• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA Says No to Voltage Control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This isn't a new thing. It's a return to the old stuff.

I continue to remind everybody that there was no software voltage for Fermis over 1.21v if you didn't have the (very) special, restricted use, software.
Many generations didn't have any software voltage control at all!
Yes, absolutely.

However, (you knew that was coming, didn't you?) the scope of this discussion has gone beyond the reason this article was written in the first place - the removal of EVBot. EVBot != software voltage control. IIRC, you could exceed 1.21V with EVBot on a Fermi GPU, no?

Yes, software was mentioned but the reason this is upsetting (to me, anyway) is that they've forced removal of EVBot as an option. Well, that and EVGA is keeping the price the same.

I don't think Nvidia saw the EVBot coming on the fermi, they just locked the BIOS and left it at that. Assuming people wouldn't go over it I guess.
It could be said that there is software on the EVBot that interfaces with software on the GPU :D

I think that Nvidia forcing the removal of the EVBot is rather rude, I also think that EVGA leaving the price high is rather rude as well.

If we're believing Nvidia to an extent and believing that they really do warranty the cores they sell (lease?) to manufacturers this move makes sense to me. At least it makes sense if the Kepler core is very weak to sustained voltage.
It looks to me like Nvidia knows that the core will die if over-volted for any meaningful length of time and is trying to prevent that from happening. Ideally while hiding it.

Sounds like that...Mid range Kepler card rushed in, overvolted and overclocked from factory to keep up with AMD big dogs at the moment, till they could tweak and launch their leaky big kepler.

I really want to learn electronic soldering...
Jacob says you can't just solder an EVBot connector in the empty spot, then TiN does it and it works :facepalm:

Also, the GPU Flasher is awesome! No more EVGA EVBot supported mobo required for flashing :clap:

Jacob is PR, he can't say it because that's the company saying it. If TiN says it, he's an engineer helping out fellow enthusiasts who happens to work for EVGA. :p

It looks like nvidia was having a problem with warranties so they needed to save some money from what i've been reading. Sounds like it was a problem that needed to be solved.

+1 How can they blame the customer if they don't tell that they overclocked the card.

Last edited:
Back