• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA Says No to Voltage Control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FWIW, I do not think MSI was "cheating". They just weren't doing what NVIDIA told them to do. Others were. I think they were doing consumers a favor, assuming it didn't cause problems, which it apparently could.

Perhaps I do not understand how warranty's work within companies...This excerpt was from the article Hokie linked a few posts up:

Why is MSI changing the voltage a problem for Nvidia? Does MSI get a kickback from NV for returning bad cards? I mean, I see this as MSI should shoulder the cost of making that change, not NV.
That is a good point. I was under the impression that nVidia designed the chip and the reference board, but didn't actually build or distribute them. Maybe this is a reputation thing?

So, summing this thread up, nVidia has just lost 10 potential enthusiast customers (for now) due to their new policy.

Oh, just wait until this escalates...
Did it though? Considering 99.99% of users likely dont have a problem with it? How many benchers are there (The only group this affects)? I mean from a stock 1006Mhz to mid 1200's on average for air overclocks. Its nothing to shake a stick at. Perhaps 1300Mhz is in the cards with more voltage, but to what end? We all know the Ghz edition + new AMD drivers = the 680 and 7970 trading blows. The only reason the 7970 wins hands down is when its overclocked past a 680.

AMD goes to 1.2v(right?) and also end up on average mid 1200Mhz range. With 1.3v would it see 1300+? To what end there?

Why is MSI changing the voltage a problem for Nvidia? Does MSI get a kickback from NV for returning bad cards? I mean, I see this as MSI should shoulder the cost of making that change, not NV.

I would agree totally with that. I'm assuming cranking up the voltage though does lead to possible frying of the chipset, which is where MSI looks to Nividia. It would be better if Nividia just sold the chips outright with no warranty to 2nd parties, leaving the 2nd party to do as they please and suffer the consequences, but then, I doubt companies like MSI would dare buy from them "as is", leaving them in the dark even when it has nothing to do with adding more voltage should a chip fail.

I've seen a few builds by non-benchers that were using EVBots, for whatever that is worth.

But aren't we the trendsetters? Granted, we're a small subset. But if you want to see what a GPU is truly capable of. What it can do with no limitations at all; where do you look? Extreme overclockers and/or web sites that show off what GPUs are capable of. Sure, most people won't take advantage as you say, but the end is showing off. Showing that you're better than the other guy dangit and you'll do what it takes to get there.

As it stands, for the 99%, with the tools they have available, the overclocked HD 7970 is better than the overclocked GTX 680 simply as a result of these limitations. If they'd give voltage control (and the GPU can take it, which might well be the problem here; I don't know), the GTX 680 could be better.

I agree with you 100% Hokie...

Signed,

Devil's Advocate. ;)

I've seen a few builds by non-benchers that were using EVBots, for whatever that is worth.
All I can say about that is... :bang head. I bet they had an X79 build with a 3820 too... :p. GAH the irony kills meh! :rofl:

Yes... But they are doing it for no purpose other than to have more toys on their table.

Anddd... If they are truly using the EVBot for what it was DESIGNED for and doing so under air or water cooling... They are idiots and deserve to fry their cards and be out $600.

agree hokie these few guys are the ones who do the reviews that everyone reads and gets their facts from right? :p

All I can say about that is... :bang head. I bet they had an X79 build with a 3820 too... :p. GAH the irony kills meh! :rofl:

Not me, I'm all STOCK, just like PRO STOCK on the race car scene:p

I guess that makes me the ideal Nividia customer, and target audience.
I see comparisons between the 7970 and 680, but what about the 690?
Lets do a comparison of Nividia's and AMD's flagship cards and see who comes out on top. I'm talking best of the best here, with comparable specs such as the same VRam, etc.

I'd be curious to know if that 680 you're running has the EVbot connected:D

EDIT: I'd also be curious to know what percentage of Nivida sales is related to OCF members. 10%?, 20%?, 50%?

PRO stock are HIGHLY modded in the 'race car scene' FYI.

The 690 has nothing to compare to this second.. its a dual GPU card vs single GPU 7970 (I suppose 2 7970's vs one 690 is valid). The 7990 is supposed to come out soon? Perhaps then it would be a more like comparison.

My 680 CANT have an Evbot because its not an EVGA brand 680. ;)

Im just not sure what that has to do with this thread though...LOL! I think we are a bit off the path here. :)

EDIT: I'd also be curious to know what percentage of Nivida sales is related to OCF members. 10%?, 20%?, 50%?
Id imagine WELL less than .001%...not that many members here compared to other sites, and between ALL sites, OEM's rule. That number is WAY WAY WAY smaller than you think.

