• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC *** READ THIS FIRST ***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd check the link in my last post for differences, they use different pumps, radiators, resevoirs, and fans. Pretty much each kit has a variation in each component.

Distilled + biocide is the ideal coolant. Biocide keeps junk from growing in the water. Therefore, any coolants that are sold are generally regarded by those "in the know" as unnecessary - you'll pay more for no tangible benefits. They don't improve cooling capabilities, but they may help prevent corrosion if you are mixing metals, or help stop algae if you aren't using a biocide in your distilled water.

The article in the first post of this thread, answers that specific question exactly. Please refer to the section titled "fluids".

Can you start a thread dedicated to figuring this out? Just start a thread in the watercooling section, list which components are in your computer, and say something about what your goals are (temps, quietness, looks, etc), and what your budget is. Without knowing what you want, I can't tell you what to get.

There is no perfect kit for every person. Most people who aren't sure what they want to do get an all in one kit, because it is an easy way to get into water cooling without having to put things together themselves or select components.

Not to be a sticker, but i noticed an error.

In the Pumps section i noticed this.

You also can’t get get the liquid any closer to the pump than having the res mounted on top of it.

Just thought i would point that out to be fixed. Also, is this article updated at any time for changing hardware?

There hasn't been a ton of change really. There are newer individual items out, but the basic principles outlined remain the same. Thanks for pointing out the error, I'll take care of it.

I think the article content stands on its own very well still - focusing on the principles has kept it relevant despite changing parts.

A buyer's guide could be a good compliment, and we could link that from the article - as new WC buyer's guides are released, we could just keep updating the link. Buyers guide would just need to cover a few price ranges for high end, entry level, and AIO if anyone wants to work on an article like that we could help!

There hasn't been a ton of change really. There are newer individual items out, but the basic principles outlined remain the same. Thanks for pointing out the error, I'll take care of it.

Well the main change that ive noticed, and ive asked in another thread, is about the RAD's. I was looking into using 200mm Rads, but im not sure how i can scale that to fit with how many i need for the loop vs the 120's you outline in the article. Like, how large of a 120mm rad (.1, .2, .3) equals a 200mm? I would guess about 2?

Hopefully I have my information correct. If not, hopefully somebody will correct me :p

*ahem*

You would need to use the surface area of the radiator to make a comparison. For example, a 200.1 radiator would be 200mm x 200mm, whereas a 120.2 (240) rad would be 120mm x 240mm.

That said, this is a relative approximation, as fin density and rad thickness also factor into the equation. Not to mention the types of fans you'll be using.

Which brings me to my last point, static pressure. 200mm fans are designed to move air quietly, but they're not designed to have a high static pressure for the most part. For example, when an obstacle to the airflow is introduced (the radiator), a 120mm fan with high static pressure is able to overcome that obstacle and blow the air through the fins of the radiator. A fan with lower static pressure will not be able to push as much through and would be less effective at cooling using a radiator.

My suggestion, if your case has the holes for mounting 120mm or 140mm fans instead of the 200mm fan up top, is to use a 240 or a 280 radiator instead. You're not going to find many fans capable of the static pressure needed for a 200mm radiator IMO.

Well, you can use the area as a rough calculation to translate from how many 120's do I need to how many 200's do I need. A triple 120mm radiator has roughly 43,200 mm² of area. (120 x 360). A single 200mm rad (where are you seeing these? I'm unfamiliar with them...) is 40,000 mm² of area.

Remember though, 180mm fans aren't necessarily going to be as strong as 120mm fans. Don't confuse CFM (airflow) with static pressure. As an example, This Silverstone fan is rated at 100CFM, but only 0.98mmH2O. Where this Bitfenix fan is rated at 56CFM, but 1.24mmH2O. Thus a 200mm radiator won't necessarily cool as well as a 120 x 3 radiator.

EDIT - ....and I was ninja'ed.

Well, you can use the area as a rough calculation to translate from how many 120's do I need to how many 200's do I need. A triple 120mm radiator has roughly 43,200 mm² of area. (120 x 360). A single 200mm rad (where are you seeing these? I'm unfamiliar with them...) is 40,000 mm² of area.

Remember though, 180mm fans aren't necessarily going to be as strong as 120mm fans. Don't confuse CFM (airflow) with static pressure. As an example, This Silverstone fan is rated at 100CFM, but only 0.98mmH2O. Where this Bitfenix fan is rated at 56CFM, but 1.24mmH2O. Thus a 200mm radiator won't necessarily cool as well as a 120 x 3 radiator.

EDIT - ....and I was ninja'ed.

Here is one i was looking at for the top of my Haf-x

Dual 200mm (or 200.2)
Phobya Xtreme 400mm Radiator

And a single
Phobya Xtreme 200mm Radiator

as far as the pressure, it looks like they took the current fan market into consideration

This radiator is optimal for slow-spinning fans with a diameter of 180mm and more....
For a very low flow resistance of the parallel channels. Perfect for the slowly rotating huge fan of 180mm and 200mm.

The radiator is optimized in many ways depending how the marketing department wants to sell the rad. We never trust marketing gobbly-gook words.

What have you found with your Google skills that back up the marketing claim?

The radiator is optimized in many ways depending how the marketing department wants to sell the rad. We never trust marketing gobbly-gook words.

What have you found with your Google skills that back up the marketing claim?

Only thing ive found so far, is this youtube video of the unboxing. According to him (which im not sure how much weight we can put into his experience) the fin spacing is greater than that of a smaller rad like of a 120, which would indicate it is better for slower/lower pressure fans.

There is also the reviews on the site i linked, which, again isnt much. Basiclly, i dont think many people have the space for a 200mm (or dont trust the fans to cool them) and just stick with 120 size rads.

Great Guide!

Superb guide to help out the first timers, of which I count myself. Six months ago I took an interest in watercooling my 9 month old system. It was guides such as yours that helped me out big time. Bought an XSPC Beginners kit and haven't stopped upgrading since. Personally I think my HAF 932 would look a little crowded with a tube rez and pump on the floor which is why I've stayed with a bay rez. Thinkin' of goin' with a CaseLabs or XSPC Tower case for the room and maybe another rad. You can never have enough room, right? Anyway thanx for the great guide!

Thanks for the kind words GEAR. Sure looks like you made the most of your new knowledge, well done on your system!

Superb guide to help out the first timers, of which I count myself. Six months ago I took an interest in watercooling my 9 month old system. It was guides such as yours that helped me out big time. Bought an XSPC Beginners kit and haven't stopped upgrading since. Personally I think my HAF 932 would look a little crowded with a tube rez and pump on the floor which is why I've stayed with a bay rez. Thinkin' of goin' with a CaseLabs or XSPC Tower case for the room and maybe another rad. You can never have enough room, right? Anyway thanx for the great guide!

That.. is reeeally blue... lol! nice. Could we see the setup under normal lighting for more detail? :)

Thank you for the kind words, it's certainly a work in progress for sure. A bigger case would be nice for a little more bling but for this loop (3 Blocks) my temps are great (26-28c at idle) the HAF works great for a beginner. Changing out the black PSU cables for a blue set this week as I just built a system on air for my son using the HAF X case and he'll use the black set (same PSU). I'll have to re-sleeve a few light cables etc. by hand. thanks again and I hope the pic will give more detail.

Back