• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Excellent review, increasing voltage to 1.3V using GPU Tweak did it or had to connect to a ROG motherboard?, I could not get the version 2.2.1.4 and I tried msi afterburner and trixx and I could not increase the voltage. Asus Dcu2T HD7970 is an amazing card but very complicated to get the voltage control.
regards
You just use GPU Tweak, but you need the version we have. Still waiting for our admin to get back from vacation (next week) to push the upload live.
Hokie>
Well after reading your review of the HD7950-DC2T-3GD5, I had a mission ! :)
It didn't take me long to find out that NOBODY had the card in stock, but I id manage to finally find one on EBay that was brand new and priced in line with and cheaper that most on line retailers ($479). I should have it no later than Thursday the 11th.
I just wanted to let you know that it's all your fault ! :)
I DL'd all the GPU Tweaks listed on ASUS page for the card but they don't have a 22,1,4 version listed so any further info you may have or stumble across, I would be beholden if you could pass it along
Again I want to thank you for the time and efforts you have already put in ! :)
Hah, glad you found one! It's a solid card. You'll have 2.2.1.4 as soon as we can get the process completed. :thup:

Driver?

What driver did you used on the 7970 in this review?

Also, this is shocking news for me because many reviews from other site shows gtx 680 is faster than 7970 in Battlefield 3. Even the GHz edition. Is it because of the driver?

Nice review by the way.:thup:

Thanks!

I used the latest official driver at the time - 12.8. There are likely driver optimizations that come into play. Our review of the GTX 680 lightning was two months before this one, so there is the possibility of driver optimizations in the interim.

You're correct most of the time though; the stock GTX 680 trades blows with the stock-overclocked HD 7970. However, the HD 7970 has so much overclocking headroom it ends up coming out ahead pretty much everywhere.

One question. I`ve bought a 7970 dcu2 top , but when using gpu tweak (2.2.1.4 or older), my GPU Core Clock is maxed at 1125, i can`t go above that. What can I do ?
I`m using the 12.8 ati catalyst driver. Help please?

Last edited:
Hmm...I'm not sure; mine wasn't locked there. There is a workaround I've used with other cards though. It's quite annoying because of the proprietary voltage control, but you set voltage and power target to what you want in GPU Tweak, then set clocks via Afterburner.

Doesnt matter if I increase the voltage , the core clock speed stays the same at 1125 :(
I`ve uploaded a SS.

le: i`ve tried increasing gpu voltage and power target in gputweak, but in afterburner the gpu clock is the same, maxed at 1125.
le2: maybe i should flash a newer bios ?

Attachments

• 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 107
I`ve done that. But when I tried to put
UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

in there, nothing happpened, so i put 1. Then entered afterburner and a message similar to the above one appeared , pressed yes, and this is what afterburner looks now. i cannot modify any of those values. So it didint work. wtf is wrong with this gpu? why is it max locked at 1125?

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 106
That's incorrect for AB. You need to make the two lines look like:

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1

That works for me. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you. It's really a pain to use two programs to overclock, but that's the only workaround I know of at the moment. Thankfully you can set GPU Tweak's voltage up, apply, the minimize the thing and it only exists as an icon in your system tray.

What version of msi afterburner are you using ? i tried 2.2.4, 2.2.3 and the same result. Sliders get disabled and can`t move them, like in the picture above. I`ve done like you said.No luck. Maybe the fault is from the gpu bios or something ?

Hmm...I have no idea, I use the most recent version without issue (2.2.4). It should definitely work, I'm sorry to say I've no clue why it wouldn't. :shrug:

Could you be so kind and archive you afterburner and upload it ? Although i`m pretty sure my gpu is at fault. Don`t know why though :(

Then I don`t know what to do. I bought it cuz of it`s OC capability. I`m kinda disappointed :(

I don't blame you. I'm checking on this for you, give me a little while to see if I can find a solution (little while being potentially a couple of days, we'll see how it goes...I am checking though).

thank you very much for the link:thup:, I use the combination of GPU tweak and MSI AB, but the most I could run the 3DMark11 was @ GPU1190Mhz-MEM1647MHZ, is disappointing after seeing your result 1325MHZ-1700MHz .
I will continue trying different configurations but it seems difficult go further than this point for my card:-/.

I use to race 1/12th scale electric R/C cars about 20 years back. The best batteries I could find didn't even come close to those the sponsored drivers had. About a year into the sport, I started getting good at it and was approached by a team driver to maybe join up with their team. I thought about it and asked him why I should, and he handed my a fresh pack of Ni-cads and said this is some of the reason.

I charged those batteries and went on the next event. 8 minutes later, I won the race and my car was just as fast as it was at the beginning of the race.

The point here is, if you have 100's, 1000's, 10,000's of cards to pick the best ones from, who do you suppose gets some of the very best cards???

Don't fault hokie, he's only doing what he's suppose to do -- Show of ASUS's stuff. He does it quite well BTW.

-Rodger

Back