• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Kool, thanks a lot, I DL'd them all from ASUS page cause I'd heard that some had different Volt caps.
Again thanks, now all I need is for cards to get back in the supply chain! :)

Ok, I've found a method to help. Did alot of searching and came across a way to unlock the clocks fully. Didn't do anything to unlock the GPU or memory voltages however. It showed it to unlock memory voltages, but Kombustor shows it doesn't work. Core Voltage is still 1300 mV at max.

Anyone else find any way to increase Core Voltage more then this???

-Rodger

You'll need the new GPU Tweak to further increase the GPU Vcore. The DCU II and DCU II TOP don't have memory voltage control.

EDIT - I will warn you though, I've got two 7970's right now and neither seem to like GPU Vcore > ~1.33V. Above that they start artifacting. So additional voltage over 1.3V may not help too much. FWIW.

Are you running a loop on those cards? I'm playing with afterburner settings while running Kombuster and see that Power Limit has the greatest effect overall on FPS. It also can raise VDDC Current up to 50% higher under full load. Gotta wonder if a good water loop will help VRM temperatures low enough to allow higher vcore and keep it stable.

Mine will be here Friday, so hope to test this myself shortly.

Didn't see any increases in vcore settings using GPU Tweak. You must have a trick up your sleeve is yours is allowing higher then 1.3v.

-Rodger

No, mine are on the ASUS coolers.

I've got a version of afterburner that isn't available on the ASUS site. I'm working to get it uploaded, but with it being over 15MB, there's a cumbersome process to get that done I'm sorry to say.

Biggest thing limiting higher clocks may actually be VRM temps. Even if I find higher vcore settings, VRM temps are already too high at over 100C under 100% load for 5+ minutes. The water loop I'll be installing most likely will help this significantly -- I hope. This is really a nice card regardless of the built-in locks I'm having to find ways to overcome.

-Rodger

No, mine are on the ASUS coolers.

I've got a version of afterburner that isn't available on the ASUS site. I'm working to get it uploaded, but with it being over 15MB, there's a cumbersome process to get that done I'm sorry to say.
Didn't see your last post before posting...

I have a server you can use if necessary. Can give you an FTP login of your own you can give a link to for downloads.

Let me know.

-Rodger

Glorious leader is on vacation. mbentley put it in queue (there's an odd system used by which we have to put things in queue to be acted on by iNet) so it shouldn't be more than a few days. Thanks for the offer marjamar, but I'd like to have it uploaded here for disbursement. :)

hokie>
I want to thank you for all the help you've given everybody concerning this card, it's been above and beyond, thanks again ! :)

Last edited:
Hey, found that Sapphire TRIXX will overclock VDDC to 1.5v. Don't see any of these overclocked voltages however in either HWMonitor or Kombustor. They both show max volts at 1.17. So, I don't even know if any of these overclocking programs are telling the truth. I guess I'd have to put a meter on the card itself to know for sure. That's hard given my setup and the tight space I have it in (see my avatar). Maybe when this goes into the Corsair 800 D over the weekend I'll check it with my meter.

-Rodger

It seems the voltage changes are being presented to the card. Couple of things point to this. Whatever the current VDDC voltage is set to in TRIXX, if I then open Afterburner, it will show that voltage setting in both the adjustment display and also in the hardware monitor. Interesting thing is, I have to click the afterburner icon 2 times for it to open. But when it is opened on the 2nd click, looking at the hardware monitor, the graph was already moving and shows that the voltage was dropped to msi's max voltage (1300mV) from whatever the voltage was set to in TRIXX.

I guess this means TRIXX is actually setting the vcore voltage to the current settings chosen, but afterburner will tune it down to 1300mV if it's higher then that.

Also found that the vcore volts are actually reading up to the TRIXX VDDC settings, but it's sporadic when viewed using TechPowerUp GPU-Z 0.6.4's Sensors Tab. This is shown while running Kombuster's "GPU Burn-in" Tab and "GPU burn-in test" button.

Just some more stuff to ponder.

-Rodger

I'm not 100% sure that those are changing the voltage. They shouldn't be able to anyway; DIGI+ is a proprietary voltage controller and only GPU Tweak should be able to change it.

I apologize for the time it is taking to get the file available. IMOG is back next week and things should go faster.

I'm doing upgrades now, so I won't be able to say more until I'm back up and running. Doing full custom water loop on the CPU and GPU. Parts from my existing system and new parts are going into an new Corsair Obsidian 800D. I'll upgrade my sig when it's all done and working. Hope to see this happen over the weekend. Depends if I have all the stuff and it's all good.

BTW hokie, don't sweat the time. You've been a great help and this review definitely swayed me (opened my eyes) towards the DCUII. I appreciate it.

-Rodger

Volt control

Excellent review, increasing voltage to 1.3V using GPU Tweak did it or had to connect to a ROG motherboard?, I could not get the version 2.2.1.4 and I tried msi afterburner and trixx and I could not increase the voltage. Asus Dcu2T HD7970 is an amazing card but very complicated to get the voltage control.
regards

Hokie>
Well after reading your review of the HD7950-DC2T-3GD5, I had a mission ! :)
It didn't take me long to find out that NOBODY had the card in stock, but I id manage to finally find one on EBay that was brand new and priced in line with and cheaper that most on line retailers ($479). I should have it no later than Thursday the 11th.
I just wanted to let you know that it's all your fault ! :)
I DL'd all the GPU Tweaks listed on ASUS page for the card but they don't have a 22,1,4 version listed so any further info you may have or stumble across, I would be beholden if you could pass it along
Again I want to thank you for the time and efforts you have already put in ! :)

Back