• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA Introduces The GTX TITAN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pierre, you're not only driving this off topic, you're getting quite close to personal attacks. I'd highly recommend you tone it down.

I'm really interested to see the benches, and mainly the overclocked benches on this card. It sounds like it could be a pretty good overclocker with the voltage tweaking. I don't remember which site, but one got theirs to 1176 MHz on air and Tom's has hinted at running 3-way benches with GPU clock rates in excess of 1100 MHz. That's a 35% OC over the stock 876 MHz boost. That might actually put this thing ahead of or close to the 690.

I also wonder how well it will OC on water, or if it will be like the 600's where temps were far from the limiting factor on an overclock in most cases, rendering an expensive water setup relatively useless.

I would love to SLI a couple of these bad boys and attempt to run a 5760x1080 120hz 2d Lightboost setup, but I play BF3 a lot and as we know that game is so CPU bound. If I were to pull something like that off it would probably take a 3770K running at 5.2+ Ghz, and that would be ridiculous and probably impossible to find. It would still probably be CPU limited.

Someone tell me that Haswell's will be able to hit like 5.5 GHz to help drive this insane GPU power.....:drool:

I hinted at it in the article, but 876 MHz is a conservative number for stock boost. It runs well north of that. 1100 MHz isn't as large of a jump as it may seem at first.

AMD could do it exactly the same way Nvidia made the Titan. Picture a 280w TDP 3900 core AMD Zeus. Bye bye Titans.

This will likely lose to a 690, just count the cores. 2688 vs 3072.
What it won't have is microstutter or SLI compatibility
issues.
The thing is, I don't think AMD has anything close to this size. This is based off of existing HW (tesla) I don't think AMD has anything to draw from and in a year where they might not be releasing a standard line up it is unlikely they will make one.

But I could be wrong.

I hinted at it in the article, but 876 MHz is a conservative number for stock boost. It runs well north of that. 1100 MHz isn't as large of a jump as it may seem at first.

Yes you did sir. I am fidgeting in my chair thinking about putting this boss under water and the real performance that could be squeezed out of it, lol.

I know you probably won't/can't say much in this regard if you even have any information on it, but how likely would say it is that we will see variants of the Titan (aka FTW, Classified from EVGA, etc.), or can we pretty much expect a Hydro Copper version at most akin to the 690?

Truth is, I don't know the answer to that question. For right now, I'm relatively certain we can expect reference only models. There's no telling whether EVGA or ASUS will do anything extra with it down the line. With the (very) small market for a card at this price point, I'd expect the willingness to focus much extra engineering on it (as opposed to the GTX 680 / HD 7970, whose price can take a little increase due to customization) to be rather low.

NVIDIA can confidently say they'll have plenty to meet demand. Probably because there aren't all that many people that'll drop a grand on a GPU.

Also, temps will make a difference, but not a massive amount. You're still voltage limited. The voltage increase available isn't large by any stretch of the imagination. With a custom fan profile, temps stayed well under the temp target I set. The card crashes from too-high overclocks long before it reaches temps worth worrying about.

Pierre, you're not only driving this off topic, you're getting quite close to personal attacks. I'd highly recommend you tone it down.

Im sorry, will be done.

Never the less, it was said that this yearly dealine of having to push out new and better GPU's was putting a strain on both nvidia and AMD.

This card is non the less insane for a single GPU, i have even thought about selling my 2x 7970 and buying the Titan.

But the price of this card are just so high... So high that one could assume they have left it room to drop in price over the next 2 years?

From what I've heard from various (non-NDA) sources Nvidia has said "No non-reference!".
It makes sense when you consider that the silicon alone is probably $200.

Truth is, I don't know the answer to that question. For right now, I'm relatively certain we can expect reference only models. There's no telling whether EVGA or ASUS will do anything extra with it down the line. With the (very) small market for a card at this price point, I'd expect the willingness to focus much extra engineering on it (as opposed to the GTX 680 / HD 7970, whose price can take a little increase due to customization) to be rather low.

NVIDIA can confidently say they'll have plenty to meet demand. Probably because there aren't all that many people that'll drop a grand on a GPU.

Also, temps will make a difference, but not a massive amount. You're still voltage limited. The voltage increase available isn't large by any stretch of the imagination. With a custom fan profile, temps stayed well under the temp target I set. The card crashes from too-high overclocks long before it reaches temps worth worrying about.

