• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA Says No to Voltage Control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What percentage of Nvidia sales are OCF, or what percentage of OCF people buy Nvidia?

Very simple question, as stated.

How can one hate Nividia so much when they've given you a $600 graphics card? I can certainly understand why you'd want to switch in the future though, as that is the direction I'm leaning towards as well come Christmas, when maybe I can get a 7970 on sale or some special.

Very simple question, as stated.

How can one hate Nividia so much when they've given you a $600 graphics card? I can certainly understand why you'd want to switch in the future though, as that is the direction I'm leaning towards as well come Christmas, when maybe I can get a 7970 on sale or some special.

they are given for non-bias reviews just cuz they give some one something doesnt mean they have to like them. i dont see where you are going with this.

Last edited:
Quite easily, really.

Even when you get to keep it you have to remain impartial. If the fact that they send you something sways your viewpoint you are a crap reviewer. It's as simple as that.
I really do not like Nvidia nor Nvidia's practices. The end for me was the GTX480's "launch" where the Head Dude held up a "Fermi" that was a chop-sawed PCB (right through some stickers) attached to a heatsink with wood screws. They haven't improved since then.
They make some fantastic cards, my personal feelings about the company doesn't change the fact that the 660Ti is a hell of a card.
If there's even the slightest hint that maybe we're biased we get jumped on by everybody for being a terrible reviewer.

To answer the previous question, as stated, maybe 0.00001%.

they are given for non opinionated reviews just cuz they give some one something doesnt mean they have to like them. i dont see where you are going with this.

Not what I asked, and the question was directed at Bobnova exclusively.
If you don't see, don't respond.

As a sidenote, the GTX660Ti that Gigabyte sent me retails for $300.
Nvidia hasn't sent me anything and is not likely to, they'd far prefer that it go to someone that will give it a biased review due to it being free :p

Not what I asked, and the question was directed at Bobnova exclusively.
If you don't see, don't respond.

if i dont see what. that is exactly what you asked how can you hate some one even after giving you free stuff which then would make them bias. how about you chill for a little while.

My point is this. I don't think discrete graphics cards make up the kind of numbers, such as 365 million, that should get NV or ATI excited about in the big scheme of things. The point about bragging rights is valid. I'd think that any card manufacturer would like to see enthusiasts smoke 'em, bend 'em, and break 'em while doing a double back flip. And include it in pictures on the box. So why NV would limit an enthusiast's fun and potential seems to be a marketing mistake to me.

Certainly there are limits which a puff of smoke will certainly sort out. Kind of like any hobby that pushes the limits. Stuff breaks. What do they care ? They just sell another one. They actually don't have to honor any warranty related to abuse. Ask your insurance company about it the next time you try to jump the Grand Canyon in a stock mini-van; both they and the manufacturer will teil your widow it's not their problem. :blah:

It all boils down to money and reputation IMO. Nividia has a great reputation for being one of the best in tech support, customer warranty claims, even when it might be the customer who abused the graphics card. Somewhere somethings gotta give, and rather than Nivida to stop honoring warranty claims, which would certainly affect their reputation, they shift the focus on product alteration ability where it prohibits and limits modification.

I'm sure Nividia also has a research and development department where they put cards through all sorts of stress tests and abuse to see what the limits are, and perhaps they'd rather not use that as a marketing ploy to encourage others to follow suit. They don't need consumers to do that for obvious reasons, that primarily being RMAs and profit loss. With electronics, it can often be hard to tell abuse from just plain ol failure. When someone drives off into the Grand Canyon, thats pretty obvious and intentional.:eek:

I see your point... but Nvidia doesnt sell cards to consumers anymore (do they? Look at newegg I dont see Nvidia brand cards.. if I missed it let me know _ I only looked at 680's). All this stuff you are talking about is from their AIB partners (Giga, evga, galaxy, msi, etc)... Thats what I asked originally is HOW does the warranty work from the AIB to Nvidia side? Do the AIB's get a kickback for any failed units? I would imagine not... but..........

AFAIK - You buy an XXXXXX brand card, you return the card to XXXXXX and they take the hit. Can someone in the know shed light on this?

Here's the way it works...

NVidia sells GPU Core to "X GPU CARD Manufacturer"...

X GPU CARD Manufacturer Puts said GPU Core on GPU card and sells to consumer.

GPU CARD Craps out...

X GPU Card Manufacturer looks card over upon return... If GPU CORE is found faulty... A note is sent to NVidia... You owe us one GPU Core.

Next shipment of stuff from NVidia comes with a credit for that faulty core on the bill.

ETA: This is the short version... AND... Note the difference between a GPU CORE... And a GPU CARD.

If Nividia were not taking a hit, it would seem logical to not bother with removing the EVbot and prohibiting voltage changes, discontinuing support for such practices, especially since they don't sell graphics cards to consumers! They'd have nothing to lose!

Nividia however, should take a page out of the Intel business model. That is, provide both overclocking capability chipsets (k models) and fixed models. That way, they satisfy all parties and don't find themselves losing market share down the road.

