• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Rosewill Silent Night 500 W Fanless Power Supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Silence is, as I've mentioned before, an absolute.
As far as I can tell, this thing is silent.

Nice review :thup:
Good to see that someone is making fanless 80+ platinum psus ... I wish to see it in 1kW version :D

Well... The tachyon doesn't run the fan till around 1kW if you're in a cold ambient. Does that count? :D

Quote Bobnova:

"Last, this unit does have functional SCP, though it appears to take the form of tripping the OPP sensing bits as it takes a bit (I’d guess 50-100 ms) to kick in. It works though, which is nice."

Could you elaborate what all this means? I don't know what SCP is and what you are talking about tripping the OPP what is all this stuff and what does it do?

troll caps are trolls lol

silent500-unit-output-whoops-300x87.jpg

silent500-guts-overview2sidewaysCap-300x266.jpg

im diggin it, would be nice in my htpc get that 850w xion turd out of there :p

Last edited:
You should be using a surge protector anyway, really.
My feelings on the matter vary daily, hence so does whether it lands in the cons :D

SCP is Short Circuit Protection, OPP is Over Power Protection.
Generally speaking SCP is part of OCP (Over Current Protection). First some definitions:

OPP: Over Power Protection, monitors the amount of power being drawn from the wall and shuts down if it is too high.

OCP: Over Current Protection, monitors a given rail (12v, 5v, 3.3v, or 12v1, 12v2, 12v3, 12v4, 5v, 3.3v for a PSU with four 12V rails.), shuts down if more current is drawn over that rail than is acceptable.

SCP: Short Circuit Protection. Watches for short circuits on a given rail, the easiest way to do this is just wait for the short circuit to trip the OCP of that rail. It can be done other ways as well. Under Voltage Protection for example.

A unit like the Tachyon which has an 80+ amp 12V rail it takes a very short circuit to trip OCP on the 12V rail, and just as short of a circuit to draw more than the allowed amount of power from the wall. As a result I was able to do some arc welding with it. Given a large enough single rail the 12V wires will melt before SCP/OCP/OPP trips, not useful.

A unit like the Silent Night has a much easier time of it. If I short the unit out and it shuts down instantly I feel that it is safe to assume it's SCP directly. If it takes a little bit longer, it's probably rail OCP or UVP. OCP measurements take a bit of time to make, likewise it takes a bit of time to drain the 12V filter caps to the point where UVP kicks in.
If it takes longer still I feel that the odds are it was OPP, to trip OPP you need to first drain the 12V caps enough that the regulation bits kick the voltage back up (drawing more current from the APFC bits and storage cap) and then drain the APFC cap enough that the APFC kicks things up a notch and draws more from the wall.
This doesn't exactly take a long time, but it takes more time than if the 12V bits shut things down.
I was able to get a nice violet sustained arc for 50-100ms on this unit before it shut down. The Tachyon I got one for closer to 300-400ms before there wasn't enough metal left to make a connection.

You should figure out a way to record the arcs so you can put them up for our viewing pleasure! :p

I don’t know whether to blame Rosewill or Newegg for the dubious English skills. Someone has them, though. Ideally that just means that the time and effort went into the PSU rather than marketing. I’d be OK with that."

I don't buy this at all, it just shows the ineptitude of Rosewill. It seems that SuperFlower has made them a nice PSU though! Rosewill is Chinese, and I must say that imho, it's rather amusing to see these Chinese companies flounder about when it comes to the professional appearance of their product.

Did anyone notice the Papyrus font used for the product name!?? I think there is a power point presentation at my middle school somewhere on dinosaurs that I did with that font. It certainly gave me some good amusement seeing that and then seeing that the actual electrical numbers are wrong on the box as well as the jacked marketing. The PSU is made totally of green material (depending on what color light is being cast on it) so that's awesome.

Hard to say, it was copied off Neweg as Rosewill didn't list them in the first place!

The ten amp number surprised me. Someone didn't even try on that one.

sff duty

This seems an ideal power supply for a SFF case with good airflow.
Silly comment on my part is many SFF cases are very tight internally.
The Power Supply lists 170mm in length.
Using the modular plugs what would be an estimate of the total internal length needed to "fit" the psu>
Or is this too case specific for a good answer?
Anyway, enjoyed the review.
Rosewill is listed as "based in City of Industry, California" with Shanghai and Taiwan offices. Is it now Chinese owned annd operated?
And is the "Chinese Company" in the article intended to indicate Mainland China or Taiwan? Or just primarily Chinese mainland produced products?

I have no idea what was being attempted with the Chinese bit. Last time I checked Rosewill was Newegg's house brand, Newegg is based in City of Industry, CA.

I'll measure the PSU and plugs and get back to you later today.

opps

Apologies. I "read" Rosewill is Chinese Company, but it is not in your article.
Another brain fade by self.
Will try to check comments before posting in future.
(now finding where that came from will nag me)

Back