Last edited:
What percentage of Nvidia sales are OCF, or what percentage of OCF people buy Nvidia?

I run an nvidia daily, a 660ti I was sent for review.
It replaced (for 24/7 stuff) a GTX580 I bought (used) for benching purposes, as it's the top card for 3d01.

EDIT:
I wouldn't say Pro Mod is modified in the slightest. Every piece in that thing is specifically built for racing, there's no "stock" there to start with :p

Not me, I'm all STOCK, just like PRO STOCK on the race car scene:p

I guess that makes me the ideal Nividia customer, and target audience.
I see comparisons between the 7970 and 680, but what about the 690?
Lets do a comparison of Nividia's and AMD's flagship cards and see who comes out on top. I'm talking best of the best here, with comparable specs such as the same VRam, etc.

I'd be curious to know if that 680 you're running has the EVbot connected:D

so the 7990 vs the 690? theyre actually prettymuch neck and neck but the 7990 seems to pull ahead for the most part @ 5760 x 1080
according to a couple benches out there but idk
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...rd-review-power-temps-noise-overclocking.html

ASUS cannot issue an official comment on whether GPU Hotwire will remain on their cards right now. What they will say that "ASUS currently is maintain[ing] channel availability of all of its current GeForce GTX series of cards."

Considering GPU Hotwire required soldering anyway and they're just blank solder points on the PCB (albeit very handily labeled), I think that might mean they plan on keeping it. Is that how you guys read that?

I read Nvidia as saying "Any voltage over X must require soldering".

My point is you don't buy a Pro Stock car at a dealership no more than you buy a custom build at a Bestbuy. Of course they're modded compared to dealership vehicles. duh.
No turbocharger (overclocking), nitros oxide (LN2), yet all engine. Just a metaphor.
A top fuel dragster would be more like your typically overclocked, water loop rig maxed out.
Yep, you baited me, hook, line, and sinker
Has a Nividia card ever been reviewed here? Like the latest 660Ti? or better yet, the 680?

My point is you don't buy a Pro Stock car at a dealership no more than you buy a custom build at a Bestbuy. Of course they're modded compared to dealership vehicles. duh.
No turbocharger (overclocking), nitros oxide (LN2), yet all engine. Just a metaphor.
A top fuel dragster would be more like your typically overclocked, water loop rig maxed out.
Yep, you baited me, hook, line, and sinker
Has a Nividia card ever been reviewed here? Like the latest 660Ti? or better yet, the 680?

.....yes? look on the front page? lol theres three of them. the super clock and direct cu and power edition
http://www.overclockers.com/asus-gtx-660-ti-directcu-top-graphics-card-review
top fuel dragster would be more like LN/2 not water.

Top fuel = CPUz benching on LN2. Maaaaybe SPI1M.

Lots of Nvidia reviews here. Plenty of AMD reviews too. OCF does pretty much everything.

There have been something like 365 million PCs sold worldwide so far this year (Gartner Research) of which most (this is a complete and total guess) are probably business desktops with on-board graphics chips. Another unknown but probably large number are Lenovo, Dell, HP, and who knows else's name brand with on-board graphics sold at Wally World or other. NV and ATI provide most of those. Willing to bet that less than .002% of the folks that buy these computers even know that it has a graphics chip, much less that it takes some amount of elecrical voltage to make it work.

My point is this. I don't think discrete graphics cards make up the kind of numbers, such as 365 million, that should get NV or ATI excited about in the big scheme of things. The point about bragging rights is valid. I'd think that any card manufacturer would like to see enthusiasts smoke 'em, bend 'em, and break 'em while doing a double back flip. And include it in pictures on the box. So why NV would limit an enthusiast's fun and potential seems to be a marketing mistake to me.

Certainly there are limits which a puff of smoke will certainly sort out. Kind of like any hobby that pushes the limits. Stuff breaks. What do they care ? They just sell another one. They actually don't have to honor any warranty related to abuse. Ask your insurance company about it the next time you try to jump the Grand Canyon in a stock mini-van; both they and the manufacturer will teil your widow it's not their problem. :blah:

Lots of Nvidia cards have been review here, although I believe they have all come from AIB partners, not from the mouth of the beast itself.

Back