• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Steiger Dynamics Unveils the LEET - Extreme HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

I posted this on the forum yesterday and it was just a tad premature, as there have been a couple changes to the release since that time (changes I'm proud to say were at least a little bit influenced by our esteemed editing team), so ignore my old post and read on!

Today we present to you a new company, Steiger Dynamics. They are bringing a whole new level of PC to home theaters.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I selflessly volunteer to take on the task of stress testing one of these systems to validate the 3 year warranty; I'll write up a review with pics at that time. PM me for shipping instructions. I know, I know, you can thank me in 3 years. :cool:

Glad to see they were able to put a better GPU in all the models since they are marketing this as a "power gaming" HTPC :thup:

I think it would be worth the extra $30 to put the 3770K back in the middle model. That could be a deal breaker for sales, especially since their niche seems to be enthusiasts. Also, if they would like to reduce cost further, then they could put less powerful PSUs in the base models since all the PSUs currently used are overkill for the hardware. Just more stuff to consider now or in the future :D

I like that they jumped up in the GPU department. And agree with Matt on getting the K series for the "Core" system (or at least an upgrade otion), and a lesser PSU on the "Pure" system.

THese days, a QUALITY 550W PSU (like they have in Seasonic) will handle ANY single GPU and CPU with heavy overclocking (example - on my daily driver I have a 3570K @ 4.5GHz and a 680 overclocked to 1270 boost and +300 on the ram and it doesnt break 410W at the wall, so around 350W actual). Perhaps offer an optional 750W model in case users would like to SLI/Crossfire. With that wattage, I ran 3770K @ 4.9GHz, 2 7970's @ 1200/1750 and hit 735W at the wall (so around 660W actual use).

These are really OP for HTPCs...
What does OP mean? Normally its Original Poster but, not sure it means that in this case.

Overpowered :D

For just an HTPC it is very OP, but it's supposed to be a gaming system too.

Yikes, I didn't even notice the missing "K" on there. That's disappointing to say the least. It makes the custom water cooling completely pointless. I thought motherboard & GPU were the only things they changed. Ouch.

Come to think of it, water cooling is already pointless in the base model...who needs to water cool a 3220....and who would pay two grand for a system with a 3220 + integrated GPU? As a "value" proposition, I think the mid-range is the best of the three. Trust me, in the review, I'll be going over every piece of hardware in the system they send to see how much cheaper it would be had I built it. My hope is that the labor-intensive install, absolutely premium case and premium part selection (i.e. AP-15 fans) plus some allocation for warranty will make it worth the price for those with that kind of cash to drop at once.

Also, agreed it's OP (new acronym for this old guy) for an HTPC, but it's perfect for a HTPC gaming system, which is where they're aiming these systems. :)

i can see it being maybe half the price tbh unless im way out of the "loop" on WC these days. :D

get a silverstone / lian li micro cubie lookin case cut a window in the top slap in some WC and stuff bam :D

In case everyone didnt know, they have a "configurator" to upgrade parts after selecting the base model. I just noticed they've added the 3770K to their configurator as an option for $30 more, so no issue with lower CPU in the base. I didn't check their configurator for that change before I posted. They could add lower wattage PSUs to the base and keep higher wattage PSUs as an option in case people want to select SLI configs from the GPU section.

Well, why speculate? Let's do the math for the Core system.

System
ASUS P8Z77-V - $189.99
i7 3770 - $299.99
8GB Corsair 1866 - $89.99 (Dom Platinum, which seems to be their choice)
EVGA GTX 660 - $229.99
120GB Corsair Neutron SSD - $139.99
660W SeasonicX Gold - $159.99
Blu-Ray / DVD Writer - $64.99
Win 8 - $69.99
Case (speculating here) - $300 Well, I was way off. I'm told the cost of the case + cabling is closer to $800!
AP-15 fans, 4 @ $15.99 - $63.96
Front panel reader - $40
Total parts - $2,148.88

Water loop (pricing from Sidewinder Computers)
Swiftech Apogee Drive II - $134.99
Swiftech MCR120-XP - $33.99
Swiftech MCR220-XP - $39.99
Tubing - Feser White, 5ft @ $2.49/ft - $12.45
Res (assuming there is one, just guessing at price) - $34.99
Compression & Rotary compression fittings, at least six if not eight (another guess, typically these are $9.99 to $15.99; we'll assume four rotary compression and four straight compression) - $103.92
Water Loop total - $360.33

Parts plus loop - $2,509.21

On top of that, you pay for the extensive install labor (with PSU wire customization, water loop install, overclocking & stress testing), warranty and they also have to make a profit. When looked at from that perspective, it's not too bad of a price.

