enough how this really is, I got lucky and won the cheapest new 7950 on ebay UK so far of any type :D

Got it for £195 + £10 shipping
We get stiffed here in the UK so the dollar price won't sound so sweet perhaps : USD $308.36 + $16.23

Cheapest other (if is a real company - looks odd) real price here online is £239.90 - $389.35 with free delivery... maybe doing stuff cheap as is a new company making a name for itself.

Anyways, didn't think I would win and pretty happy :)

hehe, will be finding out soon enough how this really is, I got lucky and won the cheapest new 7950 on ebay UK so far of any type :D

Got it for £195 + £10 shipping
We get stiffed here in the UK so the dollar price won't sound so sweet perhaps : USD $308.36 + $16.23

Cheapest other (if is a real company - looks odd) real price here online is £239.90 - $389.35 with free delivery... maybe doing stuff cheap as is a new company making a name for itself.

Anyways, didn't think I would win and pretty happy :)

Cracking deal for a 7950 :thup:

Damn, but sound test graphs just do not show how things really are do they...
Have a look / listen to this roundup of popular cooler designs:

Tom's 7950 roundup

Though I really like the HS 7950 IceQ Turbo design (pushes heat out the back of the PC) and is Really effective - it sounds terrible

Possibly Best sound goes to this Asus Direct CUII TOP card - About the quietest (with a good sound) and coolest design

The TwinFrozr II was a terrible letdown, has had a special place in my mind for some time... until I heard it just now :rain:
and is not even that quiet on the DB meter

Just thought I would add another little something there

1st off, the card reviewed above is the newer revision of that cooler with 6 heatpipes (if Asus indeed changed the cooler on the 7970) so the rest does not apply to This card - hopefully, probably, maybe...

As you know I just ordered the 7950 Direct CUII TOP version of this card and in anticipation of its arrival have been doing a little more reading ^^

but Seems some people have been having problems with this card crashing after a short time of use (including lots of folks with the above reviewed 7970) like 10mins to an hour of gaming. Sometimes after the crash the card is dead or requires CMOS resets to get back to windows - sounds unlikely but this last CMOS part comes from newegg users. After the crash they often get artifacting that does not go away etc and end up RMAing...

Turns out there is something to this:

Asus HD 7950 DirectCU II: fault report!

I have seen the loose cooler thing reported by a number of users and is not the 1st time I have heard that the 4 retaining screws do not apply enough pressure on this card - and a suggestion of using some kind of thin spacer under the screws to help apply more pressure.

Basically it says after the card heats up the TIM while gaming etc, this softens it and then the cooler comes partly away form the GPU causing it to overheat to 118c (as detected by thermal camera on the back of the card) or so and crash!
But the cards temp probes do not report the increased temps sadly - probably due to their location closer to the area of heatsink still loosely touching the GPU core.

I believe Asus stopped supplying the original 5 heatpipe 7950 version of this card around June or July and have recently replaced it with their new "upgraded" 6 heatpipe cooler... calling it an upgrade and not mentioning fixing of any issues on the original card.

Pretty sad really, as this could still affect many users out there like say if they move the PC for a LAN or something.

Will find out in a day or so which version I get. Well at least I know to watch out for this problem and can avoid damaging my card with the 1st game I play.

Hope this helps some of you guys avoid an issue also.
Apart from this, its perhaps one of the best versions of this card about - just wish it came with more games like most others do :)

Back