Yeah, not sure why I thought that looking g back. Thanks convicted for he clarity.

Regardless, makes sense to me to let the aib's float their own warranty on the cards they want to do that and absolve nvidia of all liability.

Hah, NVIDIA is clamping down across the board. Looks like MSI got caught trying to circumvent NVIDIA's restrictions too: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvolting-PowerEdition,news-40278.html . Different situation, same end result - reduced overclocking for the consumer.

I wonder what MSI will do with the one I have. Mine works now but what happens if it fails. I wonder if MSI will take the affected cards back and replace them with updated ones.

That will be at MSI's discretion. If they can repair it, great. If not, then the replacement is probably what you can expect unless they still have some originals in stock. As time passes on, the latter would be expected.

So much for a next generation MSI lightning w/Nividia. That will probably only be available in the AMD form.

I wonder what MSI will do with the one I have. Mine works now but what happens if it fails. I wonder if MSI will take the affected cards back and replace them with updated ones.

They will be replaced with whatever they have available.

this is madness

I overvolted my 1st 6950 in 2 games early on, but then stopped since I gained very little, then once I CFed I didn't need to OC

ATI all the way guys. Looking to build a new rig in an year or so. And, I'm pretty sure that I'll go with the next gen ATI's.
BTW, I have only used Nvidia, my whole life.

If they wanna mess with us our lives, we might as well mess with their goddamn lives. Just dont buy Nvidia anymore.

Hopes that the next gen AMD Radeons just leave the Nvidia card in the dust :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I can kind of sympathize with them on this. I work in a car parts place and it's annoying when people keep retuning defects that have obviously been abused like guys that try to use stock shocks and struts on lowered/lifted vehicles or taxi companies that warranty radiators once every couple months because they fail from being run 18 hours a day instead of maybe an hour a day like a normal person going to and from work once a day with a stop at the store here and there.

Nvidia has commented on the subject...

We contacted Nvidia for comment and received a response from their Senior PR Manager, Bryan Del Rizzo with the following,

"Green Light was created to help ensure that all of the GTX boards in the market all have great acoustics, temperatures, and mechanicals. This helps to ensure our GTX customers get the highest quality product that runs quiet, cool, and fits in their PC. GTX is a measureable brand, and Green Light is a promise to ensure that the brand remains as strong as possible by making sure the products brought to market meet our highest quality requirements.

Reducing RMAs has never been a focus of Green Light.

We support overvoltaging up to a limit on our products, but have a maximum reliability spec that is intended to protect the life of the product. We don’t want to see customers disappointed when their card dies in a year or two because the voltage was raised too high.

Regarding overvoltaging above our max spec, we offer AICs two choices:

· Ensure the GPU stays within our operating specs and have a full warranty from NVIDIA.

· Allow the GPU to be manually operated outside specs in which case NVIDIA provides no warranty.

We prefer AICs ensure the GPU stays within spec and encourage this through warranty support, but it’s ultimately up to the AIC what they want to do. Their choice does not affect allocation. And this has no bearing on the end user warranty provided by the AIC. It is simply a warranty between NVIDIA and the AIC.

With Green Light, we don’t really go out of the way to look for ways that AICs enable manual OV. As I stated, this isn’t the core purpose of the program. Yes, you’ve seen some cases of boards getting out into the market with OV features only to have them disabled later. This is due to the fact that AICs decided later that they would prefer to have a warranty. This is simply a choice the AICs each need to make for themselves. How, or when they make this decision, is entirely up to them.

With regards to your MSI comment below, we gave MSI the same choice I referenced above -- change their SW to disable OV above our reliability limit or not obtain a warranty. They simply chose to change their software in lieu of the warranty. Their choice. It is not ours to make, and we don’t influence them one way or the other.

In short, Green Light is an especially important program for a major, new product introduction like Kepler, where our AICs don’t have a lot of experience building and working with our new technologies, but also extends the flexibility to AICs who provide a design that can operate outside of the reliability limits of the board. And, if you look at the products in the market today, there is obviously evidence of differentiation. You only need to look at the large assortment of high quality Kepler boards available today, including standard and overclocked editions."

Source: Brightsideofnews

So it looks like the its the companies that are choosing to be in warranty with Nvidia and not sticking their neck out and supporting the returns themselves. Understandable from a business perspective. Well, I mean take that side and AIB's side and Im guessing the truth lay in the middle?

Last edited:
So it looks like the its the companies that are choosing to be in warranty with Nvidia and not sticking their neck out and supporting the returns themselves. Understandable from a business perspective. Well, I mean take that side and AIB's side and Im guessing the truth lay in the middle?

The proof is in the pudding. Nividia certainly does influence the AIBs and MSI by the simple tactic of money, in terms of warranty. No one wants to bite the bullet. I say one only has to boil it down to the source to see who is dictating policy. Really though, I can't imagine OVing accounts for huge amount of RMAs in the grand scheme of things, as I would tend to believe only a small portion of owners every bother to OV their cards.

Lets just hope this doesn't become a trend among all the super chip makers:shock:

What impact would that have on enthusiasts?

Back