• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD's Piledriver FX-8350 Gaming Comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

oc-piledriver-front-249x300.jpg

When we looked at the Piledriver CPU, we ran it with our standard CPU review HD 6970. However, our CPU review game and 3D benchmark suite is a bit long in the tooth. In an effort to keep our readers more well-informed, we went back to the drawing board to run our much more modern gaming suite (which we use in all GPU reviews) on a more modern, powerful GPU – the ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP.

... Return to article to continue reading.

A good overview though I'd feel it would be more thorough if it pointed out the big issue that fuels the often misguided AMD v. Intel arguments. Performance in games that are CPU bound via poor development. I'm speaking of games such as World of Tanks, X3 and Planetside 2 to name a few. Games where the raw single core power of processors such as the 3570 and 3770 result in AMD processors looking terrible. I'm not sure about Civilization 5 because I don't play it, but perhaps it's a good example of this as well.

Put more simply. AMD is using 8 cores to cumulatively do, and sometimes slightly better, than what Intel is doing with 4 cores. You guys use some fairly well made games for your benchmarking but what about the hoard of games where the AMD processors show their true weakness? Those games can open up near 50% performance gaps between 8350's and 3570's.

Either way, it's a good overview of why this issue is not what the ignorant majority like to suggest it is. :D

Agreed Hicksimus multi core chips have been out far too long for game developers to not be fully utilizing all cores available.

But that's the world as it is most don't utilize more than 2 cores let alone 8.

The amd chip is holding in there better than I thought it would.

But the performance per clock is still behind the intel curve by a fair margin.

Considering most 3770ks can hit at least 4.5ghz typically stopping in the 4.7-4.8 range things could get even more lopsided in a head to head.

3770K clocks are mentioned in the table up top and at least once in the article.

I dont see typos... what are you seeing specifically?

3770K clocks are listed in the chart listing the systems and in the conclusion (it's 4.0 GHz, the results were pulled from the 7970 DirectCUII review). It was only run at one speed.

What typos? I'll need some time (like not today) but I could go through and fix them.

Great article, I think this will be helpful for a lot of people. This shows how over powered/under utilized most HW is. The 3770k is clearly the better cpu but in day to day/real world use the is barely any gains.

Last edited:
I see like 4 different 8350 graphs and a single 3770k one...don't quite get it.

There is one 3770K result, run at 4.0 GHz. There are four FX-8350 results. The two immediately above the 3770K are stock & overclocked FX-8350 runs using the same driver as the 3770K (Catalyst 12.8), denoted as AMD FX-8350 and FX-8350 @ 4.9 GHz.

Then I thought there wasn't enough data and since AMD had recently released Catalyst 12.11, I ran those stock & overclocked to see what gains there were; those are the other two results. Those are denoted AMD FX-8350 - Cat 12.11 and FX-8350 @ 4.9 - 12.11

Great article, I think this will be helpful for a lot of people. This shows how over powered/under utilized most HW is. The 3770k is clearly the better cpu but in day to day/real world use the is barely any gains.
Thanks! ...and agreed. :thup:

Gotcha!

Thanks for clarifying. Kind of a compliment to the fx chip for the untrained eye...12.11 3770k results should be there too, but perhaps it was too much testing to be done?

I plan on doing that but will be lucky to get it done even this month. Wasn't worth holding the article that long. Honestly, if untrained eye actually reads the words that go with the graphs - especially the final thoughts - it would be difficult to come to that conclusion.

Last edited:
Yeah of course...I bet most folks would read it, if they cared about it.
If not, the standard fanboi might nitpick stuff and keep the tunnel vision anyhow.

Major props, most trustworthy cpu/gpu reviews are found here in my opinion.

Nice review.

Am I the only one that noticed that it says 'Intel Sandy Bridge' but it's an Ivy Bridge CPU in the first table?

What are you talking about? And before you answer, refresh the page. :p :clap:

Thanks for pointing that out... it should be corrected now.

Last edited:
What if you do a price/performance of the FX-8320? You can change the multiplier up to the FX-8350 frequency. With the 8320 the AMD price advantage would be greater.

What if you do a price/performance of the FX-8320? You can change the multiplier up to the FX-8350 frequency. With the 8320 the AMD price advantage would be greater.
True. That would be the same with any lesser chip with the same specs though. Not only that, you wouldn't be comparing flagship to flagship CPU's, so why not throw a 3570K in the mix to see how that does against the 8320/8350 in gaming. Seeing as how 4+ cores are not used and its IPC/clockspeed that rules, that should make the comparison even more interesting. ;)

In fact, I have a 3570K and will have a 7970 sitting in that machine soon enough, so maybe I will test and see what happens there...

Last edited:
True. That would be the same with any lesser chip with the same specs though. Not only that, you wouldn't be comparing flagship to flagship CPU's, so why not throw a 3570K in the mix to see how that does against the 8320/8350 in gaming. Seeing as how 4+ cores are not used and its IPC/clockspeed that rules, that should make the comparison even more interesting. ;)

In fact, I have a 3570K and will have a 7970 sitting in that machine soon enough, so maybe I will test and see what happens there...

The reason i ask if that here in NZ you can pick up an FX-8350 for around $290NZD, an FX-8320 for $250NZD and then Intel.

$460NZ for a 3770k. The price difference is quite huge = to go Intel it costs 60% more!

The 3570 non-k is about the same price as an FX-8350 but wheres the fun in a locked multiplier?

Would be interested in that as a benchmark - I'll keep my eye out on the news!

I always said "K" CPU. Its a $20 USD difference for non K to K CPU here so I imagine similar by you.. that said, the song remains the same in that the pricing is much closer with 3570K for gaming.

Back