Notices

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Competitive Benchmarking Team > Volt Modding & Circuitry
Volt Modding & Circuitry Calling Dr. Frankenstein! When too much is barely enough...
Forum Jump

EVGA 7600 GT - help with vmod

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-04-13, 08:34 AM Thread Starter   #1
ivanlabrie

EVGA 7600 GT - help with vmod

Well, I come here for some pointers regarding the subject...
I got some replacement caps already for what seems like cracked caps and missing ones.

Here are some shots showing the naked card:

I'm gonna try it first on air, and might go for some sandwich bag action once I get my 3770k replacement which is on its way here as we speak (Horrerblade )

Old 03-04-13, 08:52 AM   #2
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

You are def. missing a cap!

Until BobN comes in this is what google brought up: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...w=1337&bih=914

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-13, 09:18 AM Thread Starter   #3
ivanlabrie

I've seen those but wanted some more insights, specially on the repair side of things.
I don't wanna fire that sucker missing a cap and with the others caps with cracked tops.

Old 03-04-13, 09:21 AM   #4
Bobnova

I don't see any cap issues (the dented-looking polymers have the gas relief scoring put in from inside the cap instead of from outside the cap, so it looks like lines of bulge. When they fail they split open, not subtle). The missing one is an issue. I'd use a low ESR (<10mOhm) 6.3V polymer with as much capacitance as you can manage. Then II'd put another one on the back side. Originally it was probably an electrolytic.
Otherwise, those all look fine.
The line on the cap and the line on the PCB denote negative (-), with the exclusion of some Asus motherboards.

Voltmod wise this looks to be among the better guides, it'll walk you through it easily enough: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...ltmodding.html

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
ivanlabrie (03-04-13)
Old 03-04-13, 09:24 AM Thread Starter   #5
ivanlabrie

Yup, I guess that will do...Gonna get the pots and try soldering the missing cap back in place.
For now this 3ghz p4 631 should do for testing xD
Thanks for stopping by

EDIT: btw, I got a few Ketuo and Jackson branded caps...All 6.3v 1500uf ones, which should I use?

Old 03-04-13, 09:28 AM   #6
Bobnova

What are their ESR ratings?

Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-13, 09:34 AM Thread Starter   #7
ivanlabrie

hmmm

LOW
ESR

That's what I see on the JACKON one. The Ketuo one doesn't even say anything ESR related on it. Just max temp (105c) and that is ROHS compliant xD
If anything the Ketuo one is a bit bigger physically.

Old 03-04-13, 09:38 AM   #8
Bobnova

Without a known ESR spec I can't really tell you much, heh. I'd go for which ever is taller, then put a second cap on the backside.

Old 03-04-13, 10:14 AM Thread Starter   #9
ivanlabrie

Second cap on the same spot? I could both I guess xD
Do I solder them to the same legs and call it a day?
I'm gonna vmod anyway, and got spare caps one for every type the card has. Should I put dual caps on all spots?

Old 03-04-13, 10:42 AM   #10
Bobnova

Might as well, yeah. Make sure you get the polarity correct.

Old 03-04-13, 10:54 AM Thread Starter   #11
ivanlabrie

Or else...BOOM?

I will, I expect to have it done by tomorrow. Expect some results by Wednesday.

Old 03-04-13, 10:55 AM   #12
Bobnova

Yup. Best case: Cap leaks.
Worst case: Cap dead-shorts and blows MOSFETs to hell, then explodes.

Old 03-04-13, 02:35 PM Thread Starter   #13
ivanlabrie

Well, I know what to do when I get my scores and feel like blowing up stuff then...

Old 03-07-13, 09:08 AM   #14
Mandrake4565

Ivan as you know I'm planning on doing the same with my 7600gt so I hope you don't mind the hijack. I need to replace the caps on my card also. They say on the top FX75 1500 6.3, is this the replacement I should use? http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DKSea...82438018502229

G-Skill Sniper X 4g @ 1866/ Cooler Master SP 1000-------------------G-Skill Ripjaw 2133/ Seasonic X-650w
EK Supreme HF/ Thermochill PA 120.3------------------------------------Custom Benching Loop
Dual Laing D5 Vario/ Koolance Rp-452X2
BitFenix Spectre Pro 6 X 120mm

Last edited by Mandrake4565; 03-07-13 at 09:58 AM.
Mandrake4565 is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-07-13, 09:40 AM   #15
Bobnova

Link doesn't work. Can you post the part number?

Old 03-07-13, 09:57 AM   #16
Mandrake4565

Really i just clicked on it and it did, odd. Anyhow here's the #565-3229-ND

G-Skill Sniper X 4g @ 1866/ Cooler Master SP 1000-------------------G-Skill Ripjaw 2133/ Seasonic X-650w
EK Supreme HF/ Thermochill PA 120.3------------------------------------Custom Benching Loop
Mandrake4565 is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-07-13, 10:03 AM   #17
Bobnova

I think it must cache the search in your browser. I've run into that problem with digikey links before.

Those caps should work fine.

Old 03-07-13, 10:13 AM   #18
Mandrake4565

Ok thanks Bob much appreciated.

Old 03-07-13, 06:24 PM Thread Starter   #19
ivanlabrie

Well, it seems the solder I got is not too good...What's the best kind for this type of application?

Old 03-07-13, 08:37 PM   #20
Bobnova

40/60 lead/tin rosin core, 0.022", 0.031" works, but it's a bit clunky for tiny stuff.
None of that RoHS junk.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Competitive Benchmarking Team > Volt Modding & Circuitry
Volt Modding & Circuitry Calling Dr. Frankenstein! When too much is barely enough...