• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE HighPoint RocketCache 3240X8 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would this be of suitable use to someone wanting host a few VMs ?

I want to set up a test lab, partly to complete VCP certification and partly to emulate a server environment.

IOPS are usually the critical impeding factor.

Would the increase offered by this product be enough to sustain a few vms?

As I have the need to simulate ESX hosts and have multiple vm's on the go, including upgrade and patching scenario's, I need more space than what a single SSD can offer. Using 1 or 2 TB HD with SSD caching sounds interesting, but will it give me enough IOPS ?

Advice appreciated.

Personally, I've never run a VM before, so I'm unaware of the requirements you would need. With the RocketCache you get SSD-like IOPS with HDD capacity. The IOMeter data has 2MB Sequential and 4KB Random IOPS numbers for 1xSSD, 2xSSD RAID0, 1xSSD caching, and 2xSSD caching. Of course, the smaller the files the better the IOPS.

Thanks Boucher,

Excusing my ignorance on this matter, how would a SAS controller increase performance versus a PCI-E card like this.

If the PCI-E provides 6GBps throughput (I think that is correct) is that not reaching theoretical bus limitations?

Or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick on this one?

have to let some that know more than i explain.
but you can get the same perfomance but probably much better depending what raid config you use...of course more $

Back