Overclockers Forums > Software > Programming Tips and Tricks
Programming Tips and Tricks
Forum Jump

Free Programming "Classes" via the Net

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 12:40 AM Thread Starter   #1
Adak

Free Programming "Classes" via the Net

This is a free programming series of lessons and exercises, being offered by Codecademy.

The only language I see right now, is Javascript, but there are other languages planned.

They offer lessons and exercises for both raw beginners, and for those with programming experience, who want to learn another language or refresh their knowledge.

They have achievements and badges, and ways to work with the social media sites, as well. Seems very beginner/user friendly:

http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0
Adak is offline Author Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
briansun1 (03-07-13), EarthDog (01-25-12), hokiealumnus (01-10-12), Quigsby (01-09-12), txus.palacios (03-07-13)
Old 01-12-12, 09:11 AM   #2
goin postal
Registered

Has anyone tried this yet?? Been interested in trying to learn some more and this could be a place to start i guess. But was wondering if it was any good??

CPU- AMD 975BE(4.2 @ 1.40v)
COOLER- Coolermaster V8
MOBO- Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H
PSU- PCPower 650W
RAM- 8GB Patriot viper Extreme ddr3-1866
GPU- Sapphire HD6790
CASE- HAX 912
goin postal is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-12-12, 09:32 AM Thread Starter   #3
Adak

The multi-millionaire Mayor of New York City is taking it, so I think it has real value. No, I'm not joking. I'll be taking the Javascript class, later this month.
Adak is offline Author Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-12-12, 12:46 PM   #4
Mehovoric

I went through it last November I think. I had a burst of interest in coding and java thanks to my best friend. It was definitely interesting. Very simple and easy to follow. But I have forgotten everything because I haven't used it since. If they added a lot more stuff I'd be interested in it again, but for the beginner it was a nice dabble into a much larger world.

Case: CM HAF 932 --- CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T --- GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) 1GB --- MOBO: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 --- RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1600 --- PSU: Kingwin Lazer 1000W --- SSD: OCZ Agility 2 120GB --- HDD: 2x1TB Western Digital Caviar Black --- x2 Screens: ASUS VE258Q Black 25"
Mehovoric is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-20-12, 09:54 AM   #5
OpaqueShadow
Registered

Tried the first few lessons, may register later, seems interesting and unusually fun. Go coding!

"Artillerymen believe the world consist of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets."
- Unknown
OpaqueShadow is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-25-12, 02:13 PM   #6
Lukee

I tried it and registered. It's pretty good for someone starting out and you can't beat free.
Lukee is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-12, 11:53 PM   #7
madhatter256
Special Member ★

gonna give this place a shot... always wanted to learn java to get into android development and possibly make a game or something

Old 02-02-12, 01:32 PM   #8
Krazy931
Registered

nice find ill check them out soon used to deal alot with java and python kinda fell out of the loop tho so this might be a good jumpstart for me to get back in it
Krazy931 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-06-13, 04:14 PM   #9
Bobnova

Back from the Deeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaad!

I've been going through the Java, it's a pretty cool setup. It doesn't check your code quite as well as perhaps it ought to, but that's OK.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-07-13, 04:58 PM   #10
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

I think this should be stickied. Or, at least, added to this.

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras
txus.palacios is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-08-13, 01:38 AM   #11
dropadrop

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
Back from the Deeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaad!

I've been going through the Java, it's a pretty cool setup. It doesn't check your code quite as well as perhaps it ought to, but that's OK.
Javascript != java

I went through most of the Javascript portion a few months ago. It was nice, but don't expect it to be more then an introduction (but do a few small personal projects after it and I imagine you'll start to really get a hang of it). Javascript IMO is a pretty good language to start with as it's simple, and these days quite widely used even outside the web (node js for example).

I second the "doesn't check your code well as it ought to" part. You can have correct syntax and it still won't work as it's expected you to do it in some certain way without telling you so. However this does not happen on most exercises, so when you get stuck on something you are sure is right, have a look at their support forums before banging your head against the wall.

Can't be bothered to finish the javascript, but I was thinking of going through the python next.
dropadrop is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-08-13, 09:44 AM   #12
Bobnova

I'm operating on the assumption that it's vaguely close, is that incorrect?
Node.js is one of the things I was looking at.

I have some experience with the Arduino IDE flavor of C, so a lot of the JS stuff is just translation of what means what. == vs === for instance (why!?). There's some new stuff that is pretty fun though, shuffling through strings is significantly easier for instance. Not having to declare variable types is weird.

Python's on my list too, largely because of XKCD.

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-10-13, 04:34 AM   #13
dropadrop

10 Year Badge

Java and Javascript have a very similar name, but the similarities end. There are other languages that are closer to Java by both technical design and syntax.

Somebody on stackoverflow defined this quite well:

Quote:
Java and Javascript are similar like Car and Carpet are similar
Old 03-10-13, 06:35 AM   #14
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

But cars have carpet in them!

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-10-13, 06:57 AM   #15
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
I'm operating on the assumption that it's vaguely close, is that incorrect?
Node.js is one of the things I was looking at.

I have some experience with the Arduino IDE flavor of C, so a lot of the JS stuff is just translation of what means what. == vs === for instance (why!?). There's some new stuff that is pretty fun though, shuffling through strings is significantly easier for instance. Not having to declare variable types is weird.

Python's on my list too, largely because of XKCD.
Code:
#/usr/bin/env python

import antigravity

def main():
    antigravity.fly()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras
txus.palacios is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-12-13, 03:15 AM   #16
dropadrop

10 Year Badge

But that said, I think there is good reason for Javascript to be on code academy, and it's as good as any (maybe even better) for learning to program. As a language I don't like it very much, but that's probably because I'm used to other things and always feel dirty when doing something with it.
Old 03-12-13, 02:37 PM   #17
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
But that said, I think there is good reason for Javascript to be on code academy, and it's as good as any (maybe even better) for learning to program. As a language I don't like it very much, but that's probably because I'm used to other things and always feel dirty when doing something with it.
You should try Access' VBA sometime, it is an absolute blast.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-18-13, 08:15 PM   #18
bmwbaxter
Premium Member #5

Started on code academy this week. Had zero coding knowledge before now, finding it easy to get into. Probably not the best out there but is a good start I think; especially for free.
bmwbaxter is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-13, 07:57 AM   #19
dropadrop

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbaxter View Post
Started on code academy this week. Had zero coding knowledge before now, finding it easy to get into. Probably not the best out there but is a good start I think; especially for free.
Yeah, and the thing is; anything you use for learning will only get you started. Before you start doing something on your own it's just getting you familiar with the tools at hand and what can be done with them. When you pick your first few personal projects (start small) you will really start to understand what you are doing and picking up fast.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Programming Tips and Tricks
Programming Tips and Tricks