That's kind of what I figured. In my experience with the 600's, water was good for another 20-30 MHz over air. I could make it through benches with my 3 670 FTW's at 1345/1345/1320 on water where I could only make it at 1320/1320/1306 on air. Just a drop from 65C (air) to 40C (water) increased the max "stable" clocks.

It looks like it will be similar on this Titan, except they do give you the option to increase the voltage slightly on your own. Basically, they're giving people the option to do the 1.2125V bios flash that was available on the 600's without voiding their warranty.

The only reason I asked about variants of the card is because it sounded like nVidia was leaving it up to the manufacturers on what the voltage limitations are. The Anand's article made it sound like EVGA, Asus, etc. could set the volt max wherever they wanted. I didn't know if a non reference version may come with a higher vmax than the reference card, but I suppose time is the only one with the answer.

If I can expect to put one under water and get at least near 690 performance with the beefed up memory sub-system then I can see spending $1K on it. We'll see what the OC'ed benches look like:bday:

I seriously doubt that. I expect that Nvidia has left them the option of turning off voltage control, or leaving it on.
Note the presence of the same daughterboard for the VRM as the 680 has. Betcha it has VID6/7 tied to ground just like the 680, locking it at the same 1.2175 max VID.

Anandtech let the cat out of the bag on available voltage. I erred on the side of caution about giving an actual number. Their max available voltage was the same as my max available voltage. The software "update" I received today changed the slider you see on Anandtech from an xxxx mV to 1200 mV slider to one that reads +0 mV to +xx mV (still erring on the side of caution :) ).

Just curious hokie, what do they do to you if you violate NDA? I mean, someone from nVidia themselves violated their own NDA by posting the graph with performance numbers on their website.

I'm sure it varies on degree of violation, but I've always just wondered because it seems the NDA's do a very good job of keeping a whole lot of people very quiet so the penalties must be somewhat severe.

Just curious hokie, what do they do to you if you violate NDA? I mean, someone from nVidia themselves violated their own NDA by posting the graph with performance numbers on their website.

I'm sure it varies on degree of violation, but I've always just wondered because it seems the NDA's do a very good job of keeping a whole lot of people very quiet so the penalties must be somewhat severe.

If you have a product before eveyone, lets say for reviews, and you publish your review before the NDA, the companie that sent your the product might just stop sending you any new product in the future.... so you'll have to wait for the real product release date to make your review, days after those who still have product before release date to prepare the review.

Titan... Since these companies seem to have a "liking" for mythological names...

Didn't the Titans get obliterated by the Olympians? And who are these Olympians you speak off? Well; since you asked. Zeus (Greek mythology) or Jupiter (Roman mythology) and their friends took down the Titans and then their offspring, among them Ares (Greek) aka Mars (Roman) went on to rule the world.

So this Titan thing won't beat the Ares II or the MARS III in anything. :) Perhaps only in being the "most expensive" card on a per-core basis. :)

Well, I suppose the worst thing that can happen really is that they stop sending you hardware, so you lose the ability to have zero-day reviews.

However, the main reason I'll never break an NDA (nor will anyone on this site) is that we gave our word. That still means something to some people and our writers and editors are proud to be in that category. We have never broken an NDA and don't plan on ever doing so.

That really depends on the NDA.
You sign an NDA, physically. It's not just a checkbox. It's a legal contract.
Most of them if you violate them you expose yourself to nice juicy lawsuits by the company you contracted to NDA with.

If I recall the last one I signed, they can go after me for many thousands, hundreds of thousands, of dollars. Plus of course I'd never get a sample from them again obviously, and likely wouldn't get any NDA samples from any other company either, as I'd have proven myself to not be trustworthy.

Well I can certainly appreciate honest people and commend you guys on being good for your word, something that is all too lost in today's society.

Bob, I figured there had to be some legal binding too it. Even though you guys are trustworthy, there is a mass of people that sign these NDA's and not all of them can be that trustworthy. I was just curious.

Can't wait for it to lift so we can get the true story and end all the speculation!

Titan... Since these companies seem to have a "liking" for mythological names...

Didn't the Titans get obliterated by the Olympians? And who are these Olympians you speak off? Well; since you asked. Zeus (Greek mythology) or Jupiter (Roman mythology) and their friends took down the Titans and then their offspring, among them Ares (Greek) aka Mars (Roman) went on to rule the world.

So this Titan thing won't beat the Ares II or the MARS III in anything. :) Perhaps only in being the "most expensive" card on a per-core basis. :)

Alas, I doubt AMD will go olympian and blow NV out of the water. I'd love to, though. I no longer have anything against AMD, as they're improving driver-wise on Linux.

Back