• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE In Win Commander III "Desert Fox" 700 W Power Supply Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

We've got a new unit from In Win here, the latest in their "Commander" series (now on it's third iteration). This unit's sub-species is the Desert Fox. It's an interesting name choice to me, as "The Desert Fox" was Erwin Rommel's nickname in WW2. He was definitely one hell of a commander, but being a Nazi not many companies name things after him. I'm assuming that the naming of this PSU is aimed more at capturing the idea of amazing performance in bad conditions than the PSU's political beliefs. I'm not sure how to test a PSU's beliefs so I'll focus on performance regardless.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the power supply reviews, always informative. I'd like to see a group of sub $50 supplies done for amusement. Sure we all spend good coin on our own machines. But what about a budget build for the kids or a relative. What do people put in a budget pc for power? I took apart a generic sub $50 power supply from my daughter's pc and almost died laughing at the lack of....well....anything on the board. It may give a lot of people second thoughts about putting a $25 power supply in a pc. :D

I love the power supply reviews, always informative. I'd like to see a group of sub $50 supplies done for amusement. Sure we all spend good coin on our own machines. But what about a budget build for the kids or a relative. What do people put in a budget pc for power? I took apart a generic sub $50 power supply from my daughter's pc and almost died laughing at the lack of....well....anything on the board. It may give a lot of people second thoughts about putting a $25 power supply in a pc. :D

For budget builds, at least for me, there's Corsair CX series, and Corsair CX series only.

I have a $13 PSU (normal price: $22ish) here for review. That'll be the next OCF PSU review I do :D
Expect it within a few weeks, there are a couple other reviews yo do first.

I didn't either until they sent me some.
On average they're pretty good units too.

Disassembling this one was kind of a pain, but that's my problem as a reviewer not yours as a consumer.

Ed,

Do you know who actually made this PSU? Obviously its Branded as InWin, but I don't think they are the one who made this.

Nope, that I don't. The UL number has been seen encountered on Enhance and Etasis units, but that just means that they used the same PCB fab plant. Given that Enhance and Etasis are both OEMs I expect that the PCB was made at a dedicated PCB plant.

InWin may do it themselves, I've heard rumors that they do, but nothing concrete.

Hi Bobnova
Thanks for interested and review our In-Win PSU.
In-Win has our own factory to manufacture computer chassis and PSU. This PSU is designed in-house by our TW team and manufactured form our China Factory.
In-Win has already manufactured our own PSU for a long time. GreenMe and PowerMan series are manufactured by In-Win also.

I enjoyed that review thanks.

That unit has some really steady voltages.
Almost made me try to change my order I made yesterday, but was a closer call on the ripple side of things so will take my chances with the Platinum Antec ;)

I like thed branding Desert Fox theme and mini history lesson.
Funnily enough I just happened to watch a historical documentary that touched on the aspects you mentioned only last month!
(gotta love those small world coincidences!)

A good sign to see close interest from InWin too, will be excellent if that carries through to customer care levels also ;)

Back