People will get sticker shock before they realize what all goes into these things. Once looked at from that perspective, it seems like the price borders on reasonable.

Glad the K is in their configurator, thanks Matt!

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I am Martin, CTO of STEIGER DYNAMICS. I wanted to say thank you for the very constructive feedback we got from this forum. We really appreciate that.

I know that our sticker price seems to be a little high at first. However, we are pursuing an absolute no-compromise approach with our systems when it comes to component and build quality. We would never deliver a system which we wouldn't put into our own living room. That's our claim.

Unfortunately that brings along a couple of quite expensive components, like our solid aluminum case with screen which would retail for over $800. The custom cabling on top. I am also aware that a power supply with less output would be sufficient for our base systems and would bring the sticker price down. However, there is no fully modular PSUs with Gold standard and lower output (The Seasonic X-560 is discontinued). That means we couldn't go fully custom with our cables which again would be a compromise we are not willing to take. Also, 660W from the start will allow you to upgrade your system at any time. I believe with that in mind and - as stated by hokie - given the intense labor and warranty, our pricing is fair.

Hope I could mitigate some of your concerns and I'm happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Martin, it is nice to see a company that has the gumption, to put together a system with the type of quality the Leet system has. It seems as if a lot of companies these days just throw a system together with the cheapest parts they can find. I applaud the effort that is put into your HTPC.

Not to sound mean but what is the point of this on a forum where it is almost universally expected to build your own PC?

Although, people with deep pockets and shy minds might bite, like I used to be. Good competition for ibuypower, AVAdirect, XoticPC, DigitalStorm and all of those other PC-putter-togetherers.

honestly if I had the dough id buy it. unlike most OEM pc's it uses the same ( or at least same quality) parts I would use, it looks good and as hookie pointed out it really isn't badly priced when you break it down

Welcome to the madness that is OCF Martin. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

The case is just awesome. Not sure if you've thought about this; maybe you have, but one thing that would widen your target marked is if you sold the cases by themselves as well as doing pre-built units.

I know I am one of those that would rather put the components in myself than get it all done... For me; half the satisfaction of building a new computer is the few hours spend unpacking components and struggling to get the cable management done.

Just my 0.02.

PS: I just noticed that the link on the Buy Now button in the LEET features page.

parse-error.jpg

Seebs

Nice review! Solid setups for the liveing room, I like the cabinet they are housed in, very nice :thup:

As for price, Hokie is right!

Seems like everyone wants something for nothing.. bunch of tighties :clap:

I should have missed something about the use of an HTPC... six cores?? RAID 0 SSDs?? :shock: :screwy:

My htpc has 6 cores and raid 0 ssd :D

Not a review yet, just a press release and welcoming a newcomer to the market. :)

Speaking of, welcome to OCF Martin! :welcome:

Thanks for the warm welcome :thup:

And Thanks Seebs for the broken link - everything is fixed now and we'll be working on a better configurator description over the next days.

DESCRIPTION NO LONGER VALID?????

Anyone notice that the way these are described is now just an option?

"All system cables are single sleeved and custom-tailored to the chassis"

$99 Option (Is not standard/included at any price model level)

Not that the write up claims any high end cooling is included in the price it certainly eludes to it. All 3 systems priced w/ Corsair H60 (which I am sure they get for a steal).

Some of the options are priced very well with the consumer only paying the difference you would probably imagine if you build it yourself. Some of the prices (SSD) seem to be lower than what you would expect to pay.

The choice of RED HDDs is interesting. Not at all the wrong choice but I wonder if it is a price, heat, power usage, performance or network media serving that they had in mind when selecting the REDs as the only drive choice.

IMO Great price given the case they include.

If you went out and bought all the gear you'd be looking at ~$670 add $50 for the AP-15s your at ~$720 So $1080 for an amazing custom case, 7" LCD, Labor and shipping) at least $100 for shipping I would think. Plus you can throw in a second 120GB SSD for half the retail price.

Oh add $100 for the windowed case:-/

I wonder how well they would do if they sold the case separately as well.

Nice read

Back