• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Logisys PS480X2 PSU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

We've got a dubious one here today folks! Logisys wouldn't dream of sending one of these things out for review, but Glorious Leader stepped up and threw down some cash to make it happen. This thing cost $14.50 shipped with tax, the big question is: Will it explode? If not, will it actually function well enough to run a computer safely? For answers to those questions and more, read the rest of the article!
... Return to article to continue reading.

finally! yay :D lol sad it didnt catch on fire, did you have a fire extinguisher on hand? i think you should start :)

This one was fun, not exactly sellable, but fun.

I spent some time upgrading the output bits with maybe $4 of capacitors and inductors. Unfortunately I put one of the caps in backwards (whoops), after it blew up and I figured out why the unit was shutting down so fast I put one in the right way.
The ripple was fantastic at that point, but there was a SNAP and no more output, one of the 13007's failed and is all rainbow colored.

If it weren't for the 3.3 V ripple I probably would have given this unit a Meh instead of a fail. I definitely wouldn't use it for, well, anything really.

Did we send an e-mail to Logisys pointing them to the review? LMAO!

"The big question is: Will it explode?"

BEST PSU REVIEW INTRO EVER!!!! :rofl:

EDIT:
Regarding the 5V rail voltage regulation, I see a 4.31V for the 96/50/22W test, are you sure about the 5% regulation on this rail? :D
EDIT OF THE EDIT:
I just double-checked how voltage regulation is calculated, never mind ;)

Last edited:
"The big question is: Will it explode?"

BEST PSU REVIEW INTRO EVER!!!! :rofl:

EDIT:
Regarding the 5V rail voltage regulation, I see a 4.31V for the 96/50/22W test, are you sure about the 5% regulation on this rail? :D
EDIT OF THE EDIT:
I just double-checked how voltage regulation is calculated, never mind ;)

I read that on Tom Dickson's voice.

Oh, and I laughed out loud at this.

Same Tape Rating Of Fuse! You heard it here first folks, fuses have tape ratings! I rate this fuse as “masking tape”.

Really the world needs more of these gutless wonder type of reviews. The more we can bring the failures of cheap PSUs out into the light where normal people can see it the better.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Actually that's an epic typo, that should have been 4.99, no clue at all how it became 4.31.
I'll get that fixed :D

EDIT:
With regards to calculating regulation there are two thought processes on that.
The ATX spec says the voltages need to be +/- 5%, so in 5V's case that's between 4.75 V and 5.25 V.
Most reviewers give you the regulation numbers somewhat differently, we take the highest voltage and divide by the lowest voltage, that spits out the regulation percentage (roughly, if you want to be able to copy/paste the percentage directly, it's (Highest / Lowest - 1) * 100. Or you can just mentally remove the 1 and move the decimal two places right). The ATX spec doesn't actually care if the PSU ranges from 5.25 to 4.75 during testing, just like it doesn't care whether ripple is right at the maximum or far lower. It just wants things to be in spec. Now a case could be made that if it boots at 5.25v and then droops to 4.75v it did not maintain +/- 5% of the original value. It's a complicated subject, really.
Reviewers on the other hand have rather more stringent requirements when it comes to such things. Partly because we have to, otherwise the only approved PSU would be that which is cheapest and within spec. That's boring, and nobody'd read the reviews either. Plus some people (extreme benchers, server people, that kind of thing) do need PSUs with minimal voltage deflection and minimal ripple.

Personally, I take the ATX spec to mean that it needs to be within 5% of the nominal value and stay within a range of 5% also.

Last edited:
Pretty much. The goal was to see if it'd be a functional PSU at $18.50 shipped.
The answer was: Not with those parts.

Pretty much. The goal was to see if it'd be a functional PSU at $18.50 shipped.
The answer was: Not with those parts.

sad part is with how much worth of parts did you make it halfway decent? few bucks? lol why cheap out that much when your still not losing any money on it sheesh logisys why do i still run one of your psu's! lol

Back