• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice review , looks like this mb would supply many hours of tweaking fun. Only wish i had to $ to update my old 775 system to somthing like this .

Great review

Not trying to be step on toes but I just feel that the Vrm heat sink on this bord is garbage in every way you look at it. For those who normally buy these boards and water cool I think they are still going to fork over the $100+ for an aftermarket better performing better looking block. Then there are those running 1/2 in. If they ran 1/2 because they thought that was the least restrictive they won't be happy downsizing all a sudden. The reviewer is dead on with it should have been g1/4. Even with g1/4 I think this block is made for the guy who water cools his CPU but not his Vrm (me) but since he already has a WC setup this is an easy hook-up. Problem is that I buy $200 boards not $300 so this would have been sweet on my sabertooth 990fx or my p8v68-v.

I hope this block gets introduced to the next chipsets $200 line where it belongs. They can include it with the higher end boards but all out means all out and that heat sink is not all out.

Edit...
The reason I say all out is because to me boards like this are all out no stops I just feel that they didn't think pull out the stops when they built that heat sink. It would be cool to see a WC heat pipe in the chipset hs as well

I have this board and I love it, the is alot of features, maybe too many... But ease of use is great, unfortunately I went from a blue set up to this, so now I'm going to have to replace some fans to keep everything looking good. As far as the WC'd northbridge, i don't have to put a high voltage to get my OC so it seems fine for now